MITRE Reviews

485 reviews filtered by
3.6
MITRE President and CEO Alfred Grasso
Alfred Grasso

Pros
  • people pretty much respect your schedule and are supportive of work life balance (in 130 reviews)

• Good Benefits; however, not as good as they were 25 years ago (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to grow salary and climb the ladder, but the work-life balance is great (in 16 reviews)

• Some upper management seems to talk out both sides of their mouth -- dishonest and hypocritical (in 16 reviews)

It has broadened my thinking. A lot of diverse technical backgrounds are points of view.

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Flexible work locations and hours subject to client needs.

Cons

You do have to maintain and drive demand for your services in order to stay employed. Sometimes it's hard to fit in the networking time to promote your own good work.

Unlike Any Other

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I worked at MITRE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

work-life balance is great for those who are allowed to use it. The benefits and corporate culture are great.

Cons

Management leaves much to be desired. The officers create policy and then change their mind when someone complains. Employees have little faith in leadership.

People stay a long time. Not a lot of room to move around/up.

Stick to the policies created or don't put them in place at all. It's not worth riling everyone up and jeopardizing your credibility.

3. Great place to work, would have stayed longer but left to take a job in Maine.

Former Employee - HRIS Analyst in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - HRIS Analyst in Bedford, MA

I worked at MITRE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are very good, as are the work-life benefits.

Cons

Compensation is competitive and the work-life balance is good.

If training was needed, it was usually provided.

5. MTS

I worked at MITRE

Pros

Great company, fantastic benefits, fabulous work environment

Cons

Limited upside mobility for staff

Relaxed atmosphere, large bureaucracy

Former Intern - Intern in McLean, VA
    Former Intern - Intern in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Low pressure environment, great off-site resources, understanding staff and team members, great work-life balance, wonderful office culture, good benefits, opportunities for continuing education

Cons

Gigantic bureaucracy, lots of time required for paperwork, multiple projects at once

Room for growth limited by degree rather than skillset

Great company that doesn't know what it is right now.

Current Employee - Lead Systems Software Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Lead Systems Software Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very intelligent co-workers (when they stay), generally hard and interesting problems (if you're not handed grunt work and told to suck it up), good research program (if you can and keep funding), solid work life balance (usually). Great work programs available, if you can find them.

Cons

"The MITRE Way" has started to ruin a great company by making it like other companies. Many of the differentiating factors have diminished over the years: less emphasis on the "public interest", more emphasis on being a "business" and being "competitive", lower (but still good) retirement matching and vacation, more readiness to do "grunt work" instead of challenging research, greater emphasis on making "the customer" happy.

Salaries are low, and nearly everybody I worked with was making below average for the company, let alone for industry. This has been compounded since 2009 by the implementation of Lump Sum Merit payments, otherwise called a bonus in industry. These were instituted originally as a one-time measure, but it seems that senior management got used to being cheap.

An increased emphasis on commercialization of outputs and creation of products (though senior management swears up and down that this isn't the case) has led MITRE astray of what was once its core mission.

You claim to hire some of the greatest engineers and scientists in the world and yet treat them like children when implementing policies and changes. They're not idiots and can see right through your facade.

MITRE is turning into just another beltway bandit under your watch. I ask if that's what you really want your legacy to be.

Worthwhile

Current Employee - Senior Software Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Great work/life balance, strong encouragement for advanced degrees and full reimbursement, extensive catalog of free on-campus learning resources. In the Software Tech Center I have an endless opportunity to improve myself as well as satisfy each sponsor's needs.

Cons

We are supporting the government, which despite our excellent technical capabilities, sometimes gets mired in bureaucracy. As a FFRDC, MITRE cannot compete with prime contractors, which is great for trust, but means my job is guidance, which is good and bad.

The MITRE Way is a promise, but when department heads are compensated for keeping their own staff on tasks, there is a natural conflict of interest - we should have the right person for the job, not cronyism.

Great benefits but technical positIons are mostly support rather than actual hard science roles

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Benefits are great including both medical plan and 401k

Cons

Many of the people I work with think they are highly technical but when compared to actual engineering positions they are really not that technically strong.

The yearly performance review system is the worst that I have ever experienced. Those who play the system get big raises. Those who actually know what they are doing but don't play the system get little or nothing.

10. Exceptional Company

I worked at MITRE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Exceptional people, challenging projects, rewarding experiences, ability to move laterally within the organization.

Cons

Telecommuting opportunities are limited to project specific requirements.

Keep up the great work!!

11. Professional

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Best company to work for

Cons

good benefits good people with strong background.