MICROS Systems Reviews

Reset
2.4
MICROS Systems President & CEO Peter A. Altabef
Peter A. Altabef

Pros
  • Always plenty of work to keep you busy (in 4 reviews)

• It's a good salary for an entry level job that doesn't require a degree (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • no concept of work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management is full of "Yes-men" (in 10 reviews)

1. Senior Software Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dunstable, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dunstable, England (UK)

I worked at MICROS Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Close to home - easy commute.

Cons

No prospects. Old technology. Shocking management.

Advice to Management

Resign!

2. Good career company

Pros

Market leading solutions and good outlook now under oracle

Cons

Slow to change but optimistic about future

3. Dunstable Office RJ Development Horrible Work Environment!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dunstable, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dunstable, England (UK)

I have been working at MICROS Systems full-time

Pros

Flexible hours to some extent based on you being able to get your work done (although this would be a given in many programming roles). A negative and a positive in one is the freedom to code change requests or bug fixes or add new functionality (given time) in any way you want. I say this could be a negative because standards would make the product much more robust, stable, scalable and maintainable.

Cons

Horrible management, criticise you at the drop of a hat if anything goes even slightly wrong yet hardly ever appreciate it when you do meet your deadlines or think outside of the box to benefit the product. Ridiculous deadlines. I mean, you would think that we were working on life support machines with the deadlines that are handed out for work to be completed. This leaves no time for learning and the general advice is to JFDI (just f-ing do it) i.e. hack to your hearts content but get the job done. Terrible ethos. Leaves many many problems when trying to maintain. Code is horribly hacked all over the place. The build process for customers etc is just a complete mess. Porting involves literally copy and pasting to different versions of RJ, leaving massive room for human error in the process. All-in-all disgusting processes. Absolutely no chance or room for improvement of processes, management will simply not allow time for improvement of software. Very much a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude here. The hiring of staff for the development of the RJ product is atrocious, interviewers promise you things which they never deliver on and ask you questions about things such as design patterns which are pretty much non-existent in the actual product. Recently 3 people left this department as a result of poor management. One of which had been working there over 6 years+ and was pushed to the brink.

Advice to Management

You are the biggest problem! You let the customers walk all over us and panic like there's no tomorrow when deadlines are missed. You leave no room for improvement in the product! This is VERY important.

5. Shockingly bad

Current Employee - Office Administrator in Guildford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Office Administrator in Guildford, England (UK)

I have been working at MICROS Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

none that I can think of

Cons

Lack of interest in staff and staff needs No empathy Only looked at employees as numbers Customer care was shocking

Advice to Management

Look after your staff or you will never have loyal workers - which in term equals bad customer experience and low morale

6. Great bunch of people

Current Employee - Developer in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

Pros

I really enjoy working in a team. Management are very understanding if you need time of wok if it is necessary. Fellow colleagues are very friendly, we have a weekly football game on mondays where great fun is to be had. Good atmosphere!

Cons

The management structure is fairly standard old style. My line manager isn't directly involved in the product I develop so doesn't know how well I am doing, or of my big achievements. Salary is not competitive and the only way to get a rise is to get promoted.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees and have more flexible working, meaning reduced hours on friday. More social events for the employees to bond as it helps during work hours as well.

RSS Feed </> Embed