MLC

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Senior Underwriter

Senior Underwriter (Current Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsFlexible working conditions, working from home option, monthly ADO, really good managers, there was a lot of restructuring last year and staff were worried about their job security but this is all sorted out and there is a really positive culture now, brand new NAB building must be the best venue to work in the world!

ConsWell below market pay is a common complaint and there is not much concern from management to address this, also MLC does not have a built in automatic annual CPI increase as other companies do therefore I lose 3% of my salary every year.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more.

NAB just doesn't get it ...

Head of Finance (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsWas a fantastic culture many years ago
    Good work life balance
    Great People

ConsDealing with NAB Melbourne who don't understand the business
    Poor strategic calls

Accountant

ProsGreat company values. Unfortunately few people live up to values.

ConsRole was too routine and little scope for growth and development.
    New ideas were treated as a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementLive the values you preach.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Reasonable remuneration however the culture was dull and slow (from a technology perspective anyhow).

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsGood location in North Sydney.
    Reasonable pay, no expectation of working out of hours

ConsSlow moving in terms of technology
    Lots of has-been's who are stale and not contributing

Advice to Senior ManagementMove forward and trailblaze from a technology perspective

Great place to work

Customer Service (Current Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsGood atmosphere and management. Lot of flexibility and work life balance at call centre, including RDOs. Lots os coaching, which is typical at call centers. Induction is also good and fun. They are not too old school, they are modern and have an open culture.

ConsHad to be stuck there for 1.5 years before being allowed for internal promotions or other roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the close knit team atmosphere. Get rid of the 1.5year rule.

Big Corporate but caring culture

Prosbanking and financial benefits are good.

ConsBig corporate that sometimes feels disconnected from reality in its goals.

So far so good

Senior AP (Current Employee) North Sydney (Australia)

ProsCompany offers work life balance

ConsCareer opportunities are not great

Advice to Senior ManagementThey know it better

OK

Senior AP (Former Employee) North Sydney (Australia)

ProsGood brand name. Although not great but the contractor rates are fair. Not so fair permanent packages. Some people are very good to work with.

ConsToo much politics and the level of politics is too cheap. Hint of groupism among colleagues from same ethnic background. Some people lack respect towards peers. Work culture is not global, industry standards are not encouraged especially when it comes to technology. Some highly inefficient and obsolete processes are still followed and most likely would continue in the future. No hope or opportunity for using new or advanced technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair rather than prejudiced. Make decisions based on talent, efficiency and results rather than cheap talk. Don't encourage politics at workplace. Encourage and give due respect to subordinates.

Overall good, though I was there during the GFC

Project Manager (Former Employee) North Sydney (Australia)

ProsGood work life balance
    Interesting work and ability to work on a variety of projects
    Good professional people
    Management was competent for the most part

ConsSalary review process was poor in that MLC people were reviewed with nab people and you were bell curved in a large group by managers who did not know your work.
    Full time PMs did not have much over contractors. Permanent PMs were given 2-3 months to find a new project (there was no bench) and then they were retrenched. If you can, become a contractor, then you will earn more money.
    Slow moving but they are a large company.
    They are outsourcing more of the back office to India.
    If you are in IT be a little wary because ultimately the senior management wants to outsource all of IT. They could if they would.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing much to say, I think they are reasonably well run for a large bank. I would focus on the strategy, correctly answering what should the bank look like in 10-15 years to be successful is critical.

Good financial packages, great super, good bonus, information hoarders, limited career progression

Data Analyst (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsGood philosophy
    Excellent foresight in the financial advice industry
    Always developing new financial packages

ConsInformation hoarders.
    Difficult to progress
    People leaders are a mixed bag.

Worked for MLC? Contribute to the Community!