MITRE

Purpose, Integrity, and Continuous Learning

Current Employee - Senior Principal Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

MITRE works in the public interest; as a not-for-profit, its focus is on that mission, not on making money. Integrity is a core value and is demonstrated by "speaking truth to power" and walking away from jobs that aren't in the public interest. Focusing on the next innovation is encouraged; since you're surrounded by smart, well-educated, and dedicated professionals, you can continuously learn and grow. The retirement and PTOB are among the best in the industry and work/life balance is real.

Cons

As an operator of FFRDCs, MITRE only works for the government - primarily the federal government. The inevitable bureaucracy, uneven and unsure funding, and political changes can be frustrating.

Keep talking and listening to the staff!

Love the people, love the work!

Current Employee - Senior Cyber Security Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Cyber Security Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of training opportunities, great work-life balance, flexible hours, good benefits. I actually look forward to going into work every day to work on the multiple projects I support.

Cons

It feels like it is dominated by older management that doesn't always seem to quite understand the needs of the younger employees. Attrition lately seems to be a theme, but that also gives more opportunities for those of us who stick around to turn it around.

We're a research and development company, right? I feel like if I want to research up and coming technologies I sometimes have to go out and buy some of them myself to get my hands on it in order to effectively evaluate it. Specifically mobile devices like iPads/iPhones/Android phones/tablets/the newest Windows Phone, etc. I don't always want to have the newest stuff, but it doesn't seem too expensive to have a lab somewhere buy this consumer grade equipment to research. Let's get the equipment so our researchers can research it!

Great Company

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, Salary, Work Satisfaction, Location

Cons

Re-organization doesn't make sense and adds complexity and overhead.

Adding complexity while reducing management opportunities may not be the best strategy.

Awkward for a Recent Grad

Former Employee - Economic/Business Analyst in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Economic/Business Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, good vacation, client interface

Cons

Ambiguous goals, pointless work, lack of direction

Provide new hires specific assignments. Need much more specificity when starting out.

Process oriented, critical, lack of imagination

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great customers and missions. Great work as long as you can go it alone and not have to rely on any management support.

Cons

Vice Presidents are critical and dismissive of staff, portfolio directors are arrogant and "own the customers". Individual senior leaders with experience and connections are left to work under the radar to make things happen without any support from and often in direct conflict with management.

Make decisions. No one believes in managing a billion dollar company by consensus. Get rid of process. Let innovation and entrepreneurial spirit reign instead of actively trying to kill it.

Travel requirements were significant,

Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits; however, not as good as they were 25 years ago

Cons

Sound bites and viability are significant for pay raises. Promotions are few and based how strong your management network is.

MITRE Systems Engineer Experience

Former Employee - Information Systems Engineer, Lead in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Information Systems Engineer, Lead in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Retirement and 401K are competitive, but benefits declined over the 5.5 years that I was employed there. Employee tools and services were excellent. Compensation was excellent in the beginning, but growth was not provided thereafter. Severance package for departing employees was fair.

Cons

Politically cliquish environment where employee success is dependent on participation in the clique more than employee performance. Poor leadership from management demoralized employees and perpetuated poor leadership skills throughout the organization. Two Reduction in Force (RIF) sessions and leave without pay absences in 2013 for the majority of employees reflected poor leadership and management of MITRE and subsequent poor morale of employees there today. Government sequestration contributed to this, but also served as a vehicle for some group leaders and department heads to railroad and terminate excellent employees. MITRE informed RIF employees that MITRE does not provide references for their employees after departing MITRE, which was the most unprofessional policy I had ever heard of.

Improve leadership skills of management (effectiveness and efficiency).

review 101

Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

no comments in this section

Cons

no place for career advancement

Hire more qualified managers, no shoes salesman

One of the best places to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment and coworkers.
    Actually respects employees as human beings.

Cons

Promotion is glacial and raises grow smaller every year.
    Current reorganization is causing consternation.

Unparalleled experience working across the US federal government

Current Employee - Senior Principal Staff in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Staff in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities to contribute to national security using decades of technical experience. If you can escape the inertia that your managers impose on you and focus on delivering what your sponsors need, you can thrive. The company IS trying to adapt to the ever-changing fractious government funding environment but much of this is beyond the corporation's control. The CEO, Al Grasso, is a technically-competent executive who is doing his best in a difficult environment.

Cons

Clubby management that believes being selected for management automatically invests you with wisdom and technical genius beyond that of non-managers. Fairly poor follow-through on corporate promotion standards. Many managers hold staff to performance standards beyond what they themselves are incapable of meeting. The annual performance appraisal process is terribly flawed.

Get out of your offices and away from your endless management meetings, talk to your staff and learn what they are doing.