MITRE Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
3.5

MITRE President and CEO Alfred Grasso
Alfred Grasso

Pros
  • people pretty much respect your schedule and are supportive of work life balance (in 129 reviews)

• Good Benefits; however, not as good as they were 25 years ago (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to grow salary and climb the ladder, but the work-life balance is great (in 15 reviews)

• Some upper management seems to talk out both sides of their mouth -- dishonest and hypocritical (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place ... work life balance, smart people, tough to advance, lower pay

Current Employee - Project Leader in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Project Leader in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance; lots of training opportunities available to all; easy to reach back into company to understand experiences of others, and technologies; good benefits; get to work with leading edge technology; get to solve critical problems

Cons

Mid level management (department heads, technical directors) and supervisors (team leads) --- it's a mixed bag -- some are excellent managers, others are not so much; have been employed at a few global 100 companies and this honestly is the weakest mid level management I have seen.

Salary is generally lower by at least 25-30% than private sector companies this size. Tradeoff is the work-life balance.

Take a good hard look at mid level management --- take action where needed.

Great Knowledge Experience

Current Employee - Senior Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities to learn; lots of smart people to work with; opportunity to do work in the best interest of the government

Cons

there is mediocre management communication

Great place to work

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging work in the public interest. Great benefits. Excellent people.

Cons

Bureaucracy that comes with government accountability. Low turnover makes promotions slower than for profit companies.

Socialize change better and be more transparent in decisions that impact employees.

The MITRE Corporation

Current Employee - Seninor Program Manager
    Current Employee - Seninor Program Manager

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance is the best in the engineering business

Cons

I can think of nothing negative about this company.

Listen and work with the staff

excellent

Current Employee - Tech Staff in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Tech Staff in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

challenging work, excellent perks, excellent work environment

Cons

MITRE practice old fashion company ideals

none

Great Company

Former Employee - Lead Information Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Lead Information Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA

I worked at MITRE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work on top technology for some of the most important issues for the nation. Great pay and benefits. Great work life balance.

Cons

Management structure and procedural changes' impact on employees and employee responsibilities is sometimes unclear. Promotions can be slow at times.

If you are mid-career, don't stay more than two years

Former Employee - Project Leader in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Project Leader in Bedford, MA

I worked at MITRE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very flexible in terms of hour, remote work. Job stability, to a fault, almost.

Cons

Very few opportunities for growth, promotion. You'll lose your competitive edge and marketability if you stay here too long.

Great place to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

MITRE is an employees company in that it allows employees the flexibility and freedom to manage themselves and really set their own hours, as long as its conducive to good business and you complete your assignments. A balance of work life is acheived through pushing employee well being programs and assistance. The pool of highly skilled techincal people is endless throughout the company and the reach back is pretty amazing. They offer to help pay for college, Undergrad and Graduate levels. They offer compensation benefits as far as matching contributions to reitrement plans and things of that nature.

Cons

Salary is not in the upper most part of the paln here at MITRE. Promotions are slow unless you are a high level employee and them of course your bonus and pay get first dibs at the bigger pot.

Continue to push individual growth and foster a community of open door practices.

Good place for an internship, but I wouldn't come back full time

Former Employee - Intern in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Bedford, MA

I worked at MITRE as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It was a good place for an internship- I was doing work that resembled what the full time people in my department did.

They also had a group of interns organize some social events and stuff, which was nice.

The people were all friendly!

Pay was for pretty good for an internship in my field.

Flexible hours.

Cons

Lack of communication. No one really had any idea what I was working on. I kind of made up my own work.

Pay for full time employees. I spoke with a few people who were somewhat new hires, and was told by all of them that salaries were below industry average. A manager asked what I thought they could do better for younger employees, so I mentioned salary. The manager's response was to say that they thought the pay was good and if people want to be paid more than they're offered they should look at other companies instead. This attitude seemed a little odd/hostile, especially considering that they'd specifically asked. Doesn't make me too hopeful for a decent salary if I were to try to go back full time.

Slow moving/bureaucratic.

Most employees seemed to dislike the direction the company was heading in.

Maybe offer better salaries, and somehow cut down on the bureaucracy.

A company headed in the wrong direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time

Pros

Generally your peers will be well educated and the work schedule is extremely flexible. If you are a SME and looking for a company to stick with comfortably until retirement then MITRE would be a good fit. Older employees have ample opportunity to either carve out a niche or build their own work programs with a variety of different sponsors. Their education reimbursement programs are good and until recently the retirement program was top notch. Workers are fairly secure in their jobs, and turnover remains in the single digits.

Cons

The company has an abysmal track record keeping its best and brightest unless those individuals are happy in their project space, leading to 30-50% year-to-year turnover in fields considered up-and-coming in the market. The company claims it would like to move away from its average age of 50+, but in the same sentence says it is not willing to pay industry average in that experience range. If you are not exactly aware of how the salary increases are structured you can easily end up receiving below inflation raises regardless of the level of work produced, and it will never be corrected unless you leave the company.

If you have the misfortune of ending up in an inexperienced department, it can hurt your ability to land relevant work and get promoted. This in effect creates pockets of pronounced backstabbing and favoritism that fall completely in opposition to what the company stands for. The lack of 360 reviews means many of these problems will never see the light of day.

As many others have said, a good number of managers are placed there with only technical experience under their belt and have no idea how to actually manage a group of peers. Instead they tend to divert back to primarily project work, do the bare minimum in work shaping, development, and assessment meetings and hope that flies.

Having sham "town hall" meetings are not enough to address the employee surveys that have become worse and worse every year. If the company is actually headed in the right direction, then benefits removed under the guise of increasing medical costs should be brought back. Upper management bloat should have been dealt with by downsizing instead of using The MITRE Way to duplicate every role and further exacerbating the problem.