MICROS Systems

www.micros-retail.com
Profile Unclaimed

Fun people, can be creative at times, management needs work

I have been working at MICROS Systems

Pros

Fun people, very smart people to work with. Great learning experience

Cons

not a lot of team awareness, no accountability for employees

Not bad

Current Employee - Senior Implementation Specialist in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Implementation Specialist in Hartford, CT

I have been working at MICROS Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great to get out of the office and meet people, lots of flexibility, travel is nice

Cons

Difficult work life balance, a lot of nights and weekends, a lot of last minute work

awesome teamwork but late night work

Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Columbia, MD

I have been working at MICROS Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

helping customers provide solutions to there problems

Cons

there is no weakness people are very helping

Organized but unsatisfying culture

Current Employee - Systems Support Specialist in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Support Specialist in Columbia, MD

I have been working at MICROS Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Respectable pay for my age and experience
    - Successful company (Looks good on your resume)
    - Great job securty
    - Decent benefits

Cons

- Very strict about being on time
    - Management leads by intimidation/fear
    - Quiet workplace, 6 foot cube walls leads to a lack or collaboration amongst colleagues
    - You dont have a voice, managment is very close minded and power hungry
    - Hard work is very rarely recognized/rewarded
    - Stressful work environment/you feel as if everyone is just wating for you to mess up

Try empowering your colleagues opposed to trying to initmidate them. People want to work for others who show them repect and recognize them for the their hard work. Although, I feel like things are only going to get better with the new CEO.

Field Service Tech

Former Employee - Field Service Technician
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician

I worked at MICROS Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Always plenty of work to keep you busy. Fair compensation and reimbursement for mileage. I would gladly work for them again if my interests and career-path slow down.

Cons

I found that there were not many opportunities for advancement within the district where I worked. Also, it seemed that I had three bosses telling me what needed to be done. Often times, it was a "fire-drill" having to perform last-minute installations as well as performing the service calls.

A Restaurant equipment company that runs itself like a restaurant

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at MICROS Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

they'll hire anybody so good luck but you wont need it

Cons

too numerous to mention--no cultural values--cheap senior management(did I mention the pay was bad) not wiling to invest in extra resources--causing most to be overworked and undervalued.
    everyone's on their own with little or no company pride because management doesn't have the time or inclination to make people feel good about working there.

Start with a philosophical framework of respect for the individual working for your company--things should improve from there

Not what I signed up for

Current Employee - Project Implementation Manager in Solon, OH
    Current Employee - Project Implementation Manager in Solon, OH

I have been working at MICROS Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are nice when not totally stressed out.

Cons

I am pretty new and took the job based on being flat out lied to in the interview process. I can't believe this place still has customers. Management runs around in circles all day waving their arms. Many of these managers do not even know the business to intelligently talk to customers or train their employees. I guess it has been this way for awhile now and anyone who was of value has left the company (from what I was told)....therefore making the situation get worse. Though, I am starting to see it myself, the few quality people (with knowledge of their jobs) leaving.

Be truthful to new hires. It is obvious of the role and situation the company is in so you should not sell it as the total opposite. I understand you would not get anyone to accept if you were 100% truthful in the interview process but now all you have is people joining, realizing what the situation is and then immediately looking to get out. I can't believe any HR department is letting this happen...maybe they have no say?

Poor employee morale leads to poor overall company performance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Solon, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Solon, OH

I have been working at MICROS Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people that you work with are wonderful personalities. The retail industry is an exciting fast paced environment that is always changing so it will keep you on your toes.

Cons

The lack of accountability, mixed with extreme quantities of work and then coupled with below industry average pay for all positions creates a very poor working environment. Until the leadership is willing to deal with the 60 to 70 hour weeks including weekends with no comp time or increased salary and/or address the lack of resources directly rather than through lip-service, this company will not be a leader in the industry. The poor morale directly effects the bottom line and that needs to be recognized, not blame the situation on the employees "bad attitude."

You need to immediately address the working conditions in the company. Without creating an environment where successful people are part of delivery quality products, the talent drain will continue to occur. Don't tell people they need to be more positive. Internalize the issue and ask what can we do to better engage our employees so that they are productive in their position. That will lead to contentment and employee longevity.

It was a bad experience, I wouldn't recommend it

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Solon, OH
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Solon, OH

I worked at MICROS Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are friendly and helpful in a lot of ways.

Cons

Wild west management style with no planning (shoot every direction and hope you hit a target).

Promotions are specific to few and not based on skill set but on other factors that no one

Management is totally disconnected of the staff problems or they are ignoring it, both cases it doesn't serve the employees well.

Management gives a lot of promises without even the intent of making any change just for the sake of giving a temporary relief feeling to the employees who got used to their lies .

Most of the talented people left the company and there is no guidance within the team and new hires don't have the chance for a good training.

Be honest and stop lying to yourselves and the people around you.

Start appreciating the talents you have before you end up with a company without any talents or skills.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at MICROS Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee, though it happens to be nasty.

Cons

Horrible machines. Building our entire product on any developer's company-provided machine could take 17-22 minutes. Building on one developer's personal laptop took less than five minutes. The company as a whole cuts corners like this, being penny-wise but pound-foolish.

Horrible work hours. Within the company, it's an open secret that this company hires people on H1B visas so that they can pay them less than Americans while requiring them to work longer hours than any American would tolerate.

About once a week, you could expect to walk in at 8am and be told that some feature was promised to a client by tomorrow, and if you were one of the unlucky developers assigned to that feature, you would be working from 8am to 3am without any comp time or any form of additional compensation. Some weeks this happened multiple times, some weeks it happened a Friday and then you would be required to work straight through Saturday and Sunday into Monday, and extremely rarely, you would have a week without anyone doing this. But those were very rare.

MICROS Systems Photos