MNI Targeted Media

Updated September 13, 2014
Updated September 13, 2014
1.7

Rob Reif

Bad times outweigh the good

I worked at MNI Targeted Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get a crash course in digital media and are given a lot of responsibility. There are a lot of big-name clients, so the work is good. At other networks/publishers, many people aren’t completing a fraction of what you do in a day, so you do get strong industry experience. The good times are good. The company has a work hard/play hard culture, and your co-workers become your friends.

Cons

The turnover is high for a reason: the bad times are very bad. And if it’s a good time, then it’s only a matter of time before it’s a bad time again. It’s a revolving door, so the group is often understaffed, relying on undertrained employees (either just out of college or new, and just not bothering to train them much). Management is very exclusive and out of touch with the work their employees do. If you’re on their bad side at some point or another (i.e. you’re openly not ecstatic about drowning in work), they will not have anything helpful to bring to the table. They will really just become kind of catty and not speak to you much anymore. It’s sad because it could be a great place to work, but no one wants to go back to high school.

Don’t continuously break your best employees down. They will stop respecting you. If you haven’t noticed the pattern, that’s why they all eventually leave.

Worse place to work EVER. Toxic environment. Poor management.

I have been working at MNI Targeted Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relatively good compensation and reasonable benefits.
    Nice people below upper management.

Cons

Upper management is atrocious. Micromanagement is the rule. Managers bully their employees left and right. Yelling and intimidating employees is the norm. Unethical approach to sales. The corporate culture is sick. It feels more like a cult, rather than a corporation.

Respect the people that work for you. They're smart people. No need to treat them like mentally challenged slaves.

Looks can be deceiving.

I have been working at MNI Targeted Media

Pros

Initially seems like a decent company to work for. Upper management are very welcoming. Also, Time Inc looks great on your resume.

Cons

But then you get to see the local favoritism. It's very cliquish and a serious lack of accountability. The work after 5:30 didn't bother me much, as it was expected. But the lack of respect and accountability is like a 4th stage cancer.

Take a good look at the inner workings of various locations. High turnover rate isn't without reason. Sometimes people won't fit the bill. But when several strangers leave the same position in under a year and a half, evidently there's something vile in the office. Stress the importance of accountability, good management skills, fairness, and respect for fellow employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Depends on the department

I worked at MNI Targeted Media full-time

Pros

There are some amazing Managers and great people to work with in certain departments.

Cons

If they like you, you're golden. If you are not well liked or question anything, Management will make your life extremely difficult. Clicky Management as well as favoring employees and promotions for the same employees every year is very frustrating. Management in certain departments can be immature and unprofessional. It is very hard to be recognized unless your in with the right group of people. Poor leadership and accountability are very apparent.

Some people are way too young and immature to handle their employees. The more seasoned managers were professional and helpful. Young managers were catty and were hard to take seriously.

Great Company! I love it here

Current Employee - Digital Advertising Operations  in  Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Digital Advertising Operations in Stamford, CT

I have been working at MNI Targeted Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people - Work Hard, Play Hard Environment - Fun events

I have only been here for 1.5 years and I have been promoted already to a great position that challenges me and is improving my skills daily. The management team is great and everyone is very friendly and easy to work with in the Stamford office. There are so many new products that MNI offers and the company is constantly growing digital opportunities for our clients!

Cons

Like all digital advertising companies- you will have to work past 5:30 pm when you are busy.

Honestly, the worst place I ever worked for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at MNI Targeted Media full-time

Pros

Mostly a young group so you can make some friends. I liked my colleagues. A lot of networking within the industry and a chance to meet some great people at other companies (for when you inevitably want to leave). The higher ups are very nice, albeit a bit naive to what is going on below them. Probably a good job for someone right out of college and just wants to make some sort of decent salary.

Cons

Middle management is atrocious. They are clicky and teach you nothing. One person was hired during one of the busiest campaign seasons and they just threw her into the fire without any training. They lie to their clients and expect you to do the same. They walk out of the office at 5pm while you are there until 9pm doing work and then when work isn't getting done due to being understaffed, they slap you on the wrist. They gossip about other employees behind their backs like it is high school. There is a revolving door between employees leaving, getting fired, coming back out of the blue, etc. Promotions only to the "favorites" regardless of who is actually putting in more effort. You have to take what a former employee says with a grain of salt, but trust me, I've loved every other company I have worked for.

There is no advice to give them. None of them should have managerial responsibility and within the industry, no one takes them seriously.

Horrible company to work for!!!

Former Employee - Media  in  Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Media in Stamford, CT

I worked at MNI Targeted Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay for your lunch..... but than take it out of your paycheck

Cons

Stamford, CT location all employees are is very clicky. The company provide minimum to no training. Almost every Manager has quit the company and for the reason of not finding anything worth while. came back to work for such a horrible company. If doesn't work out, the company lies about what actually happened. Only because of being affiliates of TIme Inc.did this company succeed this far.

Do not lie to get ahead.

Worked for MNI Targeted Media? Contribute to the Community!