MPI Research

MPI Research CEO William Parfet

William Parfet

Horrible Management

Research Associate I (Former Employee) Mattawan, MI

ProsWonderful people to work with and it gave me hands on experience immediately following college. Good benfits and PTO.

ConsManagement doesn't know how to run things without making their employees mad. No praise for good work and constant write ups for every little thing you make a mistake on. No room for movement. Everyone is unhappy and miserable on a daily basis. Overworked and underpayed--pay is immensely lower than similar jobs within the field. You never knew when something was going to get delayed, changed, or added at the last minute, so it was impossible to make plans outside of work.

Dead end job

Research Associate II (Current Employee) Mattawan, MI

ProsA research job that is not a contract position. This job includes good benefits.

ConsThere is no growth, no performance based raises, no rewards program. Hard to find motivation to go above and beyond. Management known for knee-jerk reaction based decision making.

Run Away!

Research Associate I (Former Employee)

ProsI can't think of one.

ConsAny job here isn't worth the pain and agony that comes with it. MPI just doesn't care about it's employees and will do anything to save a buck.

There is really no opportunity for advancement and they continue to give hypothetical raises as if they could somehow come up with money for employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Quality assurance

Quality Assurance (Current Employee) Kalamazoo, MI

ProsWork like balance is good. Some of the best people i have worked with work there.

ConsWork with animals, No growth, no pay increase not now and possibly not next year.

Do it for the experience, not for anything else

TMC - Research Associate (Former Employee) Mattawan, MI

ProsExperience, Easy to get hired, a fast and easy way to get your foot in the door after you graduate college

ConsPay, Management, they hire people with degrees of lesser value than your own to do the very same job, and pretty much everything else you can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementCompletely clean house and start over

Time to close up shop

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent health benefits.
    Soda pop in the vending machine is reasonably priced.

ConsManagement is clueless. Career advancement is non-existent. Working here is a waste of time. Save yourself the headache and get a real job; anywhere else is better then MPI. Hard work is not rewarded, it results in more work expected of you for the same pay while a lazy co-worker gets promoted because he/she is a friend of upper management. Then they fire the good workers and keep the inept ones. I left of my own free will, and it was the best decision I've ever made!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou succeeded in the late 90's and early 2000's because you fell backward into a niche market. You've been treading water ever since. You tried to run a CRO, you failed. The dead horse has been beaten long enough. Let your "scientific" employees return to the retail businesses from which they were hired.

Low pay, revolving door of employment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mattawan, MI

ProsBenefits are OK, some nice perks for employees such as learning classes and speakers brought in.

ConsUnfriendly environment, team work and inclusion are not expected, or encouraged, even from management. President abruptly left after only 18 months and was replaced with owners brother. The company seems to have no idea how to look ahead and forecast, I was hired as a permanent employee, then my position was eliminated 6 months later because business is going downhill.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the nepotism, entire families working there is not a good business decision. The owner needs to be more involved, and bringing in a whole new HR department would help. The big brother attitude also can be stifling. No career opportunities loses good employees.

Abominable

Research Associate I (Former Employee)

Pros- Decent benefits package
    - Adequate pay (though if you have a 4 year degree you could have saved 2 years and tuition by getting paid more with a 2 year certificate in another line of work)
    - Low level colleagues are fun to work with
    - Above average vacation time

Cons- Cost of benefits rose
    - Pay is lower than you would think and raises were difficult to come by in terms of real $ (raises were given in reviews but not in your paycheck due to cost cutting)
    - Vacation time was above average but many needed to use their vacation to get 40 hours in their paycheck when business fell off a cliff. Vacation time was being burned so fast less than 40 hours were allowed to keep benefits. Choose one: Less money, No Benefits, or Use Your Vacation Up (w/o an actual vacation)
    - Senior leadership is beyond sneaky when it comes to layoffs, terminations, "interviews"...
    - Unwanted employees that couldn't be fired were given the "interview shuffle". That's where the employee's department didn't want them so MPI graciously gave them 30 days to "find" a new position. The lucky ones interview and find a job with a department that hasn't heard of the "problem" employee. The unlucky ones are just shuffled around for a month and then "let go". PRO TIP: If you are the oblivious employee given 30 days to find a job or get out, just get out.
    - Management spends an inordinate amount of time gossiping, tattling, and looking for reasons to fire their employees. At least the ones they don't like.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck out social networking sites. Review the current employers of people that MPI Research found reasons to fire. People that now work for Pfizer, Covance, Charles River, Merck, Abbott, etc.

Now either all the employees you've terminated, and all the successful companies that hired them, are complete fools, or...

Get in, get experience, and then get paid better somewhere else

ProsThe amount of paid days off is very nice. You start with 3.5 weeks off plus holidays. After 5 years you gain an extra week. Then another day each year after 5 years.

ConsThere is absolutely no way to move up or get a promotion. They are rebounding from a very rough 2008 where they fired people in 3-4 waves. If you don't get the money you want when you are hired in, don't count on EVER getting it. They are fairly sneaky with details on how the company is performing and when layoffs may be coming.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees a chance to earn incentives. There is no reward for hard work. The performance reviews are laughed at behind closed doors because they do not relate to your ability to climb a ladder or earn additional pay. Continuing on this track will just breed mediocrity because someone that skates by doing the minimum is going to get the same thing as someone who works above and beyond expectations. If/when layoffs occur, it would be beneficial for the managers who work directly with the employees to have a say in who stays and who goes.

Decent experience; use it as a stepping stone to something better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Benefits are pretty good
    -Most people are open-minded
    -Great place to get some industry experience
    -Willing to train those with little to no experience

Cons-Upper management has absolutely no clear direction on where they want the company to go
    -Extremely reactionary
    -Don't know how to recognize talent and use it in the best way possible
    -Nepotism
    -Much more concerned with meeting unattainable goals than making sure employees are taken care of
    -Departmental favoritism

Advice to Senior ManagementClear out the current senior leadership and start over with new people, fresh ideas, attainable goals, and a corporate direction that employees can follow. Also, actions speak a whole lot louder than words!

Worked for MPI Research? Contribute to the Community!