MPI Research

Updated October 26, 2014
2.5

MPI Research CEO William Parfet
William Parfet

Good place to work, the hours were great and the pay was within industry standards. I would recommend them to others.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mattawan, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mattawan, MI

I worked at MPI Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really liked the job. The work was interesting and I learned a lot. The industry is important to healthcare research, and most employees are there trying to do a great job.

Cons

Upper management does not have any idea what they are asking employees to do. This is a high stress position and the rewards are limited. Direct management plays favorites which is very discouraging for the moral of the departments.

Limited opportunities to advance, they have really good benefits and time off is adequate, in fact it is fairly generous compared to most places.

Excellent people but demanding work.

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Mattawan, MI
    Former Employee - Research Associate II in Mattawan, MI

I worked at MPI Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent people, social atmosphere, great learning opportunity. Great vacation and decent health benefits.

Cons

Work life balance can get extremely skewed toward the work side. The industry is difficult to predict and workload fluctuates wildly with hiring often lagging way behind. Can be blacklisted for other opportunities within the company if you are good at your job and your department wants to keep you. Pay is barely competetive and was the main reason for leaving. Often went several years without a raise, and shown "hypothetical raises" that we never even got. Intense allergen exposure, and job could be dangerous and extremely physical unless you work in the office setting.

Far from perfect, better than nothing.

Current Employee - Research Associate in Mattawan, MI
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Mattawan, MI

I have been working at MPI Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are lots of training opportunities. Usually if you hate your job after a year you can transfer to a new department. PTO is okay. Generally the people are very nice.

Cons

Don't expect to be rewarded for doing well or taking on more responsibility. Promotions and raises are rare. Leadership is constantly changing at all levels. Turnover due to lack of career advancement is hurting the company.

Learn from the past and reward people for good work.

Some departments are better than others!

Former Employee - Research Technician I in Mattawan, MI
    Former Employee - Research Technician I in Mattawan, MI

I worked at MPI Research full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great health benefits, 401K, PTO. Everyone is dedicated to contributing to research and maintaining animal welfare.

Cons

Certain departments are held to different standards and put pressure on staff to work at production level dosing speeds. Time is money but also results in a lot of departmental turnover.

Management should be revised to make sure everyone is on the same page and following the same consistent "rule book".

I'm new but so far so good

I have been working at MPI Research

Pros

Lots of overtime if wanted, paid holidays, friendly staff.

Cons

Haven't discovered yet. Hoping I won't end up doing so.

None so far.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Coordinator in Mattawan, MI
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Mattawan, MI

I have been working at MPI Research full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fabulous co-workers and management. It is great to work with so many people who are dedicated and passionate about their job. And management does a great job encouraging growth and development and working with you one-on-one to develop career goals.

Cons

The company has been extremely cautious in their spending the past few years and this can have a detrimental effect on employee morale and necessary technology.

Horrible Management

Former Employee - Research Associate I in Mattawan, MI
    Former Employee - Research Associate I in Mattawan, MI

I worked at MPI Research full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful people to work with and it gave me hands on experience immediately following college. Good benfits and PTO.

Cons

Management doesn't know how to run things without making their employees mad. No praise for good work and constant write ups for every little thing you make a mistake on. No room for movement. Everyone is unhappy and miserable on a daily basis. Overworked and underpayed--pay is immensely lower than similar jobs within the field. You never knew when something was going to get delayed, changed, or added at the last minute, so it was impossible to make plans outside of work.

A decent company to work for.

Current Employee - Automation Specialist in Mattawan, MI
    Current Employee - Automation Specialist in Mattawan, MI

I have been working at MPI Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy and laid back environment. The benefits are really good for a company of this size. Promotions are usually merit based and justified.

Cons

Low pay for your skills. Leadership takes forever to make good decisions. No raises in the last 3 years. Their love of committees to slove issues hurts them because it can take a year before any changes.

Dead end job

Current Employee - Research Associate II in Mattawan, MI
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Mattawan, MI

I have been working at MPI Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A research job that is not a contract position. This job includes good benefits.

Cons

There is no growth, no performance based raises, no rewards program. Hard to find motivation to go above and beyond. Management known for knee-jerk reaction based decision making.

Starter Job

I worked at MPI Research

Pros

Decent benefits and PTO, no experience needed to get hired

Cons

unprofessional, no room for growth, poor pay

Give people incentive to stay unless you want to keep paying to train new people and have inexperienced technicians running studies