MITRE

MITRE Reviews in McLean, VA

Updated Jun 23, 2014

MITRE President and CEO Alfred Grasso

Alfred Grasso

Pros
  • people pretty much respect your schedule and are supportive of work life balance(in 121 reviews)

• Good Benefits; however, not as good as they were 25 years ago(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance has deteriorated as well as benefits(in 11 reviews)

• Some upper management seems to talk out both sides of their mouth -- dishonest and hypocritical(in 16 reviews)

170 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsSmart people who care about what they do for their govt sponsors and the American public.

ConsCan be bureaucratic, but it's a large organization. Needs to be more agile.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on delivering value/impact to govt customers and those they serve, and less on process and organizational structure, roles, etc.

great place to work if you don't expect too much

Information Systems Engineer, Lead (Current Employee) McLean, VA

Prosflexibility in work schedule and location. people pretty much respect your schedule and are supportive of work life balance

Consthere are quite a few people who abuse the flexibility. there is no additional reward for those who work hard. there are disincentives to work hard.

Advice to Senior Managementreward faster for people who push.

Good place to start or end a technical career

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsWide range of highly diverse and open-ended technical work. You can learn a lot in a short time and get a lot of control over your own parts of projects. Good work-life balance and very hands-off management, allowing staff to control their own schedules and telework as needed. Excellent day-to-day work atmosphere with very accomplished and friendly colleagues. Great 401k and vacation benefits even after recent cutbacks, nice campus-like offices at main sites, and little bureaucracy or onerous rules compared to other defense companies.

ConsTechnical people have zero career path and disproportionately low salaries. Promotions go to consultants and bureaucrats with government connections, with even high impact technical or research work not rewarded. Lots of older staff entrenched in the higher positions, and openings are usually filled by new hires instead of promotions. Not much research going on except in one or two departments, and the internal research program is increasingly useless and all about business development. Unlike other FFRDCs, they place little value on having a PhD or your own research agenda, so PhDs get a raw deal and are often under-hired. Many projects are initially fascinating but ultimately fall through, and the main thrust of the company's work today ("systems engineering") just amounts to IT and management consulting.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back into the science and move away from consulting. If MITRE wants to become just another government consultancy, there is no point in being an FFRDC. Don't bring in highly qualified researchers and treat them like support staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good old boys club

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) McLean, VA

Pros-Training and education
    -If you're good at looking busy, this is the place for you
    -Hard to get fired, it's just like working for the government

Cons-Do ALOT more with less money and less resources
    -Benefits are slowly being cut little by little
    -There is no clear path for promotions, you just need to be part of the old boys club to get anything.
    -Review system is a joke, laddering is purely an exercise of "horse trading"
    -A lot of dead weight
    -Very Silo-ed organizations
    -Two main locations = Two different cultures and it is almost like two different companies

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a little more to attract and retain young talent.

Purpose, Integrity, and Continuous Learning

Senior Principal Systems Engineer (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsMITRE works in the public interest; as a not-for-profit, its focus is on that mission, not on making money. Integrity is a core value and is demonstrated by "speaking truth to power" and walking away from jobs that aren't in the public interest. Focusing on the next innovation is encouraged; since you're surrounded by smart, well-educated, and dedicated professionals, you can continuously learn and grow. The retirement and PTOB are among the best in the industry and work/life balance is real.

ConsAs an operator of FFRDCs, MITRE only works for the government - primarily the federal government. The inevitable bureaucracy, uneven and unsure funding, and political changes can be frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep talking and listening to the staff!

Love the people, love the work!

Senior Cyber Security Engineer (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsLots of training opportunities, great work-life balance, flexible hours, good benefits. I actually look forward to going into work every day to work on the multiple projects I support.

ConsIt feels like it is dominated by older management that doesn't always seem to quite understand the needs of the younger employees. Attrition lately seems to be a theme, but that also gives more opportunities for those of us who stick around to turn it around.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe're a research and development company, right? I feel like if I want to research up and coming technologies I sometimes have to go out and buy some of them myself to get my hands on it in order to effectively evaluate it. Specifically mobile devices like iPads/iPhones/Android phones/tablets/the newest Windows Phone, etc. I don't always want to have the newest stuff, but it doesn't seem too expensive to have a lab somewhere buy this consumer grade equipment to research. Let's get the equipment so our researchers can research it!

Great Company

Lead Engineer (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsBenefits, Salary, Work Satisfaction, Location

ConsRe-organization doesn't make sense and adds complexity and overhead.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdding complexity while reducing management opportunities may not be the best strategy.

Process oriented, critical, lack of imagination

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGreat customers and missions. Great work as long as you can go it alone and not have to rely on any management support.

ConsVice Presidents are critical and dismissive of staff, portfolio directors are arrogant and "own the customers". Individual senior leaders with experience and connections are left to work under the radar to make things happen without any support from and often in direct conflict with management.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions. No one believes in managing a billion dollar company by consensus. Get rid of process. Let innovation and entrepreneurial spirit reign instead of actively trying to kill it.

Awkward for a Recent Grad

Economic/Business Analyst (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsFlexible schedule, good vacation, client interface

ConsAmbiguous goals, pointless work, lack of direction

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide new hires specific assignments. Need much more specificity when starting out.

Travel requirements were significant,

Principal Systems Engineer (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGood Benefits; however, not as good as they were 25 years ago

ConsSound bites and viability are significant for pay raises. Promotions are few and based how strong your management network is.

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!