MPI Research

Updated February 22, 2015
2.5

MPI Research CEO William Parfet
William Parfet

Pros
  • Decent benefits and PTO, no experience needed to get hired (in 6 reviews)

• Lots of departments, so a great place to get experience in a number of science fields (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Old style upper management is unaware of who their employees are and this has resulted in low moral (in 6 reviews)

• There is absolutely no way to move up or get a promotion (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

People care about their work

I have been working at MPI Research (more than 3 years)

Pros

Owner and senior leadership care about employees and give them the option to advance career

Cons

Were hurt by the economic downturn, just like everybody else

Keep doing what you are doing, the tide will turn!

If you're in the right department, a great place to work.

I worked at MPI Research

Pros

Training is available to those who seek it. While with MPI I expanded not only my skills in the lab, but attended courses on leadership, problem solving, Lean Six Sigma, etc. HR is amazing to deal with, the facility is enormous and mostly well maintained. Pay was good- but you do have to push for that raise.

Cons

Scheduling is an issue. Some weeks we worked from 5 am to midnight, 80 hours a week, and some weeks we were so slow we had to take on extra projects just to make 40.
    Layoffs are scary. In my time with MPI, there have been 4 series of layoffs.

Work with the study directors on scheduling. I understand that sponsors push to have it done NOW, but the quality decreases when your in life staff are exhausted and burned out. Bring back the cookouts! Having recreational activities promoted a sense of community that's missing these days.

Great overall internship experience

Former Employee - Biostatisitics Associate I in Mattawan, MI
    Former Employee - Biostatisitics Associate I in Mattawan, MI

I worked at MPI Research

Pros

Learned a lot. Flexible hours

Cons

Not a great work atmosphere. Low pay

Solid company that cares about its employees

Current Employee - IT Professional in Mattawan, MI
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Mattawan, MI

I have been working at MPI Research full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I believe that at the top, there is a genuine understanding that employees are the lifeblood of the company; productivity is a derivative of your people, efficiency... people, quality... people. That anything gets done at all... people. At the top, they honestly get that.

I believe they try to be fair in compensation. If you want to get paid more than you are worth, go somewhere else (the "other" place will soon go bankrupt). But if you want a place that respects hard work and rewards it. This is the place.

Lastly... who doesn't like to win? MPI had a slump during the recession, but we're back! MPI is building a solid foundation, and is a force to reckon with in the pre-clinical CRO space.

Cons

So no place is perfect. You may have noticed I kept saying at the top they get the importance of people. I mean the very top. The owner gets it. There are a couple of those in the ranks below him that don't get that, and are more than a little hard to get along with. Pins and needles. Everyone knows it, yet it is ignored, I think, because they are performers. They get stuff done. A great deal gets tolerated because they are otherwise valuable. Lucky for most, they are so far up the food chain most typically don't have to deal with it.

But enough about that. MPI had some rough times through the recession and some of the frills had to go with it. But I was here in the days when MPI was on a rocket trajectory, and that owner I mentioned takes care of his people... when they are delivering. But, when they aren't delivering? Let's just say we're still in that "tight ship" mode, and we have to run pretty lean. You aren't going to get a ton of "perks" here right now.

My advice to management?

First, there may be some "adjustments" to be made near the top. I don't live up there, so I can't really say, but it feels like that may be the case from down here.

Stay focused on your people. Everything you want to get done, depends on your people. Its simple logic. Don't ignore the fact that the one single thing, that can have the greatest impact towards productivity, quality, and efficiency, is your people. Don't just give it lip service. Preach, train, and practice from the top of the management chain down, that learning how to take care of and motivate people in a positive way is a manager's #1 job.

Solid foundation; there are foundational improvements yet to be made. Sometimes there are pieces of the foundation so convoluted, and bent out of shape, you just have to start over. Don't be shy to re-write some processes, to re-think some things.

But I really don't mean to be negative. Overall, I'm happy with management. I feel that most have the best interest of the company and their people in mind. Keep it up.

One of the best companies I have worked for.

Current Employee - Research Specialist in Mattawan, MI
    Current Employee - Research Specialist in Mattawan, MI

I have been working at MPI Research

Pros

Decent upward mobility if you use your mind and follow the career pathways. Good insurance and benefits. Great coworkers. Good hours and usually the opportunity for overtime.

Cons

Sometimes the overtime is intrusive and unwanted. Upper management doesn't seem to understand the concerns of the lower level workers. Recently the wages are not up to standard.

Speak with and listen to your lowest level people. They can give you some insight. Please work hard to improve public opinion to increase the level of awareness and caring in our company.

Good place to work, the hours were great and the pay was within industry standards. I would recommend them to others.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mattawan, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mattawan, MI

I worked at MPI Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really liked the job. The work was interesting and I learned a lot. The industry is important to healthcare research, and most employees are there trying to do a great job.

Cons

Upper management does not have any idea what they are asking employees to do. This is a high stress position and the rewards are limited. Direct management plays favorites which is very discouraging for the moral of the departments.

Limited opportunities to advance, they have really good benefits and time off is adequate, in fact it is fairly generous compared to most places.

Excellent people but demanding work.

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Mattawan, MI
    Former Employee - Research Associate II in Mattawan, MI

I worked at MPI Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent people, social atmosphere, great learning opportunity. Great vacation and decent health benefits.

Cons

Work life balance can get extremely skewed toward the work side. The industry is difficult to predict and workload fluctuates wildly with hiring often lagging way behind. Can be blacklisted for other opportunities within the company if you are good at your job and your department wants to keep you. Pay is barely competetive and was the main reason for leaving. Often went several years without a raise, and shown "hypothetical raises" that we never even got. Intense allergen exposure, and job could be dangerous and extremely physical unless you work in the office setting.

I'm new but so far so good

I have been working at MPI Research

Pros

Lots of overtime if wanted, paid holidays, friendly staff.

Cons

Haven't discovered yet. Hoping I won't end up doing so.

None so far.

Research Associate

Former Employee - Research Associate I in Mattawan, MI

I worked at MPI Research full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, and wonderful environment for all employees. The surpervisors were very supportive and were very personable. They took the time to listen to you and treated you fairly.

Cons

The training process was slow and limited. This howver was probably due to keeping production schedule.

Keep the QC of your people up to snuff so that you get a great product for your clients.

Company in Major transition constantly difficult place to be

Former Employee - Senior Validation Associate in Mattawan, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Validation Associate in Mattawan, MI

I worked at MPI Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are great people working there. Often times opportunities to advance.

Cons

The recent economic problems have affected them also

calm down the constant change