MKA

Updated Jun 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Manny Kaplan

Great place to build a career.

Staff Auditor (Current Employee) North Hollywood, CA

ProsGreat benefits
    Fairly competitive pay
    New staffs hardly work OT.
    Coworkers are friendly.
    OT are available to staffs, seniors, and supervisors, excludes managers and partners.

ConsVery little training. All trainings are hands on.
    CPE requirements done outside of work are out-of-pocket costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest the time and money to train new auditors the basic skills needed (e.g. how to navigate through the software, the purpose for the tests of each engagement) before throwing them into an audit.

They try, but...

Staff (Current Employee) North Hollywood, CA

ProsSuper nice people. Partners are all great and will talk to you socially. They actually attend company events. They are interested in what you do and will support any event or nonprofit you're involved in.
    Free snacks. Free bagels on Fridays.
    There are fun people. Happy hour outings and lots of employee send off parties (EVERYONE is leaving, or looking to leave)
    Free dental
    Free life insurance

ConsParking - you have to move your car every two hours so you don't get ticketed
    Old people - there are people who have been there for 40 years. They are stuck in their ways and grumpy. They expect you to stick around that long, because, they don't know any better.
    Technology - the IT has been there for 40 years, and is stuck in 1990. Some people don't know how to use Excel or email. 0_0
    Clients - everything revolves around labor unions. Which, suck, and are old. There's no commercial work
    Pay - they low-ball everyone, I started at $40K
    Raises/Advancement - they don't promote the right people or give realistic raises. They are all old people, so, they think you should stay at a company for more than 10 years.
    Opportunity - None of them look at the future or want to grow. This firm will die out in a few years. It can't keep up.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times.

A good team = A good experience

Staff Auditor (Current Employee) North Hollywood, CA

ProsMKA is a good growing company, It's a great place to get work experience, they provide opportunities to those who graduated and want to work in public accounting to go in as an entry level staff without any prior accounting experience.

ConsYou get booked on a team and you don't have much place for career growth. What i mean is that you will get placed on a team that deals specifically with a particular industry and you are not given the opportunity to learn more than just that industry.

On the job training - I understand this cuts down on cost but I don't believe it's effective. I believe that a minimum of 2 weeks training should be provided to introduce new staff to the software that the firm uses and provide new hires with tools to use when they are going to be out on the field.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people and provide them with the opportunity to grow there careers in the firm. Don't limit your teams to one industry, allow them to explore other industries the firm has and after 2 or 3 years let them choose what area they want to focus on.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rubber stamp EBP audits

Staff Auditor (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsTechnically there is paid overtime (IF you can get it approved, and it's mostly paid at straight-time). Generous sick time. Better than being unemployed.

ConsVacation and Holiday time; expected to eat time and "rubber stamp" audits (without being explicitly told, of course) to stay in budget; no orientation or initial training - ALL training is on-the-job, and most of it you're expected to figure out on your own; little marketable experience outside the benefit plan industry; terrible IT (support, equipment, and software); terrible communication, no leadership; cheap with training, cheap with travel expenses, cheap with benefits; blatantly lie about future pay increases

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees as assets instead of expenses. [Get how both are debits? :)]

Supportive of balanced lifestyle

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe firm is very supportive of those with family commitments and recognizes that you should and do have other priorities. If you see that you want to try a different department, they are responsive to that and will work in some of those audits for you.

ConsClients are mostly employee benefit plans, unions, and non-profits. Nothing very sexy about this work. Pay is somewhat below what other firms offer. It's hit or miss with management, but you can be transferred.

Very disappointing - narrow minded people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) North Hollywood, CA

ProsIt may be better than not getting paid.

ConsNot a lot of room for error. Bring your A game, a very up or out kind of place.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork a little harder at bringing people along.

Case Study in the Peter Principle

Senior (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsDecent hours, staff and seniors are friendly and non-competitive.

ConsI've yet to come across another business with as many supervisors, managers, and partners ill-suited to manage others. At least two of the supervisors and managers I directly worked with who supposedly had years of experience auditing benefit plans lacked basic knowledge about how these plans worked, and the terminology. Their knowledge gaps were evident in meetings and conversations I overheard between them and clients - the clients ended up filling in those gaps. Even I had picked up these essential facts that they lacked. I was rather embarrassed for these individuals, but the ultimate blame lies with the partners above them who deemed them suitable for management. And as another reviewer noted, budgets are completely out of line with the reality and much work is glossed over. Perhaps that's where the problem ultimately begins. I had the intellectual curiosity to fill in gaps on my own time - perhaps they did not.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead up on the Peter Principle and take a good look at your compensation structure to make sure you retain talent. Talented staff with any ambition inevitably look elsewhere.

micro managed, can't grow that much after you hit senior auditor level

Auditor (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prossalary is ok, over time

Consvery micro-managed, hard deadlines, RIDICULOUS budgets that you can't meet unless you skim through all the audit programs

Great for life-long auditors or people without strong ambition

Auditor (Former Employee)

ProsHours are reasonable, people are generally nice, significant interaction with partners, paid days off for CPA exam, provides basic real world understanding of accounting, good benefits

ConsLabor unions, employee benefit plans, non-profits, etc., seemed like a large % of their client base, but there aren't many desirable career opportunities in those industries or overlap between the accounting you're exposed to and what is expected at a for-profit business. Little effort given to employee development beyond standardized CPE.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more effort on developing employees professionally even if it sacrifices a few billable hours. Cultural emphasis on separating work from personal lives is good for older people with families but leads to little team-building and low morale among younger employees

It's ok.

Staff Auditor (Current Employee)

ProsMKA has a good company culture overall. Workloads are more manageable than they are at other CPA firms and time over 40 hours a week is paid overtime (though not necessarily at a 1.5 rate).

ConsUtilization of technology is poor. Training is insufficient.

Worked for MKA? Contribute to the Community!