MITRE

www.mitre.org

MITRE Reviews

Pros
  • people pretty much respect your schedule and are supportive of work life balance(in 121 reviews)

• Good Benefits; however, not as good as they were 25 years ago(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance has deteriorated as well as benefits(in 11 reviews)

• Some upper management seems to talk out both sides of their mouth -- dishonest and hypocritical(in 16 reviews)

I learned a lot about software engineering as a field and did interesting projects with awesome people.

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Bedford, MA

Prosbenefits, networking, great mentorship, cutting edge technology and projects.

Conscommute can be stressful, environment is government and somewhat conservative.

I learned some stuff, but pretty disappointed with some of the people.

Senior Economic/Business Analyst (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGreat work/life balance and benefits. I really appreciated how my departments managers wouldn't always need to know every little thing I was doing all the time.

ConsRaises aren't the best. I was really surprised how incompetent and lazy some of the people I worked with were. It was embarassing.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not a fan of micro management, but I really think some people need it. You promote a work/life balance, but maybe a little too much. When clients I worked for had little respect for some people at MITRE, it was really an embarrassment. Senior management needs to do a better job watching the people leading their projects.

Great place to work but slow in recognizing impact of younger staff - very 'old school.'

Principal Information Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsMITRE is in most ways a fantastic place to work. The company provides good flexibility and stability, and provides work that makes a difference to the well-being of the United States. The benefits package is very good for the industry.

ConsMITRE tends to exhibit many older company ideals such as secretive promotions and compensation decisions, cliquish upper management tendencies and a "wait your turn" mentality. Overall, the positives outweigh the negatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstitute clear processes for promotion and compensation practices and beware of watering down the brand in a well-intentioned drive to reduce costs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MITRE provides a learning environment to grow and serve in the public interest

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsMITRE is a learning environment to follow ones vocation and grow as a leader

ConsToo much focus on MITRE and not enough on the mission

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower our creative and innovative staff - they will drive positive transformation in government

Great for my first 15 years poor for my last 10 years.

Principal Systems Engineer (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsAbility to apply skills in support of the Government.
    Ability to make decision and apply them to sponsor support.
    MITRE IT Infrastructure and support.
    Benefits before retiring.

ConsRequirements to support the Government in their offices as Action Officers and then accused by MITRE Management of going native.
    Out of sight and out of mind attitude when it comes to Salery increases and and Promotions.
    Need to continually provide self accomplishment Sound Bytes to Management to achieve status in the "Iner Circle".
    Workloads that demand 60-70 hours a week to be successful.
    Elimination of all Retiree Benifits when you reach 65, even thought you were paying 100% of there costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real and find out what is really happening in the employee trenchs, get rid of the AC-6 dead weight, provide competative Salery Increases (vs. what the Government does) and eliminate the massive Bureacracy that has increased over the years.

Great place to work, but not as great as claimed

Program Manager (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsBest things are the benefits, the work-life balance, the ability to move around and find interesting and new challenges, and the quality of the technical staff.

ConsDownsides include:
    - A perception that MITRE is the best and no other company knows as much (not reality)
    - The fact that MITRE organizationally reflects many of the bad characteristics (stovepiping) of the sponsors we support
    - The unwillingness of management to terminate poor performers and reward top performers (lots of dead weight)
    - The fact that people stay forever so there advancement opportunities can come slowly

Advice to Senior ManagementMITRE needs to operate a little more like a private company and little less like a government agency. There should be more focus on performance, as it seems like the top people (who are truly the best in their fields) often have to carry a lot of dead weight to succeed. Eliminating some of the leff impactful folks wouldn't impact the work product, but would allow MITRE to more appopriately reward those who are doing the heavy lifting. A commitment to work-life balance to often seems to mean the stars work and the average folks balance.

MITRE has been an excellent place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bedford, MA

Pros-Interesting projects
    -Great benefits
    -Great work/life balance

Cons-Pay could be a little higher

Excellent

Lead Multi-Disciplinary Systems Engineer (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGood work. Good people. Good sponsors.

ConsLong promotion timeframes and small salary increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink outside the systems engineering (BS, MS) mentality in terms of people. Only choose middle managers based upon "business" and "people" skills. Technical expertise is a distant third in priority.

Excellent experience and I would highly recommend this environment to anyone who is technical.

Principal Information Systems Engineer (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsTalented individuals, open-minded, free-thinking, and cooperative. About 20% of the people have PhDs and more than 60% have a Masters.

ConsBureacracy which is not a surprise at any medium to large sized company. Federal work can be challenging, working with the latest and greatest technologies, but it can also be limiting in that your work mainly in areas of defense and a few civilian federal agencies. A broader involvement in other industries would be nice but not possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementCoordinate better in a matrix type environment. Focus more on management who have the ability to handle personnel issues. Technical leaders may need to be just that technical leaders but not necessarily managers because they were successful leading a technical effort. There are managers who should not be managing people - people are the greatest resource and strength of an organization such as MITRE.

MITRE has provided me many opportunities and enabled me to move around to find a good fit.

Economic/Business Analyst (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsPeople are very proud of the work they do.

ConsMany people have been here a long time are are resistant to change.
    The company operations are often inefficient because each center operates independently.

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!