MPI Research

William Parfet

Horrible Management

Former Employee - Research Associate I  in  Mattawan, MI
    Former Employee - Research Associate I in Mattawan, MI

I worked at MPI Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful people to work with and it gave me hands on experience immediately following college. Good benfits and PTO.

Cons

Management doesn't know how to run things without making their employees mad. No praise for good work and constant write ups for every little thing you make a mistake on. No room for movement. Everyone is unhappy and miserable on a daily basis. Overworked and underpayed--pay is immensely lower than similar jobs within the field. You never knew when something was going to get delayed, changed, or added at the last minute, so it was impossible to make plans outside of work.

Dead end job

Current Employee - Research Associate II  in  Mattawan, MI
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Mattawan, MI

I have been working at MPI Research full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A research job that is not a contract position. This job includes good benefits.

Cons

There is no growth, no performance based raises, no rewards program. Hard to find motivation to go above and beyond. Management known for knee-jerk reaction based decision making.

Run Away!

I worked at MPI Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I can't think of one.

Cons

Any job here isn't worth the pain and agony that comes with it. MPI just doesn't care about it's employees and will do anything to save a buck.

There is really no opportunity for advancement and they continue to give hypothetical raises as if they could somehow come up with money for employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Quality assurance

Current Employee - Quality Assurance  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at MPI Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work like balance is good. Some of the best people i have worked with work there.

Cons

Work with animals, No growth, no pay increase not now and possibly not next year.

Do it for the experience, not for anything else

Former Employee - TMC - Research Associate  in  Mattawan, MI
    Former Employee - TMC - Research Associate in Mattawan, MI

I worked at MPI Research full-time for less than a year

Pros

Experience, Easy to get hired, a fast and easy way to get your foot in the door after you graduate college

Cons

Pay, Management, they hire people with degrees of lesser value than your own to do the very same job, and pretty much everything else you can think of

Completely clean house and start over

Time to close up shop

I worked at MPI Research full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent health benefits.
    Soda pop in the vending machine is reasonably priced.

Cons

Management is clueless. Career advancement is non-existent. Working here is a waste of time. Save yourself the headache and get a real job; anywhere else is better then MPI. Hard work is not rewarded, it results in more work expected of you for the same pay while a lazy co-worker gets promoted because he/she is a friend of upper management. Then they fire the good workers and keep the inept ones. I left of my own free will, and it was the best decision I've ever made!

You succeeded in the late 90's and early 2000's because you fell backward into a niche market. You've been treading water ever since. You tried to run a CRO, you failed. The dead horse has been beaten long enough. Let your "scientific" employees return to the retail businesses from which they were hired.

Low pay, revolving door of employment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mattawan, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mattawan, MI

I worked at MPI Research full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are OK, some nice perks for employees such as learning classes and speakers brought in.

Cons

Unfriendly environment, team work and inclusion are not expected, or encouraged, even from management. President abruptly left after only 18 months and was replaced with owners brother. The company seems to have no idea how to look ahead and forecast, I was hired as a permanent employee, then my position was eliminated 6 months later because business is going downhill.

Stop with the nepotism, entire families working there is not a good business decision. The owner needs to be more involved, and bringing in a whole new HR department would help. The big brother attitude also can be stifling. No career opportunities loses good employees.

Abominable

I worked at MPI Research

Pros

- Decent benefits package
    - Adequate pay (though if you have a 4 year degree you could have saved 2 years and tuition by getting paid more with a 2 year certificate in another line of work)
    - Low level colleagues are fun to work with
    - Above average vacation time

Cons

- Cost of benefits rose
    - Pay is lower than you would think and raises were difficult to come by in terms of real $ (raises were given in reviews but not in your paycheck due to cost cutting)
    - Vacation time was above average but many needed to use their vacation to get 40 hours in their paycheck when business fell off a cliff. Vacation time was being burned so fast less than 40 hours were allowed to keep benefits. Choose one: Less money, No Benefits, or Use Your Vacation Up (w/o an actual vacation)
    - Senior leadership is beyond sneaky when it comes to layoffs, terminations, "interviews"...
    - Unwanted employees that couldn't be fired were given the "interview shuffle". That's where the employee's department didn't want them so MPI graciously gave them 30 days to "find" a new position. The lucky ones interview and find a job with a department that hasn't heard of the "problem" employee. The unlucky ones are just shuffled around for a month and then "let go". PRO TIP: If you are the oblivious employee given 30 days to find a job or get out, just get out.
    - Management spends an inordinate amount of time gossiping, tattling, and looking for reasons to fire their employees. At least the ones they don't like.

Check out social networking sites. Review the current employers of people that MPI Research found reasons to fire. People that now work for Pfizer, Covance, Charles River, Merck, Abbott, etc.

Now either all the employees you've terminated, and all the successful companies that hired them, are complete fools, or...

Get in, get experience, and then get paid better somewhere else

I have been working at MPI Research

Pros

The amount of paid days off is very nice. You start with 3.5 weeks off plus holidays. After 5 years you gain an extra week. Then another day each year after 5 years.

Cons

There is absolutely no way to move up or get a promotion. They are rebounding from a very rough 2008 where they fired people in 3-4 waves. If you don't get the money you want when you are hired in, don't count on EVER getting it. They are fairly sneaky with details on how the company is performing and when layoffs may be coming.

Give employees a chance to earn incentives. There is no reward for hard work. The performance reviews are laughed at behind closed doors because they do not relate to your ability to climb a ladder or earn additional pay. Continuing on this track will just breed mediocrity because someone that skates by doing the minimum is going to get the same thing as someone who works above and beyond expectations. If/when layoffs occur, it would be beneficial for the managers who work directly with the employees to have a say in who stays and who goes.

Decent experience; use it as a stepping stone to something better

I worked at MPI Research

Pros

-Benefits are pretty good
    -Most people are open-minded
    -Great place to get some industry experience
    -Willing to train those with little to no experience

Cons

-Upper management has absolutely no clear direction on where they want the company to go
    -Extremely reactionary
    -Don't know how to recognize talent and use it in the best way possible
    -Nepotism
    -Much more concerned with meeting unattainable goals than making sure employees are taken care of
    -Departmental favoritism

Clear out the current senior leadership and start over with new people, fresh ideas, attainable goals, and a corporate direction that employees can follow. Also, actions speak a whole lot louder than words!

Worked for MPI Research? Contribute to the Community!