MITRE

MITRE Reviews in McLean, VA

Updated Jun 23, 2014

MITRE President and CEO Alfred Grasso

Alfred Grasso

Pros
  • people pretty much respect your schedule and are supportive of work life balance(in 121 reviews)

• Good Benefits; however, not as good as they were 25 years ago(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance has deteriorated as well as benefits(in 11 reviews)

• Some upper management seems to talk out both sides of their mouth -- dishonest and hypocritical(in 16 reviews)

170 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

MITRE Systems Engineer Experience

Information Systems Engineer, Lead (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsRetirement and 401K are competitive, but benefits declined over the 5.5 years that I was employed there. Employee tools and services were excellent. Compensation was excellent in the beginning, but growth was not provided thereafter. Severance package for departing employees was fair.

ConsPolitically cliquish environment where employee success is dependent on participation in the clique more than employee performance. Poor leadership from management demoralized employees and perpetuated poor leadership skills throughout the organization. Two Reduction in Force (RIF) sessions and leave without pay absences in 2013 for the majority of employees reflected poor leadership and management of MITRE and subsequent poor morale of employees there today. Government sequestration contributed to this, but also served as a vehicle for some group leaders and department heads to railroad and terminate excellent employees. MITRE informed RIF employees that MITRE does not provide references for their employees after departing MITRE, which was the most unprofessional policy I had ever heard of.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove leadership skills of management (effectiveness and efficiency).

review 101

Senior Graphic Designer (Former Employee) McLean, VA

Prosno comments in this section

Consno place for career advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more qualified managers, no shoes salesman

Unparalleled experience working across the US federal government

Senior Principal Staff (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsOpportunities to contribute to national security using decades of technical experience. If you can escape the inertia that your managers impose on you and focus on delivering what your sponsors need, you can thrive. The company IS trying to adapt to the ever-changing fractious government funding environment but much of this is beyond the corporation's control. The CEO, Al Grasso, is a technically-competent executive who is doing his best in a difficult environment.

ConsClubby management that believes being selected for management automatically invests you with wisdom and technical genius beyond that of non-managers. Fairly poor follow-through on corporate promotion standards. Many managers hold staff to performance standards beyond what they themselves are incapable of meeting. The annual performance appraisal process is terribly flawed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your offices and away from your endless management meetings, talk to your staff and learn what they are doing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cliquish, Clubbish, Clannish

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsThe health benefits & 401k (10% match).

ConsLike the title says: Cliquish, Clubbish, Clannish. No work is ever done, boring & politically exhausting. Folks stay to retire. You may think this is great but it is like waiting to DIE!

Advice to Senior ManagementFire all management & start over.

One of the best places to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGreat work environment and coworkers.
    Actually respects employees as human beings.

ConsPromotion is glacial and raises grow smaller every year.
    Current reorganization is causing consternation.

Summer intern experience

Technical Intern (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGood work environment, everyone around me was helpful and contributed to my experience at the company. I learned a lot and am glad to have worked here.

ConsDescribed as a "retirement home", the population is older and work often moves quite slowly as a result. It is probably not the best place for someone just beginning their career.

Structured just enough to force a productive summer.

Intern (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsBrilliant engineers/scientists leading the groups.
    Standard day job schedule.
    Nice gym + health stuff, including cafeteria.
    Good location.

ConsRelatively few benefits compared to hot shot tech companies.
    Just standard government contracting company.
    Has to deal with bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the student intern program!

Dinosaur in its death throws

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsBrilliant staff. Work is of National importance. Customers are great.

ConsImmature and inexperienced senior leaders. Nepotism rampant. Corporate officers only promote people who are like them and that manage up. Little respect or admiration for integrity or diversity. Senior staff treated like disposable components. Officers have no credibility with staff. They say one thing and enact policies that are counter to their statements. Resources in the hands of a few pedagogues. Staff expected to find their own work. The reward is a paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just prune but cross cut the heavy deadwood. Focus on the visionaries and innovators. Prevent officers hiring their buddies. Look to promote people who aren't white males in their fifties. Run the company like a real business.

Very Fulfilling Work

Lead Systems Engineer (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGreat work in the public interest, generally good management and co-workers, flexible schedules, good benefits. With the Metro coming, the location is even better!

ConsI can't think of any that I wouldn't find everywhere else. It seems that promotions are not easy to come by, I believe they could have a better performance evaluation system in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out amongst the people more (pop your head in somebody's office and find out what they're working on).

Not the institution it once was

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsThe customers and technical staff.

ConsA culture where mediocrity in management is praised and confused with leadership and real leadership demeaned. A culture where petty AC-7s compete for intangible rewards from VPs since there are no financial rewards to compete for. A culture where a major retooling had to be done to try to pay attention to the customers. Competition for attention has caused collaboration to be dead at the top and dying at the bottom because the only way to get ahead is to suck up to VPs and PDs. The back room deal is alive and well especially with the new officers recently put in place. Senior managers are simply untrustworthy and both look down and talk down to the tech staff. These are people who have little or no expertise in any field any longer and aren't even good at interacting with customers and certainly not good at getting new good work. No ability to create or maintain customer relationships or heaven help them get challenging new work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of all of the officers and PDs. Replace them with real technical experts who don't preach to customers and staff. Look at the people working long hours and figure out they're the ones keeping the lights on. Promote based on ability to work with and grow customer base, customer relationships, and technical peer respect.

Get rid of shared leadership model. It's ridiculous. It means everybody's in charge and no one's accountable.

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!