MITRE

www.mitre.org

MITRE Reviews

Pros
  • people pretty much respect your schedule and are supportive of work life balance(in 121 reviews)

• Good Benefits; however, not as good as they were 25 years ago(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance has deteriorated as well as benefits(in 11 reviews)

• Some upper management seems to talk out both sides of their mouth -- dishonest and hypocritical(in 16 reviews)

MITRE is truly a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsAbility to work in the public interest on critical national security issues with full support of management to "do the right thing." At MITRE the only interest is the public interest.

ConsAs a not for profit organization, while your are paid a competitive salary, there are no stock options or bonuses as can be seen in some other high tech companies (eg. Google...)

Advice to Senior ManagementMore town hall style interactions with employees, enabling management to discuss it vision and direction, coupled with Q&A with the staff.

MITRE - A great place to do interesting work.

Info Systems Engineer, Lead (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsDiverse opportunities for interesting project work.

Consslow progression. FFRDC restrictions on type of work that you can perform. Very conservative in approach and work force demographic.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, I think MITRE is a great place to work. I think its critical to maintain a corporate focus on sharing information across the sponsor base as a great asset of the company.

Mr. Grasso is a firm believer in MITRE and it's mission but never loses site that MITRE's core value is its employees.

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsI beleive that MITRE values my input and cares about my contributions.

ConsThere is not a lot of growth opportunities for minorities and women. But the company has taken a hard look at these practices and is improving significantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time talking with our customers at the highest level possible. Our technical managers have great relationships with our customers and upper managemnt should build upon that relationship.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MITRE takes care of management and upper level employees, not the engineers.

Lead Modeling and Simulation Engineer (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsThe benefits package can't be beat. The PTOB is one of the best around and the retirement package is difficult to replicate elsewhere. Depending on where you work in the corporation, you can work on some amazing new technologies or really make a difference.

ConsUpper management tends to take care of high level employees, not the ones actually doing the work in the trenches. The corporate culture is a bit odd compared to for profit companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe reorg was handled poorly. High level employees were taken very good care of but low level employees were left out in the cold. When the decisions were questions, authority was used as a club.

The Konexxa survey results were incredibly surprising. Everyone that I work with believed that the results were too optimistic and did not represent the real view of employees.

Enter as management...not as staff

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsBenefits package. 403(b) is excellent and health insurance is great. Time off is okay. Medical time off is good but you have to use about 24 hours of your vacation/sick time before it will kick in. The atmosphere is mostly relaxed and there are many people who have been there for years so it does show it's a fairly good place to work.

ConsLack of advancement opportunities. They do not promote from within and that will tend to create some disatisfied employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within. Look at the resources you already have in front of you.

Good place to work, would be great if management paid attention to employees instead of upper levels of management.

Lead Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsBenfits are good. Work/life balanced is respected.

ConsManagement never gets to really know their employees. Traditional engineering company promoting the best engineers into management even when they do not have "leadership" capabilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet employee feedback before pronouncing your engineered logical decisions that affect people.

It depends.

Information Management (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsWorking in the national interest on important projects. Compensation is good. Benefits are good. The retirement plan is generous. Co-workers are intelligent. MITRE encourages employees to stay on the job past retirement age. Staff has access to latest tools and technology. MITRE is careful but still willing to experiment.

ConsCompensation is good but the possibilities for career advancement are limited. Past and present experience does not seem to matter or count for much. The annual review laddering process artificially forces managers to choose winners and losers. Management too top heavy. Annual increases are limited. Management doesn't listen. Younger managers are not prepared. Promotions are made by hiring from the outside. Internal promotions are limited. Bureaucratic. Hierarchical.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen. Listen. Listen. Then do something positive and fair.

Great Company for someone established in their career looking for a good work/life balance.

Lead Engineer (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsFlexibility, good work/life balance. Stable and reliable employment and since it is a non-profit technical skills are valued over sales skills. Staff is encouraged to come up with the best technical solution without regard to how much money the firm can make. This aspect of the MITRE role is refreshing and needed by government sponsors.

ConsPay, No Stock Options, As a Non-profit there are no perks. As a non-profit and as a trusted agent of the government contractors tend to resent our role, this in turn makes the job stressful at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more competitve on yearly raises, give some perks to employees

Benefits and flexibility are great, but politics rule, advancement is tricky and pay is low.

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsSupport for formal education, benefits, flexible work arrangements. MITRE supports telework, education reimbursement and has the best retirement plan I've ever seen. Health benefits, vacation and personal leave are also exceptional. There is even a (competitive) accelerated advanced degree program. The McLean facility has an on site gym and numerous employee services.

ConsClickish, nepotism, bureaucratic, not rewarded for performance. MITRE has a lot of long time employees and overpaid fat. Advancement is often about who you know and how well you leverage the bureaucracy rather than how productive you are or how well you serve the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize and reward for outstanding performance or performers will move on.

Great People, Great Benefits, Good Job Security, But a little less $$$

Lead Engineer (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsIf you are looking for something in between being a government employee and a regular contractor, this is the place. You get a lot of job security in the sense that one is not tied to the vagaries of business development and the contractual renewal cycle found at other places. Benefits are excellent as well. Before I hired on I was military, and out of all the contractors I interacted with the MITRE guys seemed the "happiest" to be there. It's a great place to work.

ConsYou make less money, clearly you can make more working for a regular beltway bandit or defense contractor.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees a little more freedom to take the initiative

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!