MITRE Reviews

Reset
3.4
MITRE President and CEO Alfred Grasso
Alfred Grasso

Pros
  • The work life balance is excellent (in 130 reviews)

• Good Benefits; however, not as good as they were 25 years ago (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • I'll first address work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Some upper management seems to talk out both sides of their mouth -- dishonest and hypocritical (in 16 reviews)

A Good Mix of R&D

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MITRE has a somewhat academic atmosphere, which is great for having people focus on ideas, prototypes, and analysis. It's not hard to find interesting colleagues who want to collaborate on all sorts of projects. The benefits and work/life balance make a difference as well.

Cons

A lack of market pressure allows for low-performers to remain on the payroll, and they are hard to ignore since there are also extremely high-performers on staff. A long-term career view is also required, since promotions don't always follow performing excellently over a significant period of time.

Advice to Management

Increase the focus on excellence in execution. It's not a mystery who the truly incompetent people are; deal with them.

2. Senior Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good compared to similar companies

Cons

Management does not listen to its senior analysts or advisers.

Advice to Management

Listen to and evaluate your employees' ideas.

3. Department Manager

Current Employee - Department Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in McLean, VA

Pros

work life balance, collaborative work environment, meaningful work

Cons

challenge in balancing the business needs with sponsor needs

Aug 17, 2015 – Comms Representative

Thank you for your feedback! It is always a challenge to balance competing needs, but we are proud of how well we’ve been able to manage them.

"M" stands for Mediocrity

Current Employee - Senior Principal in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Principal in Washington, DC

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If one of your friends lost their job at PWC or IBM and the took refuge at MITRE, they can probably set you up with a pretty cushy job where you don't have to work very hard. If you have a friend in government who will give you work, MITRE officers will love that because you are a "trusted advisor" and they'll leave you alone as long as you bring in that money. If you are at the end of your career and don't want to grow technically or contribute to the field, it can be a good place for you to hang out for a few years until you retire.

Cons

Company basically uses the FFRDC not-for-profit thing as a contracting loophole. They mostly do the same work as any other consulting company but use the claim they are an FFRDC as a business capture tool. Company makes more money by doing mediocre work for lots of customers than trying to do really good work. Officers pushed a re-org doing something called the "MITRE Way" to create flexibility for chasing whatever work they can. Technically, MITRE is where careers go to die. The people who love it there and stay there are mostly the ones who couldn't get work in a more competitive environment. The staff functions like HR, Finance, etc. have really run crazy - they do nothing to help staff or the work but have lots of important sounding initiatives that are really just busy work for themselves. CCG has tried to boost their number of PhDs but that is fake since lots of those are from low-caliber schools and diploma mills. The senior manager and director jobs are awful as they have all the revenue capture stress of a for-profit but no bonuses and the officers force these jobs to ignore the research or technical work so it is very unsatisfying. The MITRE Way has been used by the officers to turn lots of managers and senior staff that used to care about the work and public interest into drones chasing revenue.

Advice to Management

None. Officers seem pretty happy with your ineffective, corrupt, lazy and dishonest ways. Why would you change? You have been immune to federal regulations about FFRDCs, feedback from your employee and needs of your customers so any advice I have wouldn't mean anything.

Going downhill fast

Former Employee - Software Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Software Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time

Pros

The FFRDC role, when applied correctly, is a unique and important role. There are pockets of technical excellence within MITRE, but those pockets have been getting slowly killed over the years by bureaucracy and politics. If you aren't top tier technical talent and want an easy job where it's next to impossible to get fired, MITRE is for you.

Cons

MITRE has a technical talent problem. They have been shedding top tier staff and have been replacing them with empty suit / program managers. The quality of the work they do has dramatically declined. MITRE is growing, however their new business areas are dominated by non-technical 'consultants' who masquerade as engineers. Cliques, politics, dishonesty, and abuse of technical staff abound. MITRE has sacrificed quality work programs for the sake of it's own organizational dysfunction.

Advice to Management

Admit you have a problem and stop relying on the fact that you are growing and continue to get work just by your company name and history. Get off the top deck of MITRE 2 and start engaging with the workforce who has talent and protect them. Trim the fat from your existing "technical" staff. Learn how to manage.

Aug 17, 2015 – Comms Representative

We are sorry that you did not have a positive experience. We are proud to have such strong technical talent at MITRE and that so many of our employees stay with the company far longer than industry ... More

seriously great place to work

Current Employee - Lead Communications Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Communications Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

MITRE seriously values the opinions of their employees...almost to a fault! I've been there for 9 years and when they get feedback that employees are unhappy they move quickly to try to fix, and sometimes so quickly that it seems a bit hasty, but I guess that's a good problem from a large company. The benefits are too notch, their package blows other contractors out of the water. Really smart people who have good experience. I'm constantly learning from my peers. Awesome culture of information sharing and collaboration. I can reach out to anyone across the company and get good info without being asked for a charge number to answer a few questions. Flexible hours and good work life balance. Really good work. Tough projects and access to info that other traditional contractors can't access, making you more effective at your job. Decent work space, although not hip or trendy by any means. They recognize good work and reward where they can. During sequestration they put everyone on overhead, carrying many for over 3 weeks. No layoffs or forced vacation. I really respected the company for that, they care about their work force and don't have the same bottom line that for profit companies have. Aging work force is going to leave many opportunities for up and comers in the next few years. Also there is a large emphasis on training and continuing education. I got my masters from George Washington University for free!!!

Cons

Low attrition leaves some folks around who really should be encouraged to move on. Management is hit or miss, as in any company. Pay is below average, but they do have amazing benefits, so it's not really too far off if you factor that in. There's not a whole lot of worker comraderie, most folks get along but aren't what I would consider close friends. It's easy to get sucked into projects and end up putting in lots of hours. In general though, that is self driven and not encouraged by management. Some folks are grumpy. People have been there for a long time so it's easy to get stale and complain. In general folks don't know how good they have it!

Advice to Management

Trust your middle managers to interface with customers, don't meddle in topics where you have SMEs working daily who know the details and politics.

Aug 17, 2015 – Comms Representative

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review. We’re pleased to hear that you still love working at MITRE after more than nine years and have taken advantage of some of the fantastic ... More

8. excellent place to work

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time

Pros

Company is amazing and everyone is really friendly and helpful. Best job I ever had!

Cons

It's a BIG company so its easy to get lost and sometime hard to get hold of people.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Aug 17, 2015 – Comms Representative

Thank you for your review!

Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The organization has a few good things working for it - health benefits are good, the technical work is excellent.

Cons

Up until 2009, the organization had good morals and principles as well as a firm working environment that was conducive to a healthy place to work. Today, the environment displays a stressful and "clickish" undercurrent. The rules of engagement applies to some and not all. All is not what it appears to be on the surface of this once fine organization.

Advice to Management

Take heed MITRE - all employees are to be treated equally - black, white and indifferent. Your organization can be a great place to work once again if all managers were trained properly in the art of how to manage people fairly.

Aug 17, 2015 – Comms Representative

We appreciate your feedback and echo your sentiment that MITRE’s technical work is superior. We pride ourselves on having excellent people leading the company. We are proud of the recent significant ... More

10. Solid Mitre Internship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE (Less than a year)

Pros

I interviewed for a specific project, but I ended up getting to pick the project I wanted to work on once I arrived. The project ended up having some really cool interdisciplinary work.

Cons

Seemed like it's a bit difficult to shine at the lower levels, but not too overwhelming. The dedicated sponsor hours is also somewhat frustrating.

Advice to Management

Make an attempt to add more flexibility to the dedication and limitation of hours to certain sponsor projects. Perhaps a big pool of hours for a sponsor.

Aug 17, 2015 – Comms Representative

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your internship. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your project and the opportunity to do work on an interdisciplinary project. We understand ... More

Principal Software Engineer

Former Employee - Principal Software Development Engineer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Development Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Collaborative, open, sharing environment. You really do have the option to create your own career path. There are a lot of very smart people at MTRE.

Cons

Research program is a bit overhyped. It's more like a post-doc place to go for people who have a hard time fitting into a regular work force. Frequent reorganizations to create more higher level positions. Has a bit of an inverted project management structure where more junior people can lead projects and the senior people become very expensive individual contributors.

Advice to Management

Seek out the people doing the real work and reward them.

Aug 17, 2015 – Comms Representative

Thanks for posting. We’re happy to hear that you enjoy the collaborative environment at MITRE and with your co-workers. We are pleased with the quality work and research that happens throughout all ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed