MIT Lincoln Laboratory

MIT Lincoln Laboratory Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014

MIT Lincoln Laboratory Director Eric Evans

Eric Evans

Pros:
  • "work/life balance, smart people, access to the resources of MIT"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Benefits, interesting work, some freedom to perform research with personal interest"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is a consensus that most group leaders are poor managers"
    in 6 reviews
  • "I heard it's hard to get a full-time position there"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place, interesting work

Assistant Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time for more than a year

ProsWork is usually very interesting
Work-life balance is fantastic
Benefits are the best I've seen
Chance to work across multiple domains
Learn new things daily and use/invent cutting-edge technology

ConsCompensation is highly dependent upon academic credentials (degree)
Sometimes projects feel stale
If you're not self-motivated, it is hard to succeed

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep looking for interesting work to advance technology rather than chasing dollars.

Not happy with the culture of the lab

Assistant Staff (Former Employee)

I worked at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time for less than a year

ProsMost employees and supervisors are easy to talk to. The lab invests in employees through tuition assistance. It is friendly to people with family, providing flexible hours, health benefits, and vacation days. The lab is investing in emerging areas like bioinformatics and is unlikely to go down.

ConsThe pay is below average in comparison to tech industry. The lab is bureaucratic. The employee headed social groups are equally bureaucratic and awful. There are little social interactions across the lab. Group cultures differ by a lot. A few supervisors are supportive of the employees, but they are very few. There is a consensus that most group leaders are poor managers. There are service groups that are bad place to be if you are young, intelligent, and driven. Many groups persist old boy school culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the culture. Retain competitive people who are good at managing and in technical skills.

Great projects and very smart people.

Technical Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou can find an expert in nearly every area, and they all are easy to talk to. Good mix of research/academia and industry. Opportunities to publish for those willing to put in the extra effort. Great benefits and vacation policy.

ConsFlat organizational structure is great in many ways, but it could take a while for employees to get used to the fact that management cannot track all the moving parts all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany staff members feel that they don't get enough positive and negative feedback. Let people know when you would prefer them have to say they're sorry rather than ask for permission.

Summer Intern

Summer Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at MIT Lincoln Laboratory as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat environment with very supportive managers. There are a couple events for interns to get to know each other, and a group of us usually had lunch together. You are surrounded by extremely intelligent and motivated people.

ConsProject was very boring, a side project that even my supervisors did not want to be on. It was disappointing to see such great work going on around us and be on this project for the whole summer.

Mar 22, 2014

We are glad that your overall experience was good. We try to provide assignments that are engaging and as you noted there was a lot of good work going on. Hopefully having been surrounded by ... More

Best Place I've worked in my 15 year career, so far!

Radar Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros> Great Academic Environment.
> Support and Education of Junion Staff highly encouraged
> Many, Many different kinds of work at MIT/LL, just depending on your specialty
> Awesome Co-workers
> Greater Sense of Community amongst all staff and no real distinction was made to contractors and lab staff who were part of all part of a team working for the ultimate program goals
> Eric Evans is a great Lab Leader!

Cons> Promotion System within the lab, the controversial "Ladder" for all employees
> Getting a Clearance can be a pain and waiting game!
> Days can keep you VERY, VERY busy... sometimes it felt like we were understaffed!

Advice to Senior ManagementMy last year of employment was 2003, and I'd really like to get back to work there! ASAP!

Great place to be a contractor

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at MIT Lincoln Laboratory as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsI was at the lab for many years as a contractor. Interesting work. Interesting travel opportunities on occasion. Opportunity to learn. Nice fitness center.

ConsContracting can get tiresome. Regular employees get so many holidays it can be hard on contractors to get their 40 hours in. Frustrating not to be able to convert to full time. Full time salaried employees are set for life with great job security and benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let good people get away. :-)

Mar 22, 2014

Contractors contribute to our mission in many ways. Conversion to regular employment does happen with some frequency but is dependent on need and other factors. It helpful that you noted that a ... More

Enjoyable internship experience with interesting, real-world project

Summer Intern (Former Employee)

ProsAs an intern:
You are provided housing at the MIT dorms
There is transportation to the Lab (from Cambridge to Lexington)
There are many other interns to interact with (I was in a team of interns)

Also, HR is very helpful.

ConsI heard it's hard to get a full-time position there.

Mar 22, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide input. It is nice to hear that you had a good internship experience. I am very proud of the job that our team does in coordinating the intern program. With ... More

highly technical people

Summer Research (Former Employee)

Proscoworkers are smart
good projects
being there allowed me to be exposed to high caliber people

Consbuildings are dreary, somber mood
weather is bad and there is not much to do in the area

Mar 22, 2014

We hope being exposed to high caliber people was a valuable part of your intern experience. We are in the midst of another strong hiring cycle for summer research interns and are looking forward to ... More

A pleasure to work for and be a part of

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MIT Lincoln Laboratory

ProsGood pay, friendly people, challenging work

Consnone to be of much concern

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Mar 22, 2014

We appreciate your comments and are pleased that you had a good experience. The challenging work that we do is one of our employee's biggest motivations.

Great place to work!

I have been working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits, flexible hours, good people, smart people, healthy working environment, meaningful work, just an all around great place to work

ConsI think some people can get annoyed with all the security but I know it comes with the job. It is located on a Air Force Base.

Jan 30, 2014

Thanks for your insights. It is true that security is a big part of the work experience here. The Lab was recently recognized with a top award for excellent security practices. It is an important ... More

Worked for MIT Lincoln Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!

MIT Lincoln Laboratory Videos

MIT Lincoln Laboratory – Why Work for Us?

Rich Technical Challenges The real-world challenges of U.S. security and protection provide a continuously evolving array of satisfying, cutting-edge research and development opportunities. Agile thinkers will enjoy… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MIT Lincoln Laboratory reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MIT Lincoln Laboratory CEO Eric Evans. All 74 reviews posted anonymously by MIT Lincoln Laboratory employees.