MITRE

www.mitre.org
  www.mitre.org

MITRE Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
4.1

MITRE President and CEO Alfred Grasso
Alfred Grasso

Pros
  • people pretty much respect your schedule and are supportive of work life balance (in 130 reviews)

• Good Benefits; however, not as good as they were 25 years ago (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to grow salary and climb the ladder, but the work-life balance is great (in 16 reviews)

• Some upper management seems to talk out both sides of their mouth -- dishonest and hypocritical (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work and great benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Doing great things for our sponsors and being allowed to think out of the box. This is a place where you can be challenged.

Cons

Many sponsors need to better understand what MITRE has to offer. Find very difficult tasks that require a multi-disciplinary approach. Allow MITRE to step away from tasks that are not in this venue and give them to a for-profit company.

Make some hard decisions. Many times MITRE VP and CEO talk about things that they don't necessarily follow up with and make some hard decisions.

Great place to work - diversity in people, expertise, and projects to support. Retirement benefits are best anywhere.

Current Employee - Senior Information Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Information Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

The incredible diversity in people and experience at MITRE allows personal and professional growth on a daily basis, while the ability to support different projects means employees can move to another project if they feel stale, and don't need to leave MITRE. Longevity of employees is also overwhelming. It is more unheard of to be at MITRE for 1 year than it is for 10 years.

Cons

Promotions and advancement are slow to come by, and some who have already attained higher levels do not work at those levels and are not held accountable.

Differentiating MITRE as an FFRDC and pushing back on those who see us as a contractor are big time needs. For people to be getting CACs or .mil emails as contractors is a failure on the part of upper management.

Great company, great benefits, difficult to advance

Current Employee - Senior Multi-Disciplinary Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Multi-Disciplinary Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Company invests time, resources, and efforts in ensuring a content and well-supplied/supported workforce. Easy to do good work when you don't have to worry about infrastructure or technical failures

Cons

Management is often too busy to manage...lots of responsibility from business development to technical project work to human resources activities.

Establish a clear career advancement process for technical folks allowing them to advance without feeling the need to take a management position when they have no desire to fulfill a management role.

Great R&D Lab

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Great place to work if you want to work without many boundaries. With their customers only being the US government and agencies within the US government there is less emphasis on sales and marketing and feasibility of ideas and more look into what these products could give in the future. Management is very open and the whole community of researchers are easy to talk to and there is little to none of the bureaucratic mess that other larger corporations have.

Cons

Some of the work is part time and grant based depending on the whims of government officials.

Management should focus on making programs more stable and keep improving and pushing forward each field that the US government has MITRE contracted.

Good FFRDC Work - yeah right, that's a laugh

Current Employee - Principal Information Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Information Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Sharing, collaboration, expertise. This place reeks of talent and desire, however ..... (see below)

Cons

In the quest to grow (namely CEM, now CCG) we are taking on work that is completely inappropriate. Many of my co-workers are under employed, our sponsors don't get it when it comes to an FFRDC, and the task and portfolio managers seem indifferent to the work we are assigned. MITRE is in real danger here of getting into hot water when the other non-ffrdc contractors get wind of the work we are doing. Me: I'm a glorified note taker and admin assistant, never mind that I have multiple degrees, and I am a PMP. I spend most days doing little valuable work and I've stopped asking the managers to give me work that is going to challenge me. This isn't just me, many of my peers are either resigned to their fate or are actively looking for new work. One five year veteran told me "keep your mouth shut and take the paycheck..." Folks, the train is off the tracks here and it's only a matter of time till the bodies start piling up. If I hear the phrase "....MITRE is doing great FFRDC work that is making an impact " from senior mgmt one more time, I'm going to puke.

Hey Al, how about picking portfolios at random and do some anonymous surveys of the grunts at the AC-3 and 4 level about the QUALITY of the work assignment. You might learn something and be very surprised. Hint, start with CCG,

Good work, good people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Great work, interesting people, good work/life balance. Most people are here to make a difference and do something important for the country, not to enrich themselves.

Cons

Change happens very slowly. It is very hierarchical.

Spend more time talking to average employees.
    Help us get out of contractor-type work.
    Make the Frameworks siimpler and easier to understand. It is too long and compilcated.

Good place to work, like any place, they have thier issues.....

Current Employee - Senior Communications Engineer in Eatontown, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Communications Engineer in Eatontown, NJ

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Good retirement, paid time off, and tuition reimbursement benefits. Great environment, culture is very upbeat. Good oppurtunity to reach into various projects if you make yourself visible and available. Great networking oppurtunities while working with great people. Corporation offers great internal training courses, great IT support for equipment and online internal resources. Very accomodating work schedules affoded for folks with families and telecomuting is heavily leveraged. Organization hires talent with great credentials.

Cons

As a non profit organization, there is a very limited, and I mean limited bonus structure. You will find that perception trumps talent occasionally which can be very frustrating for some who aren't gifted at gaming the system for advacement, recognition and promotions. Overall this is a systems engineering organization which typically doesn't bode well with techy type engineers who like to get their hands dirty in actual design. Design type projects are mostly up in the Bedford, MA and Washington area.

Organizaition for the most part is very top heavy and the careers of those at the working level are left to deal with managements incompetance. Internally, I see and hear of the work that goes on in various projects that adds up to nothing more than overpaid overskilled administrative support to the customer, not what MITRE preaches. You will find that folks with the "fake it untill you make it" mentality do the best here and continue to rise. I am oftem amazed to see the employees who get promotion after promotion have a profile where they stay on key visible projects just long enough until they crumble in failure just after thier departure.

Grow talent from within and keep management at all levels accountable for attrition and failure to recognize thier working personnel for their accomplisments and potential. Suggest MITRE officers look back at all the major DoD failures that have occurred over the last 15 years which had MITRE support and see who worked those projects and hold them accountable in the long term. You will see that many of the these people have a history of moving from project to project while accruing promotions. Soon after they leave the projects, the damage left behind begins to surface.

I like it

Current Employee - Senior Information Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Information Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Good benefits, and good people.

Cons

Some very good engineers have become very bad managers.

Promote the leaders, not the people you hope become leaders.

MITRE - The one stop shop for a career, education, and happiness

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

MITRE focuses very hard to provide employees with a quality work life opportunity. Providing about 5 weeks of annual leave, generous retirement contribution matching, college tuition reimbursement, flexible work hours, there's just too much to name. If you have a family, MITRE is a great place to work for.

Over the course of the years, I have seen many people go on to receive their first or second Master's degree while continuing to work full time. The fact that MITRE has such a diverse work portfolio with DoD, IRS and FAA, there's many different types of work that you can get involved with.

Cons

There are many people at MITRE who are knowledgeable in their respective fields. However, that means that a majority of those people are occupying the upper-level positions that others cannot advance to. MITRE typically does not promote people unless the department can justify a case of why a higher position is needed in that department. Often some people are left frustrated at the review process.

Another downside is that you won't find typical corporate perks here like those sky box tickets to some professional sport or a huge Christmas gala. MITRE is a non-profit organization, and thus cannot provide these types of perks.

Work stronger is sharing knowledge across the FFRDCs (e.g. FAA, DoD, IRS). There's constant duplication of work and lessons that could be shared.

An organization drowning in its own hubris

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Flexible work arrangements; steady work; strong business development. A lot of the work has become very boring.

Cons

Posted AC job categories and responsibilities don't match actual promotions. It does not matter what you do as long as you kiss up to the right manager. Employees are punished for requesting guidance or understanding on why they are not advancing by being told they are only out for themselves despite feedback from the same managers that the way to advance is to work hard and be proactive. Mixed messages lead to great confusion.

You are not gods.