MOCON

MOCON Reviews

Updated Apr 3, 2014

MOCON Chairman, President, and CEO Robert L. Demorest

Robert L. Demorest

A family like culture with great prospects - world leader plans to stay on top

Brooklyn Park, MN

I have been working at MOCON full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people are great, even the executive team is approachable. Seeing some smart and much needed internal changes which makes me feel very positive about MOCON's future.
Serious longevity here as well(40, 30 -25 yrs)- people like to stick around for a reason.

ConsSometimes the longevity creates change resistance and a sense of entitlement.

Advice to Senior ManagementShore up your management team and listen to those with prior manufacturing experience. Time to take of the "MOCON blinders" a bit more to expedite some efficiencies.

I approve of CEO. Likable CEO, sadly doesn't really know who's leading so e of his divisions

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at MOCON full-time for more than a year

ProsGot the right ideas and strong financials to support company

ConsOutdated and fearful team leaders (either too old to try it or too inexperienced) that don't want to explore market opportunities in order to fit into boys club right away and keep job or no interference with their retirement plan. Go for the easiest and less painful route, no risk whatsoever!

Advice to Senior ManagementOut of hundreds of employees, you have one Oriental, one African American, one Latino, one "Russian". And most important jobs held by men, white men. It's 2014. Even if discharge of an employee, allow for an exit interview - so you don't expose these suggestions to the world. You have the right intentions, but have to look under table more often and most, please, spend time with your customer. You'll learn so much more!

Used, mocked and lied to......

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MOCON full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA paycheck, gain some experience, make a few friends.

ConsMy mother always told me that if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all. Its a tough company and management takes pride in being tough. They mistaken tough for brutality.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are the kings with no cloths. Get off your high horses and put some cloths on. Start with a outfit of humility and a bit of compassion if you can stomach it.

Public Company Run Like Family Business

Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at MOCON full-time for less than a year

ProsCompany is financially stable and is growing.

ConsCustomers think company is arrogant and products over priced. Executives earn way more than employees and act like royalty. Executives tend to hire insiders. Extremely political place to work. Very poor leadership.

Managers and employees often skipped over for positions. Company offers no career plan.

Benefits fair but very expensive. Basically dead end place to work. Turnover of good employees is constant.

Attitude, morale and motivation of current employees is very low. Pay much better for new hires than for employees who stay with company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoose the arrogant attitudes and stereotypes, keep your promises, hire qualified leaders, promote from within, respect experience, and better reward your employees especially those who have stuck with the company.

Employed at Wil

Anonymous Until I Find A Job (Current Employee)

I have been working at MOCON full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Product. Good team under management level.

ConsArrogant to customers. Get used to disappointing customers for things you cannot control. Good employees are let go with no notice and invalid reasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementI fear HR’s witch-hunt methodology and will be leaving once I find a real job.

Micro-management with cigar smoke included.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Brooklyn Park, MN

I worked at MOCON full-time for more than a year

ProsGood overall benifit packages. Good location in relation to access to freeways/commute. Growth industry. New Technolgies and R and D.

ConsSilo mentality of other departments, getting help that isn't patronising, very specialised products that no one has really spent the right amount of time to design. Documentation, products, manufacturing is basically "getto rigging" and hot wiring to get it done so you have to spend considerable time trying to figure out why in the hell they did it that way back in the 50s. The pay blows for the job assigned. NO COOPERATION.

Human Resources has "Hall Monitor" syndrom.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop reminding people your a genius and listen more.

Worked for MOCON? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MOCON reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MOCON CEO Robert L. Demorest. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by MOCON employees.