MICROS Systems

MICROS Systems Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

MICROS Systems President & CEO Peter A. Altabef

Peter A. Altabef

Pros:
  • "Company head office is Columbia, MD, a good location close to DC and Baltimore"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Lots of travel and ability to work independently"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hours are strictly 8-5 (except once I was reprimanded for getting there at 7:55) and lunch is strictly 12-1"
    in 12 reviews
  • "you can only get a raise or promotion if you kiss butt to upper management for years"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Horrible culture, negative management, not a great place for an engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at MICROS Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Proslots of other miserable employees to commiserate with
some opportunities for up-to-date technical exposure
If all you want is a job where you show up on time and keep your head down and underperform, this is a good place to hide out and earn a decent salary.

ConsWorst corporate culture I've ever experienced. Abusive management that loves it that way.
"It's not what you know, it's who you sleep with"
Long hours, constant code death marches, little respect or trust given, excessively penny-wise.
Lots of bonuses and extra compensation to top management, but little shared with "the little people" that make it all possible.
Arrogant attitude with many major accounts.

Advice to Senior ManagementProbably impossible to simultaneously replace enough management to make this company employee-friendly.

Great pay and benefits, not much else

Senior Applications Architect (Current Employee)
Omaha, NE

I have been working at MICROS Systems full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFantastic benefits, no other company can compete. Salaries are above industry average. Great people to work with and very flexible working environment. Fast paced and every day is different, (best part of an being in an e-commerce group).

Overall the pay and benefits make it hard to leave, but there isn't much for career opportunity and growth.

ConsNot much for career growth or development. Not a lot of transparency and very micro-managed company, which tends to slow everything down when you are a 5K+ employee company. Overall behind the times in technology and not really innovating.

Still a very successful company but may get itself handed to in the next 3-5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that the company is behind the times when it comes to technology and cross platform solutions and start innovating instead of buying small companies and duct taping them together. Stop micro-managing and allow your people to do their jobs without having to deal with the mega-corporation politics.

GREAT place to work for Software Engineers

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Naples, FL

I have been working at MICROS Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros- Relatively flat organization. While there is a well defined chain of command in every function, the engineers are still empowered to take initiative.
   - The company is moving in a good direction and is staying innovative using bleeding edge technologies such as Java, ADF, Security, Web Services, SOA, Database, Mobile, Web 2.0, Web Logic, .Net
   - CTO is great visionary, highly technical and easy accessible to all engineers
   - Great trainings, open forums and general technical discussion sessions to share knowledge
   - Excellent combination of techno-business expertise of middle managements
   - Amazingly smart coworkers with diversified culture and knowledge
   - Hardworking and dedicated employees to make good products
   - Projects have a worldwide visibility and Market Leader in what they are doing
   - Good balance between work and personal life. Management respects family needs

Cons- Not flexible timing or telecommuting options
   - Naples office space is not impressive

Advice to Senior ManagementDirect communication from upper management to employees needs improvement

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Implementation Specialist

Implementation Specialist (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at MICROS Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsFreedom, creativity, meet interesting clients, flexibility in schedule. I was working in Southern California and the team there was great, as were the customers.

ConsI found the pay to be too low, below average. When I started I was all but guaranteed 10+ hours of overtime weekly, but when I got started the overtime was immediately clamped down on, meaning i made significantly less than had been originally discussed.

A great company to work with!!

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Naples, FL

I worked at MICROS Systems full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI worked here for more than 6 years and felt true pain while writing my resignation (I would never leave if I was not pursuing different career). I have gained countless work experiences and a great deal of knowledge at Micros Systems in true professional environment. In one sentence I can say “Micros is and will be my family”. And I wish all the best for their growing business.

ConsNo body is perfect, but i guess this management is exceptional!!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!! :)

A place to earn experience in one area but not for advancement career and financial wise.

I have been working at MICROS Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsIt provides a good technical experience in the application, developing, and database areas.

ConsMICROS pays below average and limit the employees career advance. If you are looking to advance your career, it is almost impossible to be promoted. if you are looking for a salary you deserve, neither a promotion or anything will give you the salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee advancement is the success of a company.

Career Growth with an industry leader

Operations Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at MICROS Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIndustry leader with a strong market presence. Paid time off (vacation, sick, personal holiday). Full benefits package. Advancement opportunities - MICROS promotes from within. 8-5 Monday through Friday work week with 1 hour lunch. Smoke free environment. Bonus potential based on work performance. Never a dull moment and always a challenge around the corner.

ConsPoor quality of food in on permises cafe. Quality of life accomodations could use a refresher (break rooms, condiments, cups, etc...).

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim the upper "fat" and invest that into the entry level positions to help turn over rates.

Just a job...get in, gather experience, then get out as soon as you find something better.

I have been working at MICROS Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsTHE Leading company in IT-Hospitality. You will come to know a lot of stuff about the best PMS & POS products around. The revenue will keep growing. Could be a lot better though.

ConsFavoritism, not enough training, pay is under the industry average, if you want to leave a department for another one when the time comes, they will try to keep you for as long as possible. No one from management will congratulate you if you do a good job.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor a #1 company in the industry, you should appreciate your employees more and pay them better.
Also, make sure managers are truly qualified to be managers, don't just promote them because you like them.

A lot of driving required

Implementation Specialist (Current Employee)
Hartford, CT

I have been working at MICROS Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat management and training program to get you familiar with the MIcros POS system. Everyone genuinely wants you to succeed. Not your average office job. You are out on the road meeting people and helping small business owners gain better visibility into their business.

ConsA Lot of driving using your own vehicle. When a site "goes live" be prepared to work all day and all night for a couple of days straight.

Good if you need a job, horrible if you want a career.

Implementation Specialist (Former Employee)
Needham, MA

I worked at MICROS Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits, an income and experience meeting different types of people

ConsThe pay is so low for the area it's live-able but you will-not-save. Bad management, older product losing momentum. Company rips customers off.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire management that knows the product/what they are doing. Not because you want a new best friend. Horrible retention rates because of this.

Worked for MICROS Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MICROS Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MICROS Systems CEO Peter A. Altabef. All 158 reviews posted anonymously by MICROS Systems employees.