MITRE Reviews

Good Place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Employee valued by managers Great work life balance Diverse technical work program

Cons

Salaries are not aligned with industry Promotions are far and few between Top heavy

Advice to Management

Attrition of the 5 to 10 year technical staffer is too high, look to retain this demographic

Working at MITRE has been overwhelmingly positive and personally refreshing

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Extremely rewarding work, a chance to use your talents to best effect. Very supportive leadership and ability to stay objective -- am constantly told to do or say the right thing regardless of any of our customers' agendas. MITRE makes is EASY to work -- support side of company is constantly working to make it easier for the front-line people to work remotely as well as securely. I have nothing to sell except my knowledge, skills and services -- and those sell themselves.

Cons

I have to think really really hard to come up with a downside to working at MITRE -- visualize Winnie the Pooh trying to think!

Advice to Management

Ignore the whiners, trim extraneous costs like superfluous paper pamphlets, keep doing what you have been to make MITRE a go-to place our customers can come for answers to their tough challenges

Senior management arrogance palpable

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Many colleagues are great, respectful, smart, hard working.

Cons

Advice to Management

Senior management starts one project then changes direction with little rhyme or reason which is demoralizing to staff. Leaves little room to become excited for new initiatives because teams fear rug will be pulled out from under them. Be consistent. Support your staff. They are actually smarter, more, committed and willing to do fornthe company, country and cause than you think.

Great salary/benefits/work life balance, not the best place for professional development

Current Employee - Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Great salary, benefits, retirement program, work life balance

Cons

Not always busy Not that challenging Work doesn't make a huge impact Lack of teamwork

6. Employee focused with great coworkers

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Great Work-Life Balance at MITRE

Cons

All employees are smart and retention is very high. Unfortunately that means many employees are quite old.

Outstanding

Current Employee - Lead Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Best and the brightest, that industry has to offer. The work is challenging, interesting, and significant. The compensation package is one of the best I have seen.

Cons

The low turnover and the caliber people they hire, promotions are slow. The pay is a little lower than in the private sector, but the compensation package makes up for it.

Advice to Management

I would like to see management connecting groups that are working on similar problems for collaboration. Often MITRE staff discovers other MITRE groups doing similar work for sponsors within a community of interest. MITRE staff find out about other efforts either by accident or through professional relationships inside MITRE or inside the community of interest. A focused review of who is doing what and connecting the groups together to share information may help cut development.

8. Professional Work Environment

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Quality Sr. Managers who truly believe in making MITRE a great place work.

Cons

A little too much effort is made to ensure work life balance. Some thought should also be given to how time off for one person affects others.

Advice to Management

Continue on the path that has been made over the last 5 years.

9. MITRE is a fantastic place to work.

Current Employee - Info Systems Engineer, Senior in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Info Systems Engineer, Senior in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

The work at MITRE is interesting and challenging and your coworkers are some of the brightest people in their fields. Great benefits and a fantastic retirement program. Very competitive pay.

Cons

Employees working at sites don't always have access to some of the great benefits available when you work at the Bedford or McLean campuses. Through the course of your work you will often bump into very smart, very tactless engineers.

Advice to Management

Overall I think MITRE is doing an excellent job, but there is room for improvement in the amount of money made available for training and education. I also disagree with the recent decision to only hire people with degrees, whereas in the past relevant work in your field was sufficient.

10. Enrichening and challenging

Current Employee - Senior Principal Scientist in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Scientist in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

work diversity; educational benefits; research opportunities

Cons

operates off of an internal job market.

MITRE, Perfect for the Introverted Geek

Current Employee - Business Analyst in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

This is a company that treats employees with respect and as adults. It's a great place to come late in a career to provide high level consulting services to the Federal Government.

Cons

It can be a little ivory tower. Sometimes you just want to get things done. They could have better people skills in management, but they try hard.

Advice to Management

MITRE could use a broader range of talent - they should reach across into the marketing arena and get people who have real leadership skills to balance the techno-geek introverts they favor.

RSS Feed </> Embed