MICROS Systems Reviews

Reset
2.7
MICROS Systems President & CEO Peter A. Altabef
Peter A. Altabef

Pros
  • Always plenty of work to keep you busy (in 4 reviews)

• It's a good salary for an entry level job that doesn't require a degree (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • no concept of work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management is full of "Yes-men" (in 10 reviews)

1. Good Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at MICROS Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of great talent working for this company. Great non-company supplied benefits, like free food and drinks when you open a restaurant. You meet some great people from customers to other employees. I worked for them for most of my adult career >20 years.

Cons

Hard to find a work vs life balance. The customers expect all employees to be available 24/7. Profanity is common from customers and you must have thick skin.

Advice to Management

Make sure your employees take time off and not work while off. Cost of living raises every year are not enough.

2. Micros Systems

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Miami, FL

I worked at MICROS Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility Potentially unlimited income Customer interaction Meet many different people Relative level of control over your destiny Transferable skills Opportunity everywhere Potential for entertaining interactions (potential customers can throw curve balls…)

Cons

Management changes constantly Irregular income Demanding expectations Unpredictable schedule Constant pressure to find the next opportunity

Advice to Management

Assertive in getting new business. Take a more proactive approach in setting challenging goals. Make sure the goals are specific, motivational and achievable.

Could be a good place with some direction from management

I have been working at MICROS Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relatively flexible schedule. Now that acquired from Oracle working remote is a real option. Sometimes interesting projects to work on.

Cons

No clear direction from management. Pay is below industry average. Group silos (one group does one thing, another does the next, etc) slows things down too much. Groups are way too small to get the amount of work done.

Advice to Management

Hire more people

5. Very rocky with many management changes.

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at MICROS Systems (More than 8 years)

Pros

Industry leader in the Hospitality Point of Sale arena.

Cons

Company was acquired by Oracle and the integration has been very challenging.

6. Terrible place to work

I have been working at MICROS Systems

Pros

If you have a spouse who needs a job they will get one

Cons

Career downside Even though now purchased by Oracle, nothing changes. If you get this group of Oracle, dont take the offer.

7. Accounts

Former Employee - Accounts in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Accounts in Columbia, MD

I worked at MICROS Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

much to be desired for work

Cons

Micro Manage, no need to police the work place

Advice to Management

Rules need to apply to all

Operations Supervisor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at MICROS Systems full-time

Pros

The people. I stayed as long as I did because I really liked my co-workers. Micros was a great 'starter' company for me personally. I joined in the summer of 2006 and worked as a member of the Helpdesk during my tenure with the company. Despite the miserable working conditions, the abusive treatment from the senior managers during that time, and the awful morale, I stayed because it was an opportunity for me to develop skills that would help me in the future. I have a lot of fond memories of my co-workers, and us suffering through miserable working conditions, making the best of it, people that were all trying to get their start in the tech industry. Micros didn't provide any sort of education or training - you had to learn from others working there, or on your own. Some may list this as a 'Con' but for me, it was a positive. I learn best when being 'thrown into the fire' so having to reserve engineer problems, stage databases and environments, that was all positive learning for me.

Cons

Management had a complete lack of trust in the staff. There was zero insight into how the company was performing or how each organization was performing, no company meetings to discuss roadmaps, zero internal learning/educational opportunities (aside from the first day where you sat through an overview of the company). Employees never felt a sense of ownership or responsibility because leadership never provided as much. No bonuses. No recognition for hard work or going above and beyond. No company sponsored events. No rewards.

Advice to Management

Things may have changed since I left. Regarding the call center - start trusting the hard working individuals that spend their entire day working through difficult issues with customers. The Helpdesk employees were always treated very poorly by upper management. Some examples - asking why someone needed to use the restroom, asking why someone spent X number of minutes in the bathroom, not trusting the staff to use the onsite cafeteria (there were bans on when employees could visit the cafe - not allowed during certain hours). The complete lack of trust built up a culture of fear. Employees that worked Support/HelpDesk were never valued. These people are building relationships with the customers paying for their contracts. Start showing them some respect.

9. Finance

Former Employee - Acoounts in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Acoounts in Columbia, MD

I worked at MICROS Systems

Pros

You do get some major holidays off

Cons

They help those who they prefer to help

Advice to Management

Need to pay attention to employees complaints

People were great, process and management not so much. Too much of "we always did it this way"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant

I worked at MICROS Systems

Pros

Micros hires from the industry. Which is great. I met some of the closest friends I have there.

Cons

Management and business process is severely lacking. There are way too many Silos to get things done there. And way too many people spend time CYA than on doing the actual work. Micros doesn't pay for what the industry stipulates people should make. Case in point - I got promoted to a senior level position. The position called for X amount in salary. I was making Y. X was 40% more than what I was making. I asked HR why I only got a 3% increase. And they said that they don't increase people that way. I said that the Senior position calls for this range here (stated on the intranet at the time - they've since taken it down) and she said that I will need to quite and get rehired at that rate in order to make it. I asked - but I am doing the same work - she says, that's the way we do it here.

11. Great company if you want stability

Former Employee - Development Manager
    Former Employee - Development Manager

I worked at MICROS Systems

Pros

Stability, Opportunity, growth, supportive, great learning experience

Cons

Sweat shop, Very biased, too much reorg

RSS Feed </> Embed