MIT

Updated Apr 15, 2014

MIT President L. Rafael Reif

L. Rafael Reif

270 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

My lab at MIT was one of the nicest work environments I ever worked in.

Technical Assistant (Former Employee)
Cambridge, MA

I worked at MIT as a contractor for less than a year

ProsI loved my lab. Everyone was really nice and accepting and friendly. The work was fast-paced and challenging. There were lots of opportunities for growth, because of the mentorship style of the people inside the lab (i.e. the post-docs, graduate students, etc.). Although it took some time to figure out, I realized that you had to make your own opportunities and network with people and ask to meet their friends, etc.

ConsNot as much friendliness/companionship between labs. I wish that I had more opportunities to become friends with my colleagues outside of work. It seemed here that people came to work and were friends at work and then left work and didn't see each other much outside of work. This varies from lab to lab, though.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. I wish that I worked here longer.

BEST years of MY CAREER

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at MIT full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMIT provided me multiple opportunities to pursue new areas of expertise. The leadership and culture fostered respect and deep cultural values for individuality and professionalism.

ConsDepartments can be quite large and at times one could question, "Does anyone know I am here?" However, camaraderie and opportunities to grow abound. No matter what interest you may have, someone at MIT was working on it and making the world a better place.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing - a remarkable place for dedicated professionals in every field.

Good experience for grad students

Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee)

I have been working at MIT full-time for more than 5 years

Proscan't do better science, cutting edge research

Consoverwhelming at times, no work life balance

Great place to be an RA.

Graduate Research Assistant At MIT (Current Employee)
Cambridge, MA

I have been working at MIT part-time for more than a year

ProsYou get paid for writing your own thesis. Also, you get to go to conferences.

ConsTaking classes while doing research is almost impossible. Also, people don't really have a social life around here.

I have never been able to identify with as many people as I have at MIT.

Graduate Research Assistant At MIT (Current Employee)
Cambridge, MA

I have been working at MIT full-time for more than a year

ProsYou have a lot of flexibility and are growing a network of truly amazing people. (The best and brightest people in the world)

ConsThough you are working toward your ph.d. the salary is meager and you are uncertain about the exact duration of your studies.

great people! great work!

Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee)
Cambridge, MA

I worked at MIT full-time for more than a year

Prosthe world's experts in many fields are just down the hall. easy to approach people and talk to them. generally, the researchers and grad students are very friendly and open to discussions. people are usually excited and very motivated by their work.

Conspostdoc salary could be higher.

Research Institute

Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee)
Cambridge, MA

I have been working at MIT full-time for less than a year

ProsPersonal growth in a research environment. Good work-life balance.

ConsLow salary. Difficult road ahead in getting a faculty position.

Mind and Hand at the Institute

Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee)

I worked at MIT full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMIT can be a stimulating and interesting environment to work in.

ConsSome of he Faculty, although world class, can be very high handed and dismissive of support staff.

Amazing place to work, challenged every day

Associate Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at MIT full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI work with students and am constantly challenged (in a good way) to learn more and do more. Very stimulating and overall excellent colleagues. Culture is a good fit from other top tier institution down the road - very down to earth. I am well-compensated for the work I do interfacing with students

ConsNo real career trajectory - have had the same title for 5+ years. Very political so you have to be able to "play the game," which is not always easy to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about the loyal, hard-working, results-producing employees (the "A" players), and how to help them, rather than spending energy on the mediocre or underperforming employees. Also, keep compensation competitive.

Great place to be with a work and life balance!

I have been working at MIT full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMIT is a great place to work! There are many opportunities to learn with their tuition reimbursement and everyone is very nice. There are many opportunities to participate in different groups and teams.

ConsTime to finish everything to keep learning . . .

Worked for MIT? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MIT reviews and ratings in Cambridge, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MIT CEO L. Rafael Reif. All 270 reviews posted anonymously by MIT employees.