MIT

MIT Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated Jul 26, 2014

MIT President L. Rafael Reif

L. Rafael Reif

Pros
  • The work/life balance was also very good for this position (in 14 reviews)

• Exposure to cutting edge science and an invaluable professional network (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can blend to be one ambiguous blob (in 13 reviews)

• People stay very late for doing research, not ideal for graduate students who have families (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights
325 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

MIT: Freedom of Academic

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsContact with smart, driven people across a range of sectors

ConsCareer development is entirely up to you, no one is going to help you.

Advice to Senior ManagementStructure more career development

Probably the most intellectually rewarding place on the planet!

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

Pros- Incessant pool of intellectual stimulus
    - Exposure to the most cutting-edge research in science and technology
    - Youthful and vibrant city of Cambridge

Cons- Salaries/stipends are not exactly commensurate with the uber-expensive surrounding of Cambridge
    - Lack of subsidized housing for most grad students
    - Unpaid TA positions (not the case at that other school in Cambridge)

BEST years of MY CAREER

Director (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsMIT provided me multiple opportunities to pursue new areas of expertise. The leadership and culture fostered respect and deep cultural values for individuality and professionalism.

ConsDepartments can be quite large and at times one could question, "Does anyone know I am here?" However, camaraderie and opportunities to grow abound. No matter what interest you may have, someone at MIT was working on it and making the world a better place.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing - a remarkable place for dedicated professionals in every field.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good experience for grad students

Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

Proscan't do better science, cutting edge research

Consoverwhelming at times, no work life balance

My lab at MIT was one of the nicest work environments I ever worked in.

Technical Assistant (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsI loved my lab. Everyone was really nice and accepting and friendly. The work was fast-paced and challenging. There were lots of opportunities for growth, because of the mentorship style of the people inside the lab (i.e. the post-docs, graduate students, etc.). Although it took some time to figure out, I realized that you had to make your own opportunities and network with people and ask to meet their friends, etc.

ConsNot as much friendliness/companionship between labs. I wish that I had more opportunities to become friends with my colleagues outside of work. It seemed here that people came to work and were friends at work and then left work and didn't see each other much outside of work. This varies from lab to lab, though.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. I wish that I worked here longer.

Great place to be an RA.

Graduate Research Assistant At MIT (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsYou get paid for writing your own thesis. Also, you get to go to conferences.

ConsTaking classes while doing research is almost impossible. Also, people don't really have a social life around here.

I have never been able to identify with as many people as I have at MIT.

Graduate Research Assistant At MIT (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsYou have a lot of flexibility and are growing a network of truly amazing people. (The best and brightest people in the world)

ConsThough you are working toward your ph.d. the salary is meager and you are uncertain about the exact duration of your studies.

Interesting and Challenging in every way possible.

Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Prosthe challenge and the steep learning curve. also, the school expectancy that its students should be proficient in more than one field of science. A very good place to meet exceptionally smart people. also, it was surprising how much money the school pay for student group for extra-curricular activities

ConsHard. sometime depressing. challenging research topics. not all departments have a system in place to graduate their students in 5 years or less

Advice to Senior Managementbetter screening accepting students. sometimes it seems they dont match well a student profile/knowledge/background to a research topic. Not all departments have a good system in place for student development and research progress

Administration is Old School

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsIf you are content to be a drone with no prospects for growth or learning, this is your place.

ConsManagers are the worst. Morale is poor. No one really cares about their job. Typical employee goal is to do as little as possible and if something goes wrong blame everyone around them.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to change the company culture.

great people! great work!

Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

Prosthe world's experts in many fields are just down the hall. easy to approach people and talk to them. generally, the researchers and grad students are very friendly and open to discussions. people are usually excited and very motivated by their work.

Conspostdoc salary could be higher.

Worked for MIT? Contribute to the Community!