MITRE Reviews

3.8

MITRE President and CEO Alfred Grasso
Alfred Grasso

Pros
  • people pretty much respect your schedule and are supportive of work life balance (in 122 reviews)

• Good Benefits; however, not as good as they were 25 years ago (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance has deteriorated as well as benefits (in 12 reviews)

• Some upper management seems to talk out both sides of their mouth -- dishonest and hypocritical (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

MITRE is truly a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Ability to work in the public interest on critical national security issues with full support of management to "do the right thing." At MITRE the only interest is the public interest.

Cons

As a not for profit organization, while your are paid a competitive salary, there are no stock options or bonuses as can be seen in some other high tech companies (eg. Google...)

More town hall style interactions with employees, enabling management to discuss it vision and direction, coupled with Q&A with the staff.

MITRE - A great place to do interesting work.

Current Employee - Info Systems Engineer, Lead  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Info Systems Engineer, Lead in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Diverse opportunities for interesting project work.

Cons

slow progression. FFRDC restrictions on type of work that you can perform. Very conservative in approach and work force demographic.

Overall, I think MITRE is a great place to work. I think its critical to maintain a corporate focus on sharing information across the sponsor base as a great asset of the company.

Good place to work, would be great if management paid attention to employees instead of upper levels of management.

Current Employee - Lead Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Benfits are good. Work/life balanced is respected.

Cons

Management never gets to really know their employees. Traditional engineering company promoting the best engineers into management even when they do not have "leadership" capabilities.

Get employee feedback before pronouncing your engineered logical decisions that affect people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mr. Grasso is a firm believer in MITRE and it's mission but never loses site that MITRE's core value is its employees.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

I beleive that MITRE values my input and cares about my contributions.

Cons

There is not a lot of growth opportunities for minorities and women. But the company has taken a hard look at these practices and is improving significantly.

Spend more time talking with our customers at the highest level possible. Our technical managers have great relationships with our customers and upper managemnt should build upon that relationship.

It depends.

Current Employee - Information Management  in  Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Information Management in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Working in the national interest on important projects. Compensation is good. Benefits are good. The retirement plan is generous. Co-workers are intelligent. MITRE encourages employees to stay on the job past retirement age. Staff has access to latest tools and technology. MITRE is careful but still willing to experiment.

Cons

Compensation is good but the possibilities for career advancement are limited. Past and present experience does not seem to matter or count for much. The annual review laddering process artificially forces managers to choose winners and losers. Management too top heavy. Annual increases are limited. Management doesn't listen. Younger managers are not prepared. Promotions are made by hiring from the outside. Internal promotions are limited. Bureaucratic. Hierarchical.

Listen. Listen. Listen. Then do something positive and fair.

MITRE takes care of management and upper level employees, not the engineers.

Current Employee - Lead Modeling and Simulation Engineer  in  Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Lead Modeling and Simulation Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

The benefits package can't be beat. The PTOB is one of the best around and the retirement package is difficult to replicate elsewhere. Depending on where you work in the corporation, you can work on some amazing new technologies or really make a difference.

Cons

Upper management tends to take care of high level employees, not the ones actually doing the work in the trenches. The corporate culture is a bit odd compared to for profit companies.

The reorg was handled poorly. High level employees were taken very good care of but low level employees were left out in the cold. When the decisions were questions, authority was used as a club.

The Konexxa survey results were incredibly surprising. Everyone that I work with believed that the results were too optimistic and did not represent the real view of employees.

Enter as management...not as staff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I worked at MITRE

Pros

Benefits package. 403(b) is excellent and health insurance is great. Time off is okay. Medical time off is good but you have to use about 24 hours of your vacation/sick time before it will kick in. The atmosphere is mostly relaxed and there are many people who have been there for years so it does show it's a fairly good place to work.

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities. They do not promote from within and that will tend to create some disatisfied employees.

Promote from within. Look at the resources you already have in front of you.

Great Company for someone established in their career looking for a good work/life balance.

Current Employee - Lead Engineer  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Flexibility, good work/life balance. Stable and reliable employment and since it is a non-profit technical skills are valued over sales skills. Staff is encouraged to come up with the best technical solution without regard to how much money the firm can make. This aspect of the MITRE role is refreshing and needed by government sponsors.

Cons

Pay, No Stock Options, As a Non-profit there are no perks. As a non-profit and as a trusted agent of the government contractors tend to resent our role, this in turn makes the job stressful at times.

Be more competitve on yearly raises, give some perks to employees

Benefits and flexibility are great, but politics rule, advancement is tricky and pay is low.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Support for formal education, benefits, flexible work arrangements. MITRE supports telework, education reimbursement and has the best retirement plan I've ever seen. Health benefits, vacation and personal leave are also exceptional. There is even a (competitive) accelerated advanced degree program. The McLean facility has an on site gym and numerous employee services.

Cons

Clickish, nepotism, bureaucratic, not rewarded for performance. MITRE has a lot of long time employees and overpaid fat. Advancement is often about who you know and how well you leverage the bureaucracy rather than how productive you are or how well you serve the customer.

Recognize and reward for outstanding performance or performers will move on.

Great People, Great Benefits, Good Job Security, But a little less $$$

Current Employee - Lead Engineer  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

If you are looking for something in between being a government employee and a regular contractor, this is the place. You get a lot of job security in the sense that one is not tied to the vagaries of business development and the contractual renewal cycle found at other places. Benefits are excellent as well. Before I hired on I was military, and out of all the contractors I interacted with the MITRE guys seemed the "happiest" to be there. It's a great place to work.

Cons

You make less money, clearly you can make more working for a regular beltway bandit or defense contractor.

Give employees a little more freedom to take the initiative

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!