MIT

MIT Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated Jul 15, 2014

MIT President L. Rafael Reif

L. Rafael Reif

Pros
  • The work/life balance was also very good for this position(in 14 reviews)

• Exposure to cutting edge science and an invaluable professional network(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can blend to be one ambiguous blob(in 13 reviews)

• People stay very late for doing research, not ideal for graduate students who have families(in 13 reviews)

324 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to work

Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsMIT offers great benefits, including tuition assistance, good insurance, and a good 401k match. There is a real sense of community at MIT, and my coworkers were excellent. The work/life balance was also very good for this position.

ConsThere was not a clear career path, and it was a little difficult to find the next step. But if you met with HR and tried actively to stay in the community, you could find a job in project coordination and eventually management.

Relationship-centered

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsPeople are great. You feel like you're working toward the MIT mission. Entrepreneurial for employees. Access to world-class research, lectures, etc. Can find a good work/life balance.

ConsCan be difficult to grow a career there. Very political. Aspires to be a meritocracy but not there yet. More budget should go into administrative infrastructure.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the needs of your managers. Hire managers who know their stuff and let them do it. Communicate more.

If you want to learn, there isn't a better place on Earth

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsAccess to the best academics in the world. Friendships that will last a life time.

ConsInsane culture of hard work. Sink or swim. Might actually a Pro to work with others who are serious about their craft. Work place depends on your advisor. Do research on which PI will be best for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementSmartest people in the world, sometimes need management training too.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting Place to work

Research Engineer (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsWorking on cutting edge technology. Looks really good on a resume. Access to lots of employee benefits to include cell phone discounts and commuter discounts.

ConsMaybe it's just the place that I work but I am grossly underpaid. That being said my review is coming up in a few months and I plan on letting them know how the rest of the community is being paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees at competitive rates or risk the ones that don't rely on a comfortable place to work leaving.

Busy but interesting

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsYou can have very excellent coworkers, or lab mates.

ConsIt might be a little hard to balance your study and research work. Both course load and research work are not easy.

Epic dysfunction at one of the top b-schools in the country--but great benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsMIT offers exceptional benefits, including amazing tuition reimbursement opportunities and full-time health benefits for half-time work. In addition, you have the chance to work with some outstanding people and, depending on the role, deal with some interesting issues.

ConsDysfunction is sweeping and systemic. Politics are rife at any university, but the intensity of the politics depends on who's leading the school at any given time. Under present leadership at the business school, politics are especially frenzied. Bureaucracy is such that the unfit are rarely fired and often promoted to leadership positions. The politically skilled rise swiftly; some are talented at other things, and some are not, but political skill trumps everything.

Amazing place, full of technology

Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

Pros- great people to work with (smart, creative, friendly, and helpful)
    - surrounded by the latest technology
    - excellent facilities and resources for whatever you want to make
    - exciting research topics in every department
    - great location (right next to Boston)

Cons- crazy workload (don't forget to eat your meals!)
    - paperwork takes forever to go through
    But overall, not too much to say here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the sense of freedom and invention that I've loved about this place!

Research Associate

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsResearch oriented around applications, collaborative in depth research

ConsVery competitive environment, might run into aggressive people who are not helpful to others

Excellent research environment

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsQuality of the people conducting research

Conswork-life balance is not the best

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Experience at MIT

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsHigh end research environment opportunities. Good courses and materials to learn about a wide variety of topics

ConsBad work life balance and stressful

Worked for MIT? Contribute to the Community!