MITRE

MITRE Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

MITRE President and CEO Alfred Grasso

Alfred Grasso

Pros
  • people pretty much respect your schedule and are supportive of work life balance (in 122 reviews)

• Good Benefits; however, not as good as they were 25 years ago (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance has deteriorated as well as benefits (in 12 reviews)

• Some upper management seems to talk out both sides of their mouth -- dishonest and hypocritical (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Growing Pains but Still a Great Place to Work

ProsEnjoy the flexible work life balance

Constime off policies, struggling to keep value in marketplace changes

Advice to Senior ManagementBe confident in the company values, we believe in the company's purpose

Great Work-Life Balance but Little Opportunity for Reward

Lead Engineer (Current Employee) Annapolis Junction, MD

ProsThe company and management give employees a lot of flexibility in how they perform their jobs and handle personal responsibilities. Some opportunities for doing research if you are in the right organization. Our customers respect our expertise.

ConsLittle opportunity for advancement unless you make the right contacts in executive management. Salaries are flat, so with rising health care costs and benefit erosion, most employees net less every year.

A place to have a job but not a career

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGood benefits, flexible work hours and little pressure to make project dates make for an excellent life/work balance.

ConsExtremely slow pace and little motivation to innovate. It is very difficult to affect change. Many people are 'lifers' that have been doing the same job for years with no prospect of advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct less like a government agency and more like a competitive firm. Hire more managers from outside the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsGreat place to work. Important mission, challenging technical work, good benefits and career development, possible to maintain work-life-balance. Great communication from senior executives (Directors and Above). Good communications on promotions, values, and business environment.

ConsStaff must be proactive in career development discussions with management, partly because middle management can be mixed quality. Like anywhere, work-life-balance is a trade-off, and you may be a bit sidelined (and unhappy) if you become invisible. Benefits were reduced to remain competitive with the marketplace, but are still among the best. Challenging customer funding environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain career development opportunities. Ensure middle management is in lock-step with senior management. Maintain an open and communicative dialog on strategic direction and external environment challenges.

Former "Top 100 Company" for a reason

Engineer (Former Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsInteresting work. Smart people collaborating

ConsTop heavy upper management. Employee annual review process convoluted, outdated, and can be very subjective. (Management/HR not interested in employee feedback) Benefit reductions.

Great Company

Lead Engineer (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsBenefits, Salary, Work Satisfaction, Location

ConsRe-organization doesn't make sense and adds complexity and overhead.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdding complexity while reducing management opportunities may not be the best strategy.

An interesting place to work that can be a bit stuffy at times

ProsThe work tends to be engaging and technical. The staff can about the mission of the company.

ConsWhile there is good work, at times the work can become less interesting. Management also seems to be doing some re-orgs with no clear explanation of why it's beneficial.

Continuing downward spiral

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsCo-workers who try hard to do the right things, 401k matching.

ConsYour career satisfaction will vary depending upon the center and contract you are working on. In my center there is no room for either career or pay advancement. If you don't negotiate a good salary when you join MITRE, you will find yourself in the unenviable position of not having your salary keep up with inflation. Your department manager either makes or breaks your career. Department management at MITRE has too much authority - this is the only company I know of where after negotiating a transfer, your Department Manager can prevent the transfer from occurring. I have witnessed several instances of managers circumventing state and federal laws. When this is brought up to HR, Legal and company President, they either deny it occurs, sweep incident under the rug or find a reason to fire the whistle blower.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile I applaud the president of MITRE for his monthly Let's Talk Q&A sessions, based on his responses to questions given, he appears to be out of touch with how the average employee feels and out of the loop on what policies his directors are implementing. Maybe a stint on Undercover Boss would reconnect him with his AC2, 3 and 4 staff.

Awkward for a Recent Grad

Economic/Business Analyst (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsFlexible schedule, good vacation, client interface

ConsAmbiguous goals, pointless work, lack of direction

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide new hires specific assignments. Need much more specificity when starting out.

Great Company - Great Opportunities

Lead Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsThe MITRE people are among the most professional engineers that I have ever worked with. When all is said and done, it's about doing the right thing.

ConsProfessional advancement can be a long and not well communicated path.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe MITRE way was a step in the right direction in communicating overall direction and expectations of management. We need more of this.

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!