MIT

MIT Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

MIT President L. Rafael Reif

L. Rafael Reif

Pros
  • The work/life balance was also very good for this position (in 14 reviews)

• Exposure to cutting edge science and an invaluable professional network (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can blend to be one ambiguous blob (in 13 reviews)

• People stay very late for doing research, not ideal for graduate students who have families (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsNice people, smart students, great community

ConsCareer advancement is not very easy for staff.

Inspiring Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsMIT is a wonderful place to work. If you are in admin staff you can count on solid opportunities for career development, generous vacation benefits, and great people around every corner. I have taken advantage of the TAP program (Tuition Reimbursement) and the pension and for many years used MIT Medical which has a small-town, caring, competent staff.

ConsPerformance reviews can be something you need to ask for. Dealing with some of the Ivory Tower perspectives can be maddening.

Amazing place to work if you are not in the one particular division.

ProsThe chance to work with the most outstanding students and faculty in the world, an entrepreneurial culture, the ability to prove yourself to a demanding audience, and a culture that allows you to collaborate based on merit and not on position.

ConsOne division has amazing professionals hobbled by fearful and dishonest senior leadership that stop them from being great. People are forced to compromise their ethics and abilities or leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the turnover in divisions over the last 5 years and ask why so many people would leave one division.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Eye opening, educational, overwhelming, fun, invigorating.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou are working with "the smartest guys in the room," determining the future of the smartest kids in the country. It's quite a responsibility - one taken extremely seriously, yet I don't know when I have ever laughed more at a job in my life! Working in admissions at MIT was and always will be one of the highlights of my career in education.

ConsLong hours reading endless applications. Making sure you stop when students start to sound alike because you're tired. Then it's time to put the applications away and start again later.

grad student

Prosoverall good school and education

Conslittle to no institutional support.

Fulfilling mission, grueling hours, highly dysfunctional culture

ProsThe work could not be more meaningful. You're working alongside the world's brightest minds on the most interesting problems. You'll have the freedom to work autonomously to solve fascinating problems of great importance.

ConsMIT's highly dysfunctional culture presents a big challenge to keeping talented people. Some will never leave because they "drank the kool-aid," (so the saying goes at the Institute) and believe that there's no place for them outside the Cambridge bubble. I didn't realize how bad it was until I went to Silicon Valley and learned what kind of lifestyle is possible when one prioritizes and balances lifestyle, career and family.

The work is grueling and extremely hard. Depending on your position, expect to work 60+ hours per week. You'll be answering emails throughout your weekend, evening, family time and yes, even in the middle of the night. It's an email-heavy culture, and people respond right away, even at the oddest of hours (you'll be expected to do the same).

There's also a lot of competition, jealousy and perfectionism -- a result of the strict academic culture that permeates every aspect of MIT life. Those who are willing to sacrifice their sleep, sanity and marriages get ahead. A favorite (well-known) professor of mine always looked filthy and in need of a shower (how many times I wanted to wash her hair for her). Between her small children and teaching and research career, showering just seemed like a luxury.

Institute leadership is dysfunctional, paranoid, demanding and petty. The culture got somewhat better after President Reif took over MIT, but it's hard to change long-standing attitudes and frankly the craziness of the administration.

MIT could also do a better job of retaining and EQUALLY PAYING female employees.There's an unspoken 15% ceiling on raises, even if you get a raise and take on a big leap in responsibilities. When you come into a position already being paid less than your male colleagues, the gap widens every year. Resentment sets in when you're fairly senior in your career, but get $15,000 - $25,000 less than the men who were hired after you.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership: therapy, weekends, better values and priorities
    HR: pay women equitably; do salary surveys to ensure that gaps in pay don't widen as employees advance

Good place to start

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorked on every part of the company, emails, marketing, registration, set up, strike down, committee meetings, lunches etc. Wide variety of experience

ConsVery small team of people, relied upon volunteers

Research that has meaning

Research Associate (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsGreat minds, great research and opportunities

ConsMade me want to work too hard because it was so interesting!

tremendously intellectually fulfilling, but grueling and extremely demanding

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsIf you enjoy the opportunity of working with some of the brightest minds in the world, both faculty and students, as well as investigating a field of interest that you have chosen and developed yourself, you will love working at MIT.

ConsIf you enjoy strict working hours, and highly defined responsibilities, and a lot of team projects then MIT may not be the place for you. It's for self-directed, highly motivated, highly autonomous people. Boston is an extremely expensive city and it's mostly suburban, so be prepared for a commute.

Advice to Senior ManagementMIT "management" (really administration) are tops- I have never worked with more understanding or positive administration.

Amazing place to be

Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsThis is an amazing place with some of the best peers and colaborators in the world. MIT has strong ties to many people and sectors so finding a network to support a new project or idea is easy. The hours are often flexible.

ConsThere is a strong culture of always needing to do better and a sense that what one produces is never as good as it should be.

Worked for MIT? Contribute to the Community!