MHN Government Services

CEO

MHNGS

Current Employee - MFLC in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - MFLC in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at MHN Government Services part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The focus is on making a difference in behavioral health and wellness. It delivers a broad range of behavioral health services to Active, Guard and Reserve service members and their families as well as to Veterans. Their capabilities include non-medical counseling, state-of-the-art call centers, financial counseling, psycho-education, rapid response and victim support services.

MHNGS is focused on delivering effective behavioral health services in flexible formats to meet the diverse needs of their customers. Therefore, they provide services onsite, telephonically or online, from one day to long term, these services can be mobile and are routinely delivered worldwide.

Cons

You have to be willing to be very flexible, traveling and living away from home for long periods of time.

To be sensitive to the challenges of travel and being away from home, and the physical and mental cost required to make it happen.

Great clientele, horrible company

Former Employee - MFLC in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - MFLC in San Rafael, CA

I worked at MHN Government Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people on the military bases were incredible; the soldiers, sailors and airmen and their families were wonderful to work with.
    It was great to work overseas.

Cons

During the time I worked as an MFLC, MHN changed. We went from being consultants, (with a reducing hourly wage in a time of inflation) to being employees, with no benefits, subpar accommodations, no per diem for CONUS jobs, etc.
    The team was sometimes great, sometimes not. The Team Leads were generally unsupportive of the people in the field.

Offer a fair compensation package
    Care about our military and your staff as much as you care about yourselves.

Good Company

Current Employee - MFLC in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - MFLC in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at MHN Government Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No benefits Adding Insurance.. Allows for some independence.

Cons

Lack of security.Contract now guaranteed.

None

Keep looking......

Current Employee - MFLC
    Current Employee - MFLC

I have been working at MHN Government Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Serve military families utilizing a great model of service. The assignments provide new challenges, diverse environments, and travel experiences. Minimal paperwork and provided ability to work fairly independent within a framework of policy. Salary is above average for a licensed counselor because there is no overhead expense. Also, licensed counselor does not have the loss of income from "no show" clients or billing problems. There are some good supervisors, but they work within policy
    that dictates actions.

Cons

Primary issue is that the company will burn you, abandon you, cut your pay, change your location (MFLC pays all relocation expenses), change your assignment once you arrive, and you may only learn this with 1 day- 1 weeks notice.
    The contract the MFLC signs (must sign) basically says the company has the right to do "anything" they want to the MFLC
    without a reason.. And sooner or later they will leave you in a terrible situation without a good reason You can never complain. Although the contract says the MFLC can do the same - the company has the option not to give you your next assignment. A SPA is categorized as a full time employee but do not believe it. They continue to give SPAs what they call an SAO aka contract for 3-6mo at a time and it can be changed or cancelled at any time. SPAs pay for all business equipment,, Internet etc..
    Basically there is no security, a lot of anxiety/stress, no support, and many of the best people are gone. You get Federal Holidays (only) as vacation days, so basically it is forced vacation and you cannot take a real vacation when you want except between contracts ( and hope it will go to you). Military members have some degree of stability (as a former military spouse I experienced this) financial allowance for moves, and clauses to allow them to break a lease. MFLCs do not have any of this. It can create a hardship on the family. The company will not tell you much at all about anything. to thier benefit. They need to keep employees in place, knowing the consequences. Their contracts are lost frequently and it is getting worse. The program has changed dramatically since it began in 2004 in more negative ways than positive.

People are your product, they matter and a good leader knows this. The reason your losing DOD contracts is because of sloppy financial management, inadequate supervision of MFLCs and poor leadership. The IT program is causing more work and a financial loss at some point you need to invest in the infestructure. Everyone spends a lot of time duplicating work and fixing problems
    (Maybe compare the cost of all labor to fix computer problems vs investment of new programs). Also, you cannot conduct an adequate interview over the phone (only) the candidate needs to have a face to face. Some of the MFLCs you hire need to be in mental health treatment and have no business working with military families.
    It is embarrassing as an MFLC to work with some of the people you hire. Quality is on a downward slope.

DOD contractors can have a good reputation with core values they "live",
    strong financial management, a solid mission and purpose they integrate into decisions, adequate oversight of employees, and fair treatment.
    Leadership, creativity, ingenuity, integrity and hard work ... don't cost money.

Can Do Better

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at MHN Government Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Focus on providing mental health and EAP to government services.
    - Great cross-functional department relationships.

Cons

- Too many "band-aids" used to fix internal problems; no time to fix root cause of problems.
    - Questionable supervisors and managers; upper management (director and above) are good.
    - Talented people overworked and/or leaving company.

- Motivate workers WITHOUT using threats of replacing them.

Professional but Controlling

Former Employee - Personal Financial Counselor
    Former Employee - Personal Financial Counselor

I worked at MHN Government Services as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I worked as an on-call Personal Financial Counselor. The hourly pay rate was good and employees were well trained before going on an assignment. I was an independent contractor so I did not receive any benefits. Reimbursed for all allowed expenses promptly.

Cons

No consistency with supervision. Had a different supervisor for each assignment. Most supervisors not friendly and VERY micromanaging. Every time I spoke with a supervisor (all contact with company officials including supervisors was done through phone or email), they came across as though they didn't trust my skills and professionalism.

Have a system where subordinates are treated as the professionals they are rather than just 'faceless placeholders' at events.

I would not recommend it...

Current Employee - MFLC - Military and Family Life Counselor
    Current Employee - MFLC - Military and Family Life Counselor

I have been working at MHN Government Services as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Travel and working in other countries. Very little "paper work" i.e., case notes. Satisfaction in working with military families and helping them in their process.

Cons

There is NO work-life balance. There are NO promotions. Training is minimal with online training. Management does not treat you like a licensed professional and often use a patronizing attitude and tone. Recruiters say "nice things" and the "right things" to get you to take a position, but once you have agreed to the "rotation", there is very little support. There is no real benefits to this position. I have been an MFLC since 2006. Over the years the program has changed and the pay has definitely changed. Not worth it now...

Mgt. may want to look at work life balance, training and promotions as a way to keep quality professionals.

Bait and switch

Current Employee - Military Family Life Consultant in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Military Family Life Consultant in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at MHN Government Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Exposure to different countries. Opportunity to help military thru the sacrifices they make every day for us.

Cons

Travel will leave you high and dry, management will treat you like a child and give NO support or backing. This company knows time is running out to milk the government and steal from the "employees" they feed on. Work load will go up, pay will go down and words are about all you get. They will lie, mislead and scape goat you as a daily part of doing business. You are an annoyance always, a thief when you want paid (not always on time), an easy out when they anger the military and a deadbeat support system when you need direction and information.

Sell any stock you own...

Opportunities for licensed clinicians to work overseas.

Former Employee - Military Family Life Consultant
    Former Employee - Military Family Life Consultant

I worked at MHN Government Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work takes place on military bases in the United States and overseas.
    Rotational employment - length of time varies from 60 - 180 days, then typically, you change locations.
    Summer opportunities are also available.

Cons

Pay cuts and loss of extras, such as travel expenses and per diem for in-country assignments, makes this work less attractive than in previous years.

Baited and switched as an MFLC

Former Employee - Military Family Life Consultant/Counselor in Fort Drum, NY
    Former Employee - Military Family Life Consultant/Counselor in Fort Drum, NY

I worked at MHN Government Services as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Until 2013, the hourly pay was reasonable.

Cons

Management lies, and lies again, pay is continually cut, no effective supervision or support for employees who are willing to travel hundreds of miles for an assignment.

Until 2013 MHN exclusively ran the MFLC program for DoD. They lost much of CONUS to Magellan, which isn't much better, but at least Magellan still pays MFLCs travel costs to distant CONUS posts. Our pay was cut three times in three years, we were forced to switch to "employee" from contractor status, but with almost no benefits, no guarantee of work - MFLCs still have to apply for temporary assignments - and we had no security within an assignment, it can be changed or cut at any time.

When MHN dropped travel support, that was the last straw. I and many other MFLCs were pressured to "make ourselves local," paying for our own housing, transportation, food etc. to take assignments hundreds of miles from home, but when we got to the post, our assignments could be delayed, or changed, or reduced. My supervisor and his supervisor lied outright to me and about me concerning assignments. No competent professional who has any other options at all should tolerate MHN's treatment. They are being sued by former MFLCs - and are losing - and this may be only the first of many lawsuits.

Clean up your act. MFLCs and Army staff are starting to talk directly to DoD upper management about you.