MHN Government Services

MHN Government Services Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Opportunities for licensed clinicians to work overseas.

Military Family Life Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsWork takes place on military bases in the United States and overseas.
    Rotational employment - length of time varies from 60 - 180 days, then typically, you change locations.
    Summer opportunities are also available.

ConsPay cuts and loss of extras, such as travel expenses and per diem for in-country assignments, makes this work less attractive than in previous years.

Baited and switched as an MFLC

Military Family Life Consultant/Counselor (Former Employee)
    Fort Drum, NY

ProsUntil 2013, the hourly pay was reasonable.

ConsManagement lies, and lies again, pay is continually cut, no effective supervision or support for employees who are willing to travel hundreds of miles for an assignment.

Until 2013 MHN exclusively ran the MFLC program for DoD. They lost much of CONUS to Magellan, which isn't much better, but at least Magellan still pays MFLCs travel costs to distant CONUS posts. Our pay was cut three times in three years, we were forced to switch to "employee" from contractor status, but with almost no benefits, no guarantee of work - MFLCs still have to apply for temporary assignments - and we had no security within an assignment, it can be changed or cut at any time.

When MHN dropped travel support, that was the last straw. I and many other MFLCs were pressured to "make ourselves local," paying for our own housing, transportation, food etc. to take assignments hundreds of miles from home, but when we got to the post, our assignments could be delayed, or changed, or reduced. My supervisor and his supervisor lied outright to me and about me concerning assignments. No competent professional who has any other options at all should tolerate MHN's treatment. They are being sued by former MFLCs - and are losing - and this may be only the first of many lawsuits.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up your act. MFLCs and Army staff are starting to talk directly to DoD upper management about you.

Position of MFLC

Military Family Life Consultant (Former Employee)
    Panama City, FL

ProsProbably the best reason to work with MHN Government Services is getting to travel to new and different locations. MHN does compensate the MFLC's for going to overseas locations through paying for travel, rental car and lodging.

ConsThey have reduced the pay two or three times in the last 3 years. Management has no respect for the employees. You are expected to go anywhere in the U.S. including Hawaii and Alaska with no paid travel, rental car or lodging.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe turnover of employees will continue at a high rate if the employees are not adequately compensated for their skills.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Upper Management lacks effectiveness

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMHN has great benefits at a relatively low cost to the employee. Great co-workers.

ConsNo advancement opportunities. Poor management - upper management not in touch with needs and requirements necessary to get the job done. You have to be a "yes" man to get anywhere in the MHNGS division.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more involved. Answer your phone/email.

MFLC Positions Stressful in Many Ways

MFLC (Current Employee)
    Junction City, KS

ProsTravel to interesting places

Able to work with military families in thanks for their service to our country

Very little paperwork

ConsToxic work environment. More punitive, than supportive, in terms of upper management

Low pay and no benefits

Micromanaged

Rotations are 6 months in length, typically, and you are required to be available to the installation where you are assigned for the entire 6 months. In other words, forget about spending holidays with your family, taking a weekend vacation, etc.

If you do not live near a military installation, you will be required to pay your own travel and living expenses.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay MFLC's a competitive salary that reflects our professional status

MFLC---Military Family Life Consultant--Sounds good, but DON'T DO IT!!

Military Family Life Consultant (Current Employee)
    Dreamworld, FL

ProsThe only pros were the travel and the pay--for a while.

ConsThe pay was good the first 3 years at $50 and hour, then was dropped to $40 per hour and rotation length was increased to 3-4 months minimum. Now they are wanting 6 months and semi employment status with no medical benefits.

They want you not to do real counseling, putting YOUR LICENCE at risk. This is why I finally quit, besides not living locally to a base, nor being willing to be away from home for 6 months at a time without being paid perdiem, put up in a hotel or given a rental car.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoD will hear about your treatment of licensed professionals very soon. Lawsuits are being prepared. get ready.

Poor Excuse for a Behavioral Health Company

San Rafael, CA

ProsCorporate office is new and cosmetically attractive.

ConsPoor leadership and bad management create a toxic environment for employees and poor service delivery for members. Talentless leadership, poor sales and bad client retention does not make this a healthy work environment for those employees who haven't jumped ship yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of your senior management team and hire some talented leaders!

Enjoyable experience, professional HR, great pay and the opportunity to work with military and their families.

Financial Counselor (Former Employee)

ProsThe ability to work day in and day out with military service personnel and their families.

ConsIndependent contractor ndt able to be an employee with this specific program

A fairly good place to work if you can deal with IT "workarounds"

ProsDecent pay, decent vacation, and flexible working hours. I have worked with some very talented people here.

ConsConstantly changing work procedures, Poor IT system and frequent IT problems. Health insurance costs more than doubling in a two year period.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take a look at the IT support and system operablility and improve it, especially for remote users.

Worked for MHN Government Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MHN Government Services reviews and ratings. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by MHN Government Services employees.