MIT

MIT Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

MIT President L. Rafael Reif

L. Rafael Reif

Pros
  • The work/life balance was also very good for this position(in 14 reviews)

• Exposure to cutting edge science and an invaluable professional network(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can blend to be one ambiguous blob(in 13 reviews)

• People stay very late for doing research, not ideal for graduate students who have families(in 13 reviews)

Great place

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsNice people, smart students, great community

ConsCareer advancement is not very easy for staff.

Amazing place to work if you are not in the one particular division.

ProsThe chance to work with the most outstanding students and faculty in the world, an entrepreneurial culture, the ability to prove yourself to a demanding audience, and a culture that allows you to collaborate based on merit and not on position.

ConsOne division has amazing professionals hobbled by fearful and dishonest senior leadership that stop them from being great. People are forced to compromise their ethics and abilities or leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the turnover in divisions over the last 5 years and ask why so many people would leave one division.

Eye opening, educational, overwhelming, fun, invigorating.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou are working with "the smartest guys in the room," determining the future of the smartest kids in the country. It's quite a responsibility - one taken extremely seriously, yet I don't know when I have ever laughed more at a job in my life! Working in admissions at MIT was and always will be one of the highlights of my career in education.

ConsLong hours reading endless applications. Making sure you stop when students start to sound alike because you're tired. Then it's time to put the applications away and start again later.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

grad student

Prosoverall good school and education

Conslittle to no institutional support.

Research that has meaning

Research Associate (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsGreat minds, great research and opportunities

ConsMade me want to work too hard because it was so interesting!

tremendously intellectually fulfilling, but grueling and extremely demanding

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsIf you enjoy the opportunity of working with some of the brightest minds in the world, both faculty and students, as well as investigating a field of interest that you have chosen and developed yourself, you will love working at MIT.

ConsIf you enjoy strict working hours, and highly defined responsibilities, and a lot of team projects then MIT may not be the place for you. It's for self-directed, highly motivated, highly autonomous people. Boston is an extremely expensive city and it's mostly suburban, so be prepared for a commute.

Advice to Senior ManagementMIT "management" (really administration) are tops- I have never worked with more understanding or positive administration.

Amazing place to be

Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsThis is an amazing place with some of the best peers and colaborators in the world. MIT has strong ties to many people and sectors so finding a network to support a new project or idea is easy. The hours are often flexible.

ConsThere is a strong culture of always needing to do better and a sense that what one produces is never as good as it should be.

Great School for Graduate Degree

PhD Candidate (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Prostalent pool, creativity, intelligence, funding, career, opportunities

Conscompetitiveness, bubble, over-achievers, mental sanity

Research opportunities highly variable

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsCan get involved in fantastic research opportunities. Very flexible (at least for me) vacation/ holiday/ work scheduling. Very nice benefits.

ConsCan get stuck doing something awful - each fiefdom is drastically different in personality (mostly based on whomever is running said lab/department/etc). The fact that so much paperwork has to be dealt with in *paper* in this day and age is a bit ridiculous. Salary was a joke.

World class graduate eduction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExposure to cutting edge science and an invaluable professional network

ConsGraduate stipend is just enough to get by

Worked for MIT? Contribute to the Community!