MITRE Reviews

4.1

MITRE President and CEO Alfred Grasso
Alfred Grasso

Pros
  • people pretty much respect your schedule and are supportive of work life balance (in 128 reviews)

• Good Benefits; however, not as good as they were 25 years ago (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to grow salary and climb the ladder, but the work-life balance is great (in 14 reviews)

• Some upper management seems to talk out both sides of their mouth -- dishonest and hypocritical (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

I learned a lot about software engineering as a field and did interesting projects with awesome people.

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern  in  Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Bedford, MA

I worked at MITRE

Pros

benefits, networking, great mentorship, cutting edge technology and projects.

Cons

commute can be stressful, environment is government and somewhat conservative.

I learned some stuff, but pretty disappointed with some of the people.

Former Employee - Senior Economic/Business Analyst  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Economic/Business Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE

Pros

Great work/life balance and benefits. I really appreciated how my departments managers wouldn't always need to know every little thing I was doing all the time.

Cons

Raises aren't the best. I was really surprised how incompetent and lazy some of the people I worked with were. It was embarassing.

I'm not a fan of micro management, but I really think some people need it. You promote a work/life balance, but maybe a little too much. When clients I worked for had little respect for some people at MITRE, it was really an embarrassment. Senior management needs to do a better job watching the people leading their projects.

Great place to work but slow in recognizing impact of younger staff - very 'old school.'

Current Employee - Principal Information Systems Engineer  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Principal Information Systems Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

MITRE is in most ways a fantastic place to work. The company provides good flexibility and stability, and provides work that makes a difference to the well-being of the United States. The benefits package is very good for the industry.

Cons

MITRE tends to exhibit many older company ideals such as secretive promotions and compensation decisions, cliquish upper management tendencies and a "wait your turn" mentality. Overall, the positives outweigh the negatives.

Institute clear processes for promotion and compensation practices and beware of watering down the brand in a well-intentioned drive to reduce costs.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for my first 15 years poor for my last 10 years.

Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE

Pros

Ability to apply skills in support of the Government.
    Ability to make decision and apply them to sponsor support.
    MITRE IT Infrastructure and support.
    Benefits before retiring.

Cons

Requirements to support the Government in their offices as Action Officers and then accused by MITRE Management of going native.
    Out of sight and out of mind attitude when it comes to Salery increases and and Promotions.
    Need to continually provide self accomplishment Sound Bytes to Management to achieve status in the "Iner Circle".
    Workloads that demand 60-70 hours a week to be successful.
    Elimination of all Retiree Benifits when you reach 65, even thought you were paying 100% of there costs.

Get real and find out what is really happening in the employee trenchs, get rid of the AC-6 dead weight, provide competative Salery Increases (vs. what the Government does) and eliminate the massive Bureacracy that has increased over the years.

Great place to work, but not as great as claimed

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Best things are the benefits, the work-life balance, the ability to move around and find interesting and new challenges, and the quality of the technical staff.

Cons

Downsides include:
    - A perception that MITRE is the best and no other company knows as much (not reality)
    - The fact that MITRE organizationally reflects many of the bad characteristics (stovepiping) of the sponsors we support
    - The unwillingness of management to terminate poor performers and reward top performers (lots of dead weight)
    - The fact that people stay forever so there advancement opportunities can come slowly

MITRE needs to operate a little more like a private company and little less like a government agency. There should be more focus on performance, as it seems like the top people (who are truly the best in their fields) often have to carry a lot of dead weight to succeed. Eliminating some of the leff impactful folks wouldn't impact the work product, but would allow MITRE to more appopriately reward those who are doing the heavy lifting. A commitment to work-life balance to often seems to mean the stars work and the average folks balance.

MITRE has been an excellent place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I worked at MITRE

Pros

-Interesting projects
    -Great benefits
    -Great work/life balance

Cons

-Pay could be a little higher

MITRE provides a learning environment to grow and serve in the public interest

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

MITRE is a learning environment to follow ones vocation and grow as a leader

Cons

Too much focus on MITRE and not enough on the mission

Empower our creative and innovative staff - they will drive positive transformation in government

Excellent experience and I would highly recommend this environment to anyone who is technical.

Former Employee - Principal Information Systems Engineer  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Principal Information Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE

Pros

Talented individuals, open-minded, free-thinking, and cooperative. About 20% of the people have PhDs and more than 60% have a Masters.

Cons

Bureacracy which is not a surprise at any medium to large sized company. Federal work can be challenging, working with the latest and greatest technologies, but it can also be limiting in that your work mainly in areas of defense and a few civilian federal agencies. A broader involvement in other industries would be nice but not possible.

Coordinate better in a matrix type environment. Focus more on management who have the ability to handle personnel issues. Technical leaders may need to be just that technical leaders but not necessarily managers because they were successful leading a technical effort. There are managers who should not be managing people - people are the greatest resource and strength of an organization such as MITRE.

Excellent

Former Employee - Lead Multi-Disciplinary Systems Engineer  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Multi-Disciplinary Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE

Pros

Good work. Good people. Good sponsors.

Cons

Long promotion timeframes and small salary increases.

Think outside the systems engineering (BS, MS) mentality in terms of people. Only choose middle managers based upon "business" and "people" skills. Technical expertise is a distant third in priority.

OK if you want Life/Work balance

Current Employee - Lead Infosec Engineer  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Infosec Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Smart colleagues, Opportunities for education, Flex hours, work/life balance. Excellent 401K.

Cons

Promotion are slow to get. Salary raises meager. Frustrating client (government). Excepting 401K and education, benefits are not that great.

Devise a career path for techies or you will lose them.

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!