MITRE Reviews

Reset
3.6
MITRE President and CEO Alfred Grasso
Alfred Grasso

Pros
  • The work life balance is excellent (in 130 reviews)

• Good Benefits; however, not as good as they were 25 years ago (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • I'll first address work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Some upper management seems to talk out both sides of their mouth -- dishonest and hypocritical (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Worthwhile

Current Employee - Senior Software Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Great work/life balance, strong encouragement for advanced degrees and full reimbursement, extensive catalog of free on-campus learning resources. In the Software Tech Center I have an endless opportunity to improve myself as well as satisfy each sponsor's needs.

Cons

We are supporting the government, which despite our excellent technical capabilities, sometimes gets mired in bureaucracy. As a FFRDC, MITRE cannot compete with prime contractors, which is great for trust, but means my job is guidance, which is good and bad.

Advice to Management

The MITRE Way is a promise, but when department heads are compensated for keeping their own staff on tasks, there is a natural conflict of interest - we should have the right person for the job, not cronyism.

MITRE Response

May 1, 2015 – Comms Representative

Thanks for your feedback. We’re glad that you’ve taken advantage of some of the many learning opportunities that we offer our employees.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Principal Software Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

There's a lot of interesting research work and surprisingly few internal barriers for switching between projects and getting internal funding for research. In contrast compared to a commercial company, there's no legacy software to maintain because most work is new development for limited release and proof of concept. Once a research product gets to point where it demonstrates value, it usually transitions into an existing government and/or commercial product and is maintained by an external company. The research culture also does not follow the "publish or perish" mindset of academia. In my 9 year tenure I've grown from senior to lead to principal without a PhD or Masters Degree.

Cons

Some managers lean a little too much the employee to seek out new projects and coordinate their own work/roles on a project. It's not a problem for me but management could do a better job organizing their workforce rather than relying on their workforce to self organize; A little of both is probably best.

Advice to Management

Allowing staff the freedom to pursue different projects and research is great but it can lead to organizational structure that's a bit muddied. As a result the chain of supervisors above you may not have deep expertise in the same area you do -- though this is not global true and different divisions are better than others at organizer their people.

seriously great place to work

Current Employee - Lead Communications Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Communications Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

MITRE seriously values the opinions of their employees...almost to a fault! I've been there for 9 years and when they get feedback that employees are unhappy they move quickly to try to fix, and sometimes so quickly that it seems a bit hasty, but I guess that's a good problem from a large company. The benefits are too notch, their package blows other contractors out of the water. Really smart people who have good experience. I'm constantly learning from my peers. Awesome culture of information sharing and collaboration. I can reach out to anyone across the company and get good info without being asked for a charge number to answer a few questions. Flexible hours and good work life balance. Really good work. Tough projects and access to info that other traditional contractors can't access, making you more effective at your job. Decent work space, although not hip or trendy by any means. They recognize good work and reward where they can. During sequestration they put everyone on overhead, carrying many for over 3 weeks. No layoffs or forced vacation. I really respected the company for that, they care about their work force and don't have the same bottom line that for profit companies have. Aging work force is going to leave many opportunities for up and comers in the next few years. Also there is a large emphasis on training and continuing education. I got my masters from George Washington University for free!!!

Cons

Low attrition leaves some folks around who really should be encouraged to move on. Management is hit or miss, as in any company. Pay is below average, but they do have amazing benefits, so it's not really too far off if you factor that in. There's not a whole lot of worker comraderie, most folks get along but aren't what I would consider close friends. It's easy to get sucked into projects and end up putting in lots of hours. In general though, that is self driven and not encouraged by management. Some folks are grumpy. People have been there for a long time so it's easy to get stale and complain. In general folks don't know how good they have it!

Advice to Management

Trust your middle managers to interface with customers, don't meddle in topics where you have SMEs working daily who know the details and politics.

5. excellent place to work

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time

Pros

Company is amazing and everyone is really friendly and helpful. Best job I ever had!

Cons

It's a BIG company so its easy to get lost and sometime hard to get hold of people.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Still Lovin' It!!

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people challenging projects excellent work/life balance great benefits amazing technology (e.g. the MII), tools, and facilities ability to actually do something that matters

Cons

Hard to think of many; I suppose low turnover is a mixed bag....good and bad at the same time, depending on individuals.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating, keep communicating, and keep listening -- I really feel senior managers at MITRE listen to the employees and genuinely strive to make it an amazing place to work.

Great goals, Long-term workforce

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Brightest minds in the industry, Dedicated to their job and have been their a long time. Great company goals and you feel like you are trying to change the world for the good.

Cons

Since people have been there a long time, there is limited mobility, older culture, and its difficult to change minds.

My stamp of approval...

I worked at MITRE full-time

Pros

Great place to work -- given the complexity of the problems, the audaciousness of the mission and the talent of the people you work alongside. Although the workspaces themselves are not imbued with creativity, the festering brainpower of any collection of folks there is sure to spark some ingenuity.

Cons

The pay is below market rate for many of the positions with the assumption that the role of a trusted advisor to the government grants you access to the toughest problems whose solutions have the greatest impact.

Advice to Management

Continue to pull from the ranks and elevate people into management positions who both have the technical dexterity and the people skills to represent the organization well. Many a case is made for simply showing technical prowess beyond the immediate problem presented, but thinking more comprehensively about the needs a client cannot readily identify.

9. excellent company

I have been working at MITRE full-time

Pros

good to great benefits, great work, good people

Cons

slow movement up the chain

Advice to Management

none

10. Solid Mitre Internship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE (Less than a year)

Pros

I interviewed for a specific project, but I ended up getting to pick the project I wanted to work on once I arrived. The project ended up having some really cool interdisciplinary work.

Cons

Seemed like it's a bit difficult to shine at the lower levels, but not too overwhelming. The dedicated sponsor hours is also somewhat frustrating.

Advice to Management

Make an attempt to add more flexibility to the dedication and limitation of hours to certain sponsor projects. Perhaps a big pool of hours for a sponsor.

Cutting Edge National Security Research

I worked at MITRE

Pros

great place to work for cutting edge national security research. smart and talented workforce with many opportunities for independent projects and r&D.

Cons

can be difficult to break into the 'old boys club' of the company. promotions granted almost entirely on seniority not performance or impact. formal dress code.

Advice to Management

emphasize development and promotions for engineers and scientists and not just people who make powerpoint all day (75% of the company).

RSS Feed </> Embed