MITRE

MITRE Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

MITRE President and CEO Alfred Grasso

Alfred Grasso

Pros
  • people pretty much respect your schedule and are supportive of work life balance(in 121 reviews)

• Good Benefits; however, not as good as they were 25 years ago(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance has deteriorated as well as benefits(in 11 reviews)

• Some upper management seems to talk out both sides of their mouth -- dishonest and hypocritical(in 16 reviews)

Okay place to work ...

Project Leader (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsInteresting work - cutting edge technology for most projects; smart peers; contribute to solving national problems; don't need to work more than 40-45 hours/week, little travel

ConsMid manager level hit or miss - not unusual to have a Team lead who is very inexperienced; okay salary - can make much more elsewhere/no bonus structure; lots of folk who have been here a long, long time - generally they move slow when getting something done

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate your team leads, department heads, associate department heads -- in other companies they would be qualified for these positions - a strong technical skill set does not equate to being a good manager

MITRE 2014

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsFree parking, cafeteria, company gym (before they decided to outsource) retirement matching.

ConsMITRE has two tiered Benefits: premium salary and benefits for Officers, Vice Presidents and Directors, average to below market for everyone else.
    This leads to Officers, Vice Presidents and Directors not understanding why employee morale has dropped almost 20% in the last five years.
    The latest employee survey shows overall employee satisfaction at 73%.
    Most companies would consider such a rapidly descending satisfaction score a wakeup call. Here managements answer is to form a committee, do nothing with the results (make any implementation optional by Department management) and schedule a company bar—b-q.

Work/life benefits are toted in brochures but in reality are distributed only to those who are “connected” to their manager. Don’t bother bringing up this lack of equity to the HR or Legal department; they don’t care and they don’t like having to deal with employee issues.

Management is interested in only PowerPoint presentations full of graphics that are based on imaginary visions. Don't bother trying to be the best and brightest. The better you are at salesmanship, the higher you will rise at MITRE. If you want a career or a decent review at MITRE, lay low, think like the collective and never present an idea or opinion contrary to your managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees honestly answered your survey. The result is that they are unsatisfied and tired of the lack of equity at MITRE. Please listen to what the rank-and-file are saying. Create a directive to implement your work/life benefits and P&D changes to everyone. Your current system of having your department managers institute benefits at their own prerogative is not working and only results in employees who get work/life benefits and raised based upon favoritism.

Positive, professionally enhancing, solid technical environment

Senior Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsStrong emphasis on technical staff development. Outstanding continuing education benefites. Broad, and diverse work program. Good work-life balance.

ConsDifficult to promote; weak technical staff career path.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe "MITRE Way" is project/porfolio oriented, but does very little to develop and leverage technical staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"Good old boy" networks reign supreme. Management is disengaged. Working on Hanscom is awful.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsMITRE doesn't offer the highest salaries, but they have a fantastic benefits package. The retirement program and their matching more than makes up for the lack of salary. The medical and dental are affordable and have fantastic coverage. PTO isn't as generous as it used to be, but you still get over 4 weeks to use a year. Paid Holidays have been reduced but they still offer 8.

ConsMITRE is one of the few companies that I have worked for that you have to find your own work. The type of work you find is dependent upon your network. If you work in a closed area, this network is difficult to cultivate. Just to obtain coverage, you may end up working a task that is not technically challenging or interesting. Don't expect any help from your department manager to find work. My manager made it very clear that finding coverage was my responsibility, not his. He stated that he was only there for my annual review and raise.

Promotions were a rarity. Just 4 people in my department of 40+ received a promotion in 10 years. Working hard, exceeding the sponsor's expectations generally is not sufficient to get you a promotion. There appears to be a bias that is strongly tied to upper managements pet projects and the people working these were part of a "good old boys network".

I worked on Hanscom and this was one of the worst experiences of my life. The military looks for "butts in chairs" and you needed to be in your chair before 7:45 AM. You had no flexible work arrangements. Going to a doctor's appointment or taking your kid to daycare was a major deal. The Air Force was cutting costs on base so they had the cleaning of the rest rooms performed only once a week. I had to bring my own toilet paper and paper towers because the supplies ran out by mid-week. We had to empty our trash at the end of the day and bring it to a dumpster behind the building which was often visited by animals looking for food.

When we complained about working conditions at the base through MITRE's "Closing the Loop", the Vice-president came out to address us. He made it clear that he was not happy that we had complained many times. Basically he said, shut up and color. If you don't like it, leave. So I finally did.

Advice to Senior ManagementA reorg does not magically dissolve the good old boys network, nor does it eliminate poor management. Reconsider how promotions and raises are handed out. Not everyone can work on a pet project and those who do the not so glamorous work should be recognized. Depending on your salary increase is predetermined. People working pet projects are rated higher and the merit matrix doesn't motivate people to work harder for that extra 0.25%

A very good engineering consulting company that works in a large variety of government areas.

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThis is a friendly, intelligent company that seems to be very good at employing talented people and giving them interesting things to do. It seems there is a reasonable level of autonomy and a good attitude about respecting employees as people and professionals.

ConsIt's a bit old school (could be a pro for some I suppose ) and it sometimes feels limiting to be in a company that exclusively deals with government contracts. Also, as someone working on a government site rather than at a MITRE office, I sometimes felt out of touch.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a bit more involvement to help offsite workers feel integrated in the company.

Excellent career opportunities using state-of-the-art technologies to help our nation.

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsExcellent benefits (up to 5 weeks of paid time off per year, top-notch retirement program), great work/life balance, access to state-of-the-art technologies. Very low attrition and layoffs are a very rare occurrence.

ConsAlthough most of the company has an excellent technical environment, it's not the same everywhere. Your experience within the company can vary significantly depending on the division you join.

Work at this not-for-profit company is funded exclusively by the US Government. As a result, there are restrictions on how the funds are spent. If you are looking for free lunch every day and beer on Fridays, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to offer good benefits and technical work: it's what keeps most of us here. Continue to engage with employees and seek feedback according to their experience.

great place to work if you don't expect too much

Information Systems Engineer, Lead (Current Employee) McLean, VA

Prosflexibility in work schedule and location. people pretty much respect your schedule and are supportive of work life balance

Consthere are quite a few people who abuse the flexibility. there is no additional reward for those who work hard. there are disincentives to work hard.

Advice to Senior Managementreward faster for people who push.

Good place to start or end a technical career

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsWide range of highly diverse and open-ended technical work. You can learn a lot in a short time and get a lot of control over your own parts of projects. Good work-life balance and very hands-off management, allowing staff to control their own schedules and telework as needed. Excellent day-to-day work atmosphere with very accomplished and friendly colleagues. Great 401k and vacation benefits even after recent cutbacks, nice campus-like offices at main sites, and little bureaucracy or onerous rules compared to other defense companies.

ConsTechnical people have zero career path and disproportionately low salaries. Promotions go to consultants and bureaucrats with government connections, with even high impact technical or research work not rewarded. Lots of older staff entrenched in the higher positions, and openings are usually filled by new hires instead of promotions. Not much research going on except in one or two departments, and the internal research program is increasingly useless and all about business development. Unlike other FFRDCs, they place little value on having a PhD or your own research agenda, so PhDs get a raw deal and are often under-hired. Many projects are initially fascinating but ultimately fall through, and the main thrust of the company's work today ("systems engineering") just amounts to IT and management consulting.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back into the science and move away from consulting. If MITRE wants to become just another government consultancy, there is no point in being an FFRDC. Don't bring in highly qualified researchers and treat them like support staff.

Excellent Benefits & Flexibility

Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsMITRE works with many government facets from the military to court system to the health industry. The highest priority is to support the customer. Work/life balance is emphasized.

ConsThe promotion path is not always clear and can be very subjective. Working in a tech center makes it even more so.

Pro's and con's

ProsGreat work life integration, retirement benefits outstanding and educational assistance excellent. Good learning environment depending on where you are in company.

ConsPromotions are few and far between, managers don't promote based on merit instead credentials and or favorites and salary increases are less than the cost of living and are distributed as bonuses!

Advice to Senior ManagementGive equal share of promotions to indirect staff as direct staff, determine fair job categories based on expertise not salary ; discourage managers from playing favorites and focus on development of staff. If managers aren't good managers, get rid of them!

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!