MITRE

MITRE Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

MITRE President and CEO Alfred Grasso

Alfred Grasso

Pros
  • people pretty much respect your schedule and are supportive of work life balance(in 121 reviews)

• Good Benefits; however, not as good as they were 25 years ago(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance has deteriorated as well as benefits(in 11 reviews)

• Some upper management seems to talk out both sides of their mouth -- dishonest and hypocritical(in 16 reviews)

A very good engineering consulting company that works in a large variety of government areas.

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThis is a friendly, intelligent company that seems to be very good at employing talented people and giving them interesting things to do. It seems there is a reasonable level of autonomy and a good attitude about respecting employees as people and professionals.

ConsIt's a bit old school (could be a pro for some I suppose ) and it sometimes feels limiting to be in a company that exclusively deals with government contracts. Also, as someone working on a government site rather than at a MITRE office, I sometimes felt out of touch.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a bit more involvement to help offsite workers feel integrated in the company.

Excellent career opportunities using state-of-the-art technologies to help our nation.

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsExcellent benefits (up to 5 weeks of paid time off per year, top-notch retirement program), great work/life balance, access to state-of-the-art technologies. Very low attrition and layoffs are a very rare occurrence.

ConsAlthough most of the company has an excellent technical environment, it's not the same everywhere. Your experience within the company can vary significantly depending on the division you join.

Work at this not-for-profit company is funded exclusively by the US Government. As a result, there are restrictions on how the funds are spent. If you are looking for free lunch every day and beer on Fridays, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to offer good benefits and technical work: it's what keeps most of us here. Continue to engage with employees and seek feedback according to their experience.

2013 Intern--Overall pretty darn good.

Technical Intern (Former Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsCompensation was very good.

Turnover is very low. Some people on my team had worked their 20+ years! There was a variety of experience, which was very helpful.

Dress is usually casual. Jeans are encouraged on most teams unless a customer is visiting. One lady helping us at orientation had a nose ring.

You may have the opportunity to work on some great projects. The US government is groundbreaking.

If you're a software developer, the likelihood of you maintaining code is low. MITRE produces prototypes for the government, not final products. If a product is going to be used, it is then handed off to another company for production.

Warm, welcoming people. My team genuinely wanted me to succeed and would spend the time to help me. They heavily encouraged communication and I felt that I was close with most people. My first few weeks, I had so many people stop by my desk to welcome me that it made my head spin!

Skywalks! On my campus, anyway, you could get to all main buildings from the skywalk system. I imagine that's great in the winter.

Corporate food is affordable and not terrible. The employees who worked in the cafeteria are very sweet and a lot of fun, too.

As an intern, the length of your stay is really up to you. You can go from ten weeks to a summer and semester if you want! They reimbursed me for travel to and from work with regards to relocation, making sure I got everything I was elligible for.

I spent a lot of time with coworkers outside of work. Including my mentor, people in other departments, and fellow interns. MITRE did a good job introducing me to some interns, but I'd have liked a bigger get together earlier on to meet everybody.

Hours are flexible. I had a team where I had to be in for one 15 minute meeting a day and could work the other hours as I pleased. Even then, if I wanted to take a short vacation, I only had to make sure that I worked the full 80 hours for a two week period dispersed and I pleased. This is likely dependent on your team.

HR works hard to make sure your desk is ergonomic. I sat for 40 hours a week and didn't have back or eye problems.

ConsLack of feedback at end of internship. As things came up, I was informed about my performance, but I was not really informed if I would receive an offer if something opened up. This seems to be the case with most people. This is because of several factors:
      people leaving - if you do well at your internship, it's not a guarantee you'll receive an offer. People may not leave your team and your set of skills may not be needed.
      funding - the government dictates MITREs existence. if funding is cut, they're definitely not taking on new people.

MITRE as a whole seems to be a very conservative company. Since their only customer is the US government, MITRE has a very pro-military mindset. This is a great fit for some people, but may make others uncomfortable.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe up front with interns about what needs to happen in order for them to be offered a position. Have this conversation as soon as possible.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsSmart people who care about what they do for their govt sponsors and the American public.

ConsCan be bureaucratic, but it's a large organization. Needs to be more agile.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on delivering value/impact to govt customers and those they serve, and less on process and organizational structure, roles, etc.

Purpose, Integrity, and Continuous Learning

Senior Principal Systems Engineer (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsMITRE works in the public interest; as a not-for-profit, its focus is on that mission, not on making money. Integrity is a core value and is demonstrated by "speaking truth to power" and walking away from jobs that aren't in the public interest. Focusing on the next innovation is encouraged; since you're surrounded by smart, well-educated, and dedicated professionals, you can continuously learn and grow. The retirement and PTOB are among the best in the industry and work/life balance is real.

ConsAs an operator of FFRDCs, MITRE only works for the government - primarily the federal government. The inevitable bureaucracy, uneven and unsure funding, and political changes can be frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep talking and listening to the staff!

Great place to work!!

ProsGreat work/life balance. Immediate respect in any setting thanks to MITRE's reputation. MITRE gets called on to come solve hard problems. When the problems are fixed, we move on, so opportunities for new work abound... hard to ever imagine someone getting bored or stuck on a bad program for a long time. Retirement and benefits package is excellent; pay is reasonable for the workload. Great facilities and great people - I couldn't be happier (and I've been here nearly 10 years so far).

ConsPromotion rates and pay raises, overall, are pretty slow. Lots depends on your department when it comes to promotions...some are just flat.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe P&D process (annual goal planning/measurement) is just silly. Stop putting so much emphasis on "crafting" detailed goals for everyone. Maybe some employees respond to that, but some of us just want to put, "work hard, do a good job" and press on.

Love the people, love the work!

Senior Cyber Security Engineer (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsLots of training opportunities, great work-life balance, flexible hours, good benefits. I actually look forward to going into work every day to work on the multiple projects I support.

ConsIt feels like it is dominated by older management that doesn't always seem to quite understand the needs of the younger employees. Attrition lately seems to be a theme, but that also gives more opportunities for those of us who stick around to turn it around.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe're a research and development company, right? I feel like if I want to research up and coming technologies I sometimes have to go out and buy some of them myself to get my hands on it in order to effectively evaluate it. Specifically mobile devices like iPads/iPhones/Android phones/tablets/the newest Windows Phone, etc. I don't always want to have the newest stuff, but it doesn't seem too expensive to have a lab somewhere buy this consumer grade equipment to research. Let's get the equipment so our researchers can research it!

Great Place to Work

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsGreat place to work. Important mission, challenging technical work, good benefits and career development, possible to maintain work-life-balance. Great communication from senior executives (Directors and Above). Good communications on promotions, values, and business environment.

ConsStaff must be proactive in career development discussions with management, partly because middle management can be mixed quality. Like anywhere, work-life-balance is a trade-off, and you may be a bit sidelined (and unhappy) if you become invisible. Benefits were reduced to remain competitive with the marketplace, but are still among the best. Challenging customer funding environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain career development opportunities. Ensure middle management is in lock-step with senior management. Maintain an open and communicative dialog on strategic direction and external environment challenges.

Great company with great benefits, just hard to move up fast

Senior Communications Engineer (Current Employee) Aberdeen, MD

ProsExcellent 401k matching, the best work-life balance, ability to work on multiple projects daily. MITRE offers some fantastic benefits - granted, these benefits may have been slightly better in the past, but they are still fantastic

ConsHard to move up fast - still stuck in the government notion of time of service. Hard work will get you recognized, but no guarantee for promotion. Management is sometimes disconnected, yet still makes promotional decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote people before they think about leaving, get involved

if you want a rewarding career, work at MITRE

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat opportunities for younger staff who are earnest about getting in front of the sponsor. You can make great waves if you are able to translate technical concepts into simple actions or recommendations.

ConsHard to grow salary and climb the ladder, but the work-life balance is great. You will definitely have a rewarding career.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither be for profit or not-for profit -- straddling both makes it hard for staff to understand how the organization fits into the bigger picture.

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!