MITRE

MITRE Reviews in McLean, VA

Updated Jun 23, 2014

MITRE President and CEO Alfred Grasso

Alfred Grasso

Pros
  • people pretty much respect your schedule and are supportive of work life balance(in 121 reviews)

• Good Benefits; however, not as good as they were 25 years ago(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance has deteriorated as well as benefits(in 11 reviews)

• Some upper management seems to talk out both sides of their mouth -- dishonest and hypocritical(in 16 reviews)

170 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company for work life balance

Senior Simulation Modeling Engineer (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsExcellent work life balance. Interesting problems are looked at, in particular in the aviation side of the house. Very smart people to work with.

ConsMiddle management could use some refining (less micromanagemnet). There is not a clear path for persons who want to stay out of management. In order to get promoted levels you basically need to go into managemnet.

Immediate Supervisor Makes or Breaks Your Job

Senior Staff (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsPublic interest mission gives your job a great meaning; Good work-life balance and benefits; office environment is pleasant; smart people

ConsManagement is secretive and communication is scarce; culture is highly political and hierarchical; employee trust is low due to lack of communication

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open and honest, or you'll lose your employees' trust.

Job security, with few other perks, little connection to management

Senior Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsJob Security - if you're not a poor performer, and have a clearance your job is stable
    Retirement - The retirement contribution by the employer is better than average (but they keep lowering it over the past 5 years so if that trend continues it may no longer be a pro)

ConsMost of the time you work at the client site, your manager or boss frequently has no idea what you actually do or how you're performing which makes it nearly impossible to get recognition, raises, or promotions.
    Salaries and benefits were either stagnant or cut during the time I was there due to the company stating that our rates were higher than other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should have more involvement with those they oversee, more connection to what their employees are doing, and maybe even part of a manager/leads own performance and such should be based on how their people perform. Isn't the best indicator of a good leader/manager shown by the successes of those they've led?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Clarity And Stability Go A Long Way

Senior Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer (Former Employee) McLean, VA

Pros- Work/Life Balance
    - Mobility (i.e. remote reachback to corporate network)
    - 401 (a) matching
    - Certain individuals willing to work with you to succeed

In my time at MITRE, when I actually had good MITRE work to focus on, I could easily focus on how to leverage internal resources to provide value to sponsors. In certain difficult situations, there seemed to be a consensus as to providing legitimate opportunities to succeed within the company.

Cons- Unclear direction in certain work programs
    - Too much reliance on traditional ways of doing business
    - Inability to clearly define FFRDC role to most sponsors
    - No clear direction on progressing from certain managers

Seems to be a communication issue among DHs in different divisions. A consistent problem programs are running into is the type of work requested by the sponsors, which in turn puts MITRE in a difficult position when it comes to justifying its requirements in order to support said sponsors. Management needs to be approachable when dealing with issues along with working with employees to get into positions quickly.

Advice to Senior Management- Like the concept behind the MITRE Way, but there needs to be more accountability brought into the process, especially at the MTS 5-6 levels.
    - Better clarification on how to progress from the MTS 2-3 levels upward, recommendations are extremely vague.

Understand that things are getting tighter due to the sequester. To that end, there needs to be a truly concerted effort with the MITRE Way to effectively manage work across all of the work programs. What is really troubling is the lack of understanding that many sponsors have in terms of the value that MITRE provides them. MITRE is not a body shop that can fill certain roles at a moment's notice, nor should the sponsors try to influence the types of people whose skills are being brought to bear from MITRE to help meet their mission.

Nothing special about FFRDC contract

Program Managemet (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsFlexible hours, good benefits, make easy for commute.

ConsJust another contractor with short task period, undefined scope.

Ambiguity is the mantra

Principal Engineer (Current Employee) McLean, VA

Proslight work hours, academic environment

ConsNot nearly as impactful to the government as claimed

Advice to Senior Managementif your staff cannot prove how they effect the government's bottom line annually, clean house

Great place to work

Lead Information Systems Engineer (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsInteresting technology work
    Great people
    Able to act as trusted advisor to federal government
    Great benefits

ConsMost work is advisory or R&D in nature
    Technical staff often do not have ability to take idea and see it through to live (other firms in industry are hired by government to do that).

Advice to Senior ManagementEnable employees on beach to help firm develop more relationships (and projects) with civilian government

In the beginning the work reflected FFRDC work making a difference but somewhere the SMT lost sight.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsMatching Retirement plan
    Telecommuting available
    In house training programs

ConsBenefits are going down hill
    outplacement service lacking in job placement
    CAASD SMT has lost sight of the real work

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to finding the work other companies have been taking away while you wait for the FAA to approach you the work is going else where.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Excellent organization with extremely knowledgeable employees

Intern (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGood working environment.
    Supportive cast of management and auxiliary role players

ConsNone noticed yet.
    The team I worked with had a set of very experienced and professional members. each took full responsibility and accountability for their work.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

It's a good company but self management goes a long way here.

Senior Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsThey have pretty good benefits, and a great work-life balance. You get to work with smart people on interesting projects.

ConsThe funding is mostly from the government, which in the current market isn't great. It can be hard to get people to collaborate effectively. You need to be able to manage yourself effectively.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive small teams more financial freedom to make judgement calls based on their own needs.

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!