MKS Instruments

3.1

MKS Instruments President, CEO, and Director Leo Berlinghieri
Leo Berlinghieri

Solid Company but Risk Averse

I worked at MKS Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent technology, strong market position, solid people, good work environment, company certainly matured in the 10+ years I was there

Cons

Growth strategy particularly beyond semiconductor vague and not well understood by employees; though company has some very strong, loyal employees, employees lack empowerment

Develop a more concise, cohesive strategy then deploy it down into the organization and once deployed, give people the tools and increased degrees of freedom but at same time, hold them accountable

Administration,

Former Employee - Administration in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Administration in Boston, MA

I worked at MKS Instruments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have experience administration with MKS over 3 years.

Cons

Work with MKS beside the administration I have learn and got a lot of experience by my supervisor have teach me.

Yes I would like to advice to management.

Outstanding company and colleges.

I worked at MKS Instruments

Pros

Great company, colleagues and benefits.

Cons

None that I can think of today.

Dont change a thing.

It was a good place to work overall

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at MKS Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and open to questions

Cons

Team seem to have intra-company conflicts with its branches on different cities. Lots of blame game.
    Not a very challenging job

Y'all doing a great job

Good while it lasted until downturn

Former Employee - Production Tech III
    Former Employee - Production Tech III

I worked at MKS Instruments full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good facility and friendly people

Cons

Promoted people from within to fill management positions with no training or experience. Managed poorly and played favorites.

Watch me grow!

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service in San Jose, CA

I have been working at MKS Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Face paced environment that make a day just fly on by.

Cons

Top heavy with all sorts of managers that like to spend the day in meetings.

Awesome company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at MKS Instruments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work like a family

Cons

Manager and Upper Management need to share more info from the top and explain why they are restructuring the company. Also explain the benefits for changes and goals.

Keep sharing info with employees and keep them well informed about the structure of the company

Stable company but very risk averse; beware career stagnation and business stovepipes

I have been working at MKS Instruments full-time

Pros

+ Stable company - almost a job for life (though in same role...)
    + Low pressure, low key
    + Good work/life balance
    + Some nice and smart people to work with. Generally good people overall.
    + Management and even senior management can be personally thoughtful while still goal-driven, which is a pleasant surprise at a large company.
    + Generally good benefits

Cons

- Only really focused on semiconductor industry
    - Very risk averse; it's easier to say no than try something out
    - Corporate goals are not communicated nor translated to divisional goals
    - Company will spend little money to upgrade infrastructure, IT, or tools. It is very disappointing to use outdated or inadequate tools and technologies in 2013, and to have worn-out fixtures in tired buildings.
    - Little/no cross-business unit or cross-functional initiatives or contact. Meeting anyone outside your business unit is very rare, let alone developing professional and personal relationships among peers, especially those outside the Boston area.
    - Little career direction or training.
    - Extremely tight with any spending - "penny wise and pound foolish" and it reflects in disheartened employees (see also lack of job tools/training corporate culture and employee recognition)
    - Individual fiefdoms are allowed to the detriment of new ideas and opportunities

1. The company needs a revolutionary vision and execution to avoid being too complacent. Please seek out new ideas and new blood, and support these people beyond just words. Weed out the chaff.
    2. Please communicate your vision with the employees and provide opportunities for corporate-wide or cross-divisional teams and initiatives. We are working in stovepipes and have little knowledge of what one group or the other is doing and where corporate is going.
    3. Please look to providing your employees with adequate training and updated technology - or even access to data - to do our jobs.
    4. Finally, please spend some time and effort on creating a corporate culture. It is disappointing to come in to work and leave without knowing what we are striving towards and are a part of.

Stable technology company with no debt and educated, mostly high achieving staff

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at MKS Instruments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

MKS sells mostly to the semiconductor manufacturing equipment segment, so they are heavily involved in technology. However, very little of it is software-based; most of it (today) is hardware. Workforce is highly educated, mostly honest and high achievement pros, and management has done a good job in minimizing layoffs when the industry nosedives. Excellent salaries and benefits.

Cons

Infrastructure in facilities and IT is way behind the market leaders, and training for anything doesn't exist (and is never approved in budgets). Company is also very centrally managed - VPs have to approve every expense over $10K, and there are a lot of those in a $1B company. Very little socializing between employees, so if you expect lots of after-work social events, this isn't a company where you would want to work. Last, promotions don't exist until you have been with the company a minimum of 10 years - very few opportunities for career development in any department.

Use some of your cash hoard to upgrade buildings and the IT infrastructure, and then train all employees on using it properly. You might be surprised at how much your employees' productivity improves when they have software and hardware that is efficient and up to date.

Great company, but...

Former Employee - Assembler in Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Assembler in Andover, MA

I worked at MKS Instruments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They higher great people and are easy to work for not a lot of stress in manufacturing.

Cons

The pay is horrible for this day and age, also they send our jobs other countries, thus why I am laid off.

Keep our jobs here!!!!