MINDBODY

Updated December 16, 2014
4.3

MINDBODY Co-Founder & CEO Rick Stollmeyer
Rick Stollmeyer

Pros
  • Work life balance is outstanding as were the benefits (in 14 reviews)

• Great Product, Customers are usually people who love health and wellness which is great (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • San Luis Obispo is located four hours from both Los Angeles and San Francisco, so that can be an adjustment (in 7 reviews)

• With any young and growing company there are growing pains (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun, but demanding

Current Employee - Software Sales Specialist in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Consistent pay, fitness culture, great benefits

Cons

You will be making A TON of calls and emails. You will be treated as a number, although they will say otherwise

None

Great Company, Good Core Values, Falls short on Compensation & Benefits.

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Encouraging Atmosphere
    -Potential for Growth in an Awesome Market (Business+Wellness/Fitness+Technology)
    -Great People, Most people are so amazing and truly a pleasure to interact with
    -Great followthrough on encouraging Health & Wellness to its staff
    -CEO is very Real/Down-to-Earth and Truly Likable

Cons

-The lack of actual professionals who are experienced both in business and educational backgrounds related to their jobs
    -Compensation, this is not a joke.
    -The job description vs the actual day-to-day work is wildly different and more difficult
    -20 Days Paid Time off/Sick Days... Beware this is a very important detail
    -Work-Life balance is often preached with little opportunity to actually have balance, work is extremely stressful due to the lack of communication, lack of product training, lack of experienced leadership and lack of inter-departmental coordination/communication
    -There is no real training on the product, its trial by fire even after more than a year i wish i had the opportunity to truly learn the software properly, there are no such opportunities currently to learn the advanced mechanics of how the software is designed to function

Wake Up! There is time to lay down a foundation and create a MINDBODY 2.0 a better MINDBODY

-Start raising your Hiring standards, just because someone is a neighbor, friend or roommate to someone else; that's not a real reference
    -Identify catalysts, people with the power to lead/innovate/move the company forward in the future. Scout for these people. identify, support and listen to these people they are more in touch with the dept, teams & clients than you realize. Nobody ever asks me, "How can we better support you and help you do your job better? Are there any critical elements that you see could help us better do business and improve our process for the better? Whats broken, what works? etc."
    -Develop a better way to allow for cross-departmental communication I have no clue the processes for other teams its as if we are a company with all departments spread so far and wide that nobody knows what anybody else is doing.

Listen, we all all willing to help make MINDBODY the best place to work and most of us put a lot of pride and effort into our work. The current MINDBODY fails on its core value of Continuously Evolving because even though we may have new products, our resources for support, ongoing training, asking for feedback to better improve back-end processes are based on a 100> person company and in need of serious Evolution.

Sep 8, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Lots of good stuff in your review! Thank you! I’d love to respond to a few of your comments in detail:

1.Our new Director of Learning and Development is focused on the new hire experience and
    ... More

Great company culture and work-life balance. Experiencing growing pains

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance and relaxed and healthy company culture

Cons

Compensation, not a lot of room for vertical movement

Identify employees strengths to consider best role

Job at Mindbody

Current Employee - Data Analyst in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at MINDBODY part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome Work/Life Balance and great people to be around.
    Love working here and enjoy going to work each and every day!

Cons

Small town, but still a lot of things to do.

Great people, they truly love what they do.

Great culture, executive team, and promising future

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paid time off is the highest I've ever seen at any company, I work with/for great people, and I have received five promotions in less than two years at MINDOBDY

Cons

Although San Luis Obispo is a great place to live, having qualified people nearby to fill open positions is a challenge.

Perhaps some more formal professional development: certifications, workshops, seminars, etc could help nurture the talent already at MINDBODY while providing the expertise and experience to people that are already a great fit culturally.

Fun workplace; Terrible pay

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's an awesome company to work for. Generally young professionals. Plenty of recreational activities to do around the office (ping pong, Foosball, basketball) on your breaks. Also, $65 a month for wellness (massages, haircuts, yoga, etc...!) The CEO is friendly and a presence around the office, and the SLO area is hard to beat as far as a location.

Cons

Their payscales are insanely off. If you are applying, do some research about the average pay for your position, and then dock 40% off of it and that's what MINDBODY will pay. Its absolutely ridiculous. Most people don't mind because they love working here and all that core value BS. If you don't make a commission (which is everyone besides sales department), you are affected by this. It's MINDBLOWING how they seem to think the pay is fair for some of the positions (like my own, especially).

The constant growth is a bit annoying. Instead of hiring more people, which is honestly not needed AT ALL, why don't you pay current employees what they should be getting paid. This position is only going to be a resume builder for me, as you can't live a comfortable life based on their current payscale.

Aug 26, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback! One thing we love about Glassdoor is the transparency they offer for pay scales and salaries. We welcome you to check out the salaries posted on our account and do some ... More

Great Company to work for as long as you don't need to be paid much.

Current Employee - Data Conversions Specialist in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Data Conversions Specialist in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing environment and culture, people are great and really care about each other and the job. Great benefits and great equipment and furnishings. Good management and executives that care about employee's work life balance and want you to promote and succeed and lots of growth potential. All together one of the most amazing places you can work for.

Cons

For my current position of Data Conversions Specialist, they pay about 10K less than the industry standard while insisting they are on par. This very site shows they are not, not to mention this is an expensive area to live in while getting paid less. Its true we are very well taken care of, I just don't feel like it should have to be a choice between getting well paid or well taken care of. If my wife had not had such a good paying job, I would not have even be able to except this one. don't get me wrong I'm glad I'm here but they need to get up to date with the pay scale/s, if the others are off. Not sure about other departments!

I would strongly advise you take a better look at what we do, and the type of person and skills it takes to do this with live data in active databases. Then review the industry pay standards for this job on this site, or numerous others, and keep in mind we live in a very high price area. Not to mention this is not a job just anybody can do. Other than that, great company, good people and the best culture I have ever worked in.

Jul 22, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your helpful review! MINDBODY strives to pay competitive wages factoring in the cost of living on the Central Coast. Our core value of continuously evolving is as much about evolving to ... More

Opportunities for growth in an expanding organization

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with innovative people in a company that's expanding so quickly means that employees have tons of opportunities for personal and professional growth. The work environment is welcoming and supportive, and sets everyone up to do their jobs well. Flexible schedules and a focus on maintaining a work-life balance mean that employees aren't just living to work, and most people seem really happy here. Perks like vouchers that you can spend on wellness-related services like yoga classes, gym memberships, etc. are nice. And, you can't beat the central California coast location for weather or beauty.

Cons

The only thing I've missed while living and working here is the big city. San Luis Obispo is located four hours from both Los Angeles and San Francisco, so that can be an adjustment. There is also the challenge of working in a company that is adjusting as it grows, but that can be exciting, too. The only other con I can think of is that while Insurance plans for individuals are very reasonable, they become more expensive for families.

I hope the management team will keep the work-life balance and company culture in mind as we continue to grow as an organization. I'd also like to see an increased focus on the company's commitment to being environmentally conscious--they're already doing well in this area, but there is always more to be done!

Jul 22, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

We’re definitely not a big city. Just think of all the traffic and smog you escaped! Moving anywhere new is an adjustment, and we are honored that joining MINDBODY was a worthwhile move for your ... More

Fun.

Current Employee - Implementation Coach in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Implementation Coach in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Within working here 1 year they encourage you to move within the company, and apply to different positions. They even have a team that will help you out. Everyone is friendly and always smiling, creates a good working environment. Also, they encourage you do live an active life with the wellness program, and makes it easy to leave work at work.

Cons

I would say pay for certain positions could be better. No incentives in some departments, so there is not much incentive to better yourself within that position other than for self satisfaction. Not much recognition within some departments.

Pay. Some departments seem to be the underdogs, when in reality they are very important for the success of the company, but do not seem to be compensated to satisfaction for what they do. If pay can not change, then at least giving recognition.

Aug 5, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

This is right in so many ways. We've got to look at every department and their structure to continuously evolve as a company. MINDBODY is proud to offer performance bonuses to those who go above ... More

Best Job in the Best Town on Earth

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely love working at MINDBODY. The last three years have been a growing experience, not only in job opportunity, but also in my wellness and personal life. I love coming into work, working with the people I work with, and knowing that I'm contributing to the success of our clients. We work hard to stay true to our mission statement, which is "Leveraging Technology to Improve the Health and Wellness of the World."

Cons

None. Work hard to standout, provide as much value as you can, and opportunity will follow.

Keep our culture alive - we've got something special going on here. :) The culture is still as great as it was 3yrs ago, but let's make sure it stays that way. WooHoo! :)

Aug 5, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for your review! With any growing company the key is maintaining what employees love about the place. We definitely don't want to see our culture change ( unless, of course, it grows in ... More