MIND Research Institute

Updated October 11, 2014
Updated October 11, 2014
4.1

Dr. Matthew Peterson

Innovative and ethically sound organization that is constantly improving

I have been working at MIND Research Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Smart, engaged and intelligent employees and managers
    -Leadership has strong ethics and has created a vision for the future with a balance of 'head' and 'heart'
    -Entrepreneurial and innovative environment. Though it's becoming almost a 200 person company and has been around for 16+ years, still is nimble and 'pivots' like a start up.
    -Decent benefits for a non-profit that are improving as we become more competitive with the market
    -Sustainable, blended approach to building partnerships / revenue through both direct sales and grant funding
    -Revolutionary product that is truly making an impact in the lives of students and educators
    -Brilliant marketing and art design team that gets students and the community at large 'excited about math'. Pretty hard to do!
    -Freedom and autonomy for most employees. Many work remotely and, for the right person, this is a dream come true.
    -Internal learning opportunities and tuition reimbursement

Cons

-Benefits could be better, but as mentioned above they are improving
    -About to hit a huge growth spurt in market share, which is good problem, and will go through some growing pains on the way up
    -Work / life balance can be challenging at times especially during busy seasons, but overall it's manageable and rewarding to know that the work itself is contributing to a bigger mission
    -Career growth and upward mobility isn't clear for some positions / departments, but as the company grows there is likely to be opportunities opening up.

Continue to cultivate talent internally and gather feedback from customers to improve on our product.

#1 fan of our organization's mission and mascot

Current Employee - Director in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Irvine, CA

I have been working at MIND Research Institute full-time

Pros

MIND is an organization that is always thinking outside of the box and encourages collaboration and creativity across departments. The leadership is top notch from our co-founder and CEO who is a visionary, our Chief of Staff who puts strategies together and our VP of HR, who makes sure we have the necessary tools to help everyone succeed (just to name a few).
    When you join MIND you don't come into "another" company/organization, you join a family of very different talents and backgrounds with the same mission in mind. Besides, it's not everyday that you wear your company logo and people come up to you with such an enthusiasm and share with you the positive changes that mascot has brought to their lives. Proud to be a JiJi fan.

Cons

Growing pains and realigning of organization has people on the edge of their seats. Too many changes in too little time.

As a former employee, the experience was disappointing.

Former Employee - ESS
    Former Employee - ESS

I worked at MIND Research Institute full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The program is an excellent resource tool for teachers desiring to increase math comprehension. Some positions offer the opportunity to work from home which provides. The product is wonderful in its design and offers an excellent addition to the classroom. The company has a wealth of creative and competent individuals.

Cons

MIND Research was an exciting company to work for when I first started and the outlook for the company and employees was exceptionally high. But, as the company grew they refused to promote those employees who stood by the company, in its infancy. Poor recruitment of managers without an education background or experience weighed heavily on employee morale.

The product is a wonderful resource, but the continued layers of management, at times is unnecessary. Understanding that growth comes at a price it should not be sacrificed by a continued lack of sensitivity to those employees that do the most work at ensuring its success. Many of the managers need to give credit where credit is due, as they often credit themselves for ideas and successes on the backs of others.

Phenomenal product based on a mission with heart.

I have been working at MIND Research Institute full-time

Pros

The mission and product combine to make this company one that people can be proud to work for. As a non-profit, focus in not on the bottom line but, instead, on elevating math performance for as many kids as possible.

Everyone working there seem to really buy into the mission and enjoy working together. There are a lot of very creative, very intelligent people working there. There is almost none of the typical politicking spoken of in other organizations.

Employees have great autonomy to do their work how they feel best. There is very little micro-management.

Cons

Work-life balance has been an issue in the past. Compensation has been low in parts of the organization. Both problems have been improving, though.

Continue the initiatives to recognize work-life balance and to improve compensation to industry levels.

Lots of brilliant people, amazing atmosphere

I have been working at MIND Research Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The engineering department is full of bright people that are very eager to continue to learn and to develop a product that truly meets or exceeds the expectations of its customers. On top of that, there is little to no politics. People converge on the same objective pretty quickly, so the spirit of collaboration is one hat I had never seen before.
    Another positive aspect is that we're going through a major transition of technology and processes, so people with solid experience in the SDLC at enterprise level of maturity have a lot to add here. You'll find it very rewarding.

Cons

It's a growing company, so we still struggle with the maturity of our processes and the possibility of randomization.

Work on benefits a bit further. Continue to foster the R&D mentality while allowing for the maturing of the software development infrastructure.

Sep 10, 2014VP, HR and Talent

Thanks for your detailed feedback. We have been preparing for the tipping point. Over the last year MIND has scaled very rapidly nevertheless we still have more work to do in regards to ... More

Great product , negative HR support

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at MIND Research Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co workers are very friendly and team oriented. Great product and co founder very passionate and shares his passion to employees.

Cons

Manager was replaced which was very unfortunate the replacement was terrible to work for and took credit for others work. Too many mid management have titles that are not worthy of. Employees are not valued for their worth.

Employees need to be comfortable with approaching HR on department issues.

Sep 10, 2014VP, HR and Talent

Thank you for recognizing your talented coworkers. I am sorry you didn’t have a good experience with your manager or didn't feel comfortable approaching HR. MIND only exists because of our Talent so ... More

A good place to work & on its way to being a great place

I have been working at MIND Research Institute full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Because it's a mission-driven non-profit that lives the mission. The new CEO (one of the company founders) has made a point of emphasizing the mission and non-profit aspects of the organization, and improving the company culture (including improving benefits & opportunities to advance from within). Also the best math product out there, hands-down. You get to work with some of the smartest, most creative people I've ever met.

Cons

Some employees who have been at the company for a long time haven't really grown with the organization, and are finding they are no longer a fit, so there seems to be a bit of turnover. It may be for the best for both (company & former employees), however as long as they find something that is a better fit for them. No 401k match.

Consider adding 401k match. Continue improvements in communication and culture. Stay a non-profit!

Sep 10, 2014VP, HR and Talent

100% agree with comments. 401k match is on the radar. Cheers for your comments!

Amazing Software..Working on Scalability

I worked at MIND Research Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing software that is making a difference in students' math learning and future and because of this they will be growing tremendously over the next few years. Employees love JiJi's mission to help students learn math and be ready to take on greater challenges, and they work hard to make sure that it succeeds. Engineering is great place to work and they value their employees highly. Pay and benefits are as good as some larger companies and some benefits are better.

Cons

Company is working on scalability and working out some of the kinks. Higher than normal employee turnover at the moment - voluntary and involuntary.

Sep 10, 2014VP, HR and Talent

Very cool and accurate feedback on MIND. Over the last year, there has been a transformation with our leadership team, Mission and objectives. Dr. Matthew Peterson assumed the role of CEO in May ... More

To educate all students with Math through visual learning without words.

Former Employee - Support Operations Director in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Support Operations Director in Irvine, CA

I worked at MIND Research Institute full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with cross functional work groups and staff throughout all schools within the US.

Cons

Company layoff due to economic climate.

Sep 10, 2014VP, HR and Talent

Thanks for your contribution to MIND!

Great company - great future

I have been working at MIND Research Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very smart and motivated leadership
    Great product - really helps kids learn math
    Innovative approach to getting products into schools - the non-profit partnership with business to fund the products and programs is a great idea. This success has allowed MIND to meet its non-profit mission while continuing to raise funds via the sale of its software. I see this as a "virtuous cycle" which will help MIND to continue investing for the future and build even better products in the future.

Cons

None to speak of. As with any organization, it is not perfect, especially when it has grown so quickly over the last few years. Still-it has so much potential and (hopefully) will continue to prosper.

Make sure to stay innovative and creative, and to continue to push to be the best/premium product for helping kids understand math.

Sep 10, 2014VP, HR and Talent

Great advice and feedback! Innovation, creativity, teamwork and learning have been instrumental to our success.

MIND Research Institute Photos