MITRE
www.mitre.org McLean, VA 5000+ Employees

MITRE Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "Very well known as a place that still values work-life balance"
    in 116 reviews
  • "Good Benefits; however, not as good as they were 25 years ago"
    in 29 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-Life balance has deteriorated as well as benefits"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Some upper management seems to talk out both sides of their mouth -- dishonest and hypocritical"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

MITRE treats employees with dignity and respect - and like adults!

McLean, VA

ProsThe work at MITRE is challenging and intellectually stimulating. Employees are extremely dedicated to support the mission of our sponsors. MITRE offers employees flexible hours and supports work-life balance. People are very collaborative and open. I also believe that the senior leadership (Al and the Officers) truly care about the employees.

ConsMITRE employees are "experts" at what they do and often, believe they have expertise in all things which leads to question and challenge every idea, every decision, every presentation.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy best advice to the leaders at MITRE is to keep the values that make MITRE a great place to work.

Great company, great benefits, difficult to advance

Senior Multi-Disciplinary Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsCompany invests time, resources, and efforts in ensuring a content and well-supplied/supported workforce. Easy to do good work when you don't have to worry about infrastructure or technical failures

ConsManagement is often too busy to manage...lots of responsibility from business development to technical project work to human resources activities.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a clear career advancement process for technical folks allowing them to advance without feeling the need to take a management position when they have no desire to fulfill a management role.

Great R&D Lab

ProsGreat place to work if you want to work without many boundaries. With their customers only being the US government and agencies within the US government there is less emphasis on sales and marketing and feasibility of ideas and more look into what these products could give in the future. Management is very open and the whole community of researchers are easy to talk to and there is little to none of the bureaucratic mess that other larger corporations have.

ConsSome of the work is part time and grant based depending on the whims of government officials.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should focus on making programs more stable and keep improving and pushing forward each field that the US government has MITRE contracted.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MITRE Revies

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Bedford, MA

ProsThe work we do is imporant

ConsInconsistencies regarding rules that are set up for the entire corporation but not fairly enforced

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair, make sure rules are followed by everyone

Good FFRDC Work - yeah right, that's a laugh

Principal Information Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsSharing, collaboration, expertise. This place reeks of talent and desire, however ..... (see below)

ConsIn the quest to grow (namely CEM, now CCG) we are taking on work that is completely inappropriate. Many of my co-workers are under employed, our sponsors don't get it when it comes to an FFRDC, and the task and portfolio managers seem indifferent to the work we are assigned. MITRE is in real danger here of getting into hot water when the other non-ffrdc contractors get wind of the work we are doing. Me: I'm a glorified note taker and admin assistant, never mind that I have multiple degrees, and I am a PMP. I spend most days doing little valuable work and I've stopped asking the managers to give me work that is going to challenge me. This isn't just me, many of my peers are either resigned to their fate or are actively looking for new work. One five year veteran told me "keep your mouth shut and take the paycheck..." Folks, the train is off the tracks here and it's only a matter of time till the bodies start piling up. If I hear the phrase "....MITRE is doing great FFRDC work that is making an impact " from senior mgmt one more time, I'm going to puke.

Advice to Senior ManagementHey Al, how about picking portfolios at random and do some anonymous surveys of the grunts at the AC-3 and 4 level about the QUALITY of the work assignment. You might learn something and be very surprised. Hint, start with CCG,

Good place to work, like any place, they have thier issues.....

Senior Communications Engineer (Current Employee)
    Eatontown, NJ

ProsGood retirement, paid time off, and tuition reimbursement benefits. Great environment, culture is very upbeat. Good oppurtunity to reach into various projects if you make yourself visible and available. Great networking oppurtunities while working with great people. Corporation offers great internal training courses, great IT support for equipment and online internal resources. Very accomodating work schedules affoded for folks with families and telecomuting is heavily leveraged. Organization hires talent with great credentials.

ConsAs a non profit organization, there is a very limited, and I mean limited bonus structure. You will find that perception trumps talent occasionally which can be very frustrating for some who aren't gifted at gaming the system for advacement, recognition and promotions. Overall this is a systems engineering organization which typically doesn't bode well with techy type engineers who like to get their hands dirty in actual design. Design type projects are mostly up in the Bedford, MA and Washington area.

Organizaition for the most part is very top heavy and the careers of those at the working level are left to deal with managements incompetance. Internally, I see and hear of the work that goes on in various projects that adds up to nothing more than overpaid overskilled administrative support to the customer, not what MITRE preaches. You will find that folks with the "fake it untill you make it" mentality do the best here and continue to rise. I am oftem amazed to see the employees who get promotion after promotion have a profile where they stay on key visible projects just long enough until they crumble in failure just after thier departure.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow talent from within and keep management at all levels accountable for attrition and failure to recognize thier working personnel for their accomplisments and potential. Suggest MITRE officers look back at all the major DoD failures that have occurred over the last 15 years which had MITRE support and see who worked those projects and hold them accountable in the long term. You will see that many of the these people have a history of moving from project to project while accruing promotions. Soon after they leave the projects, the damage left behind begins to surface.

Good work, good people

Bedford, MA

ProsGreat work, interesting people, good work/life balance. Most people are here to make a difference and do something important for the country, not to enrich themselves.

ConsChange happens very slowly. It is very hierarchical.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time talking to average employees.
    Help us get out of contractor-type work.
    Make the Frameworks siimpler and easier to understand. It is too long and compilcated.

I like it

Senior Information Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsGood benefits, and good people.

ConsSome very good engineers have become very bad managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote the leaders, not the people you hope become leaders.

MITRE - The one stop shop for a career, education, and happiness

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsMITRE focuses very hard to provide employees with a quality work life opportunity. Providing about 5 weeks of annual leave, generous retirement contribution matching, college tuition reimbursement, flexible work hours, there's just too much to name. If you have a family, MITRE is a great place to work for.

Over the course of the years, I have seen many people go on to receive their first or second Master's degree while continuing to work full time. The fact that MITRE has such a diverse work portfolio with DoD, IRS and FAA, there's many different types of work that you can get involved with.

ConsThere are many people at MITRE who are knowledgeable in their respective fields. However, that means that a majority of those people are occupying the upper-level positions that others cannot advance to. MITRE typically does not promote people unless the department can justify a case of why a higher position is needed in that department. Often some people are left frustrated at the review process.

Another downside is that you won't find typical corporate perks here like those sky box tickets to some professional sport or a huge Christmas gala. MITRE is a non-profit organization, and thus cannot provide these types of perks.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork stronger is sharing knowledge across the FFRDCs (e.g. FAA, DoD, IRS). There's constant duplication of work and lessons that could be shared.

Despite some rough spots, MITRE is still a great place to work & grow

Principal Information Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsChallenging, cutting edge work
    Professional / technical growth is highly valued
    Work in the public interest & adhere to professional ethics
    Work-life balance
    Para-academic environment
    Great colleagues who love to share their knowledge

ConsPromotion criteria are unclear
    Work programs are slow to evolve to meet emerging needs, which costs business opportunities
    Corporate culture advocates business growth & external research partnerships, but processes for doing so are unclear

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to make a better business case for the bottom-line expense of MITRE staff versus other contractors; it is becoming increasing difficult to compete

Need to better leverage the external web site to sell MITRE's capabilities and to attract the next generation engineers

Need to empower staff at every hierarchical level with knowledge & tools to pursue business and research partnerships

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!

MITRE Videos

MITRE – Why Work for Us?

MITRE is an independent, not-for-profit corporation engaged in scientific and technical activities for various government organizations. MITRE manages Federally Funded Research and Development Centers (FFRDCs) for the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MITRE reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MITRE CEO Alfred Grasso. All 54 reviews posted anonymously by MITRE employees.