MPI Research

Updated January 20, 2015
2.7

MPI Research CEO William Parfet
William Parfet

Do not care about their employees

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at MPI Research full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good amount of training opportunities, lots of cross-training. Co-workers are friendly and helpful.

Cons

Do not appreciate their employees; very difficult to get/give promotions or raises. Upper management does not communicate well. Occasionally, highly unprofessional decisions are made that affect both staff and Sponsors with little to no explanation.

Address rumors/questions up front. Don't claim to hold communication as an important factor when that is clearly not the case. Be more transparent about decisions that impact employees and Sponsors.

Going to the well one more time.

Current Employee - Research Associate I in Mattawan, MI
    Current Employee - Research Associate I in Mattawan, MI

I have been working at MPI Research

Pros

The relationships that have been forged through these hard financial times are friends I will have for the rest of my life.

Cons

At the height of the financial crisis, as employees we were asked to take 40 hours (sorry, Told) to take 40 hours unpaid leave to "help" the company through this difficult time. We were assured that as the company recovered we would be rewarded for our sacrifice and our loyalty. Well, here it is 7 years later and 2014 was one of the best year's in our resent history. How has MPI repaid us? Since 2008 my reviews have been A+. What does that translate into payback for sacrifice? I have received 2.0% increase over these 6 years. That's not a 2% bump every year... That's 2% over the entire 6! With cost of live on the rise at a pace that is well over 5% a year, I am 28% behind the "Normal" working class over this period. At our most recent Departmental meeting The topic was how well we have streamlined our process, stayed under budget and have made the company Money in 2014. What does that mean for the worker? They are taking away the only way anyone can get ahead financially. They are cutting overtime by 68%! However, employee retention and attracting top prospects are at the top of MPI's list.

When I came to this company just before the bottom fell out. You couldn't pay anyone to say a negative word about MPI. My advice is to stop saying your going to help us and get back to who we were. Look at you're compensation structure and how it compares to the industry. You will never attract or keep top prospects if you don't reward hard work and loyalty. People who work here have family's. Our children have gone without for too long. The decision to put gas in the car or buy food shouldn't have to cross the minds of skilled dedicated employees who have put in their time away from family only to be looked at as "you should feel lucky you have a job". How much profit does it take to give back Mr. Parfet? What is that Number?

A Great Place To Start

I have been working at MPI Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Overall the company is a great place to start your career or gain experience. The people are friendly and helpful, and willing to share their knowledge. It is also fairly easy to transfer within the company to find a position that suits you, if your initial position isn’t the right fit. The various jobs can be quite demanding with long hours, but your co-workers can make the time pass quickly. There is also a lot of potential for advancement within each department, and various incentives to further your education.

Cons

Promotions are not always based on experience or qualifications.
    Management has a "I know best" attitude, which can lead to problems when trying to fix issues before they become problems. Also, the company as a whole tends to be more reactive than preventive when it comes to problems: meaning they would rather wait till something becomes a problem than fix it before it does.
    Management is not concerned with retention of its employees, nor do they value their experienced staff like they should. Along those lines, it also seems (and this is just my opinion) that management no longer genuinely cares about their employees, as they once did, and now only fains caring for the sake of a good corporate image for its sponsors.
    The rate of pay varies greatly between departments and is not always reflective of the work being done.
    The long hours can take their toll on your social/family life, especially if you have children.

Invest in your employees. Keeping experience within the company is good for the company. Examine the departments with high turn-over and figure out ways to fix it rather than just accepting it as a fact. Also, focus on promoting from within the company rather than bringing in new people who have to be brought up to speed on how things work.

After 6 years, there little room for growth

Current Employee - Senior Report Coordinator in Mattawan, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Report Coordinator in Mattawan, MI

I have been working at MPI Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

MPI offers great fringe benefits (great medical benefits, lots of vacation time, flexible hours) which is a huge selling point for the company. There is a very friendly atmosphere amongst the staff. There are plenty of positions available that allow for a work/home balance.

Cons

After struggling through the recession, staff salaries are still very low. There's no link to any merit increase to individual performance (all staff get the same 2% increase) so there's little incentive to do "great" work and no consequence to doing poor work. The company is very silo'd so few departments see the big picture of the work. There's no feel of having a boss who backs you up or fights for you, the computer systems are ever-changing and never working. The training program is extremely lacking

Give your staff the tools and resources they need to do their jobs right. Then get out of the way and let your staff do their jobs. Trust them to do it. Reward the employees who are thriving and discipline the staff who act as dead weight.

It's a great starting point, but management is not always qualified and lacks leadership.

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Mattawan, MI
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Mattawan, MI

I worked at MPI Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The "working class" is full of great people and the benefits are great. laboratory positions are not very flexible for work/life balance but other areas are.

Cons

Most of nanagement was placed due to timing and not necessarily because they were qualified. The company and a lot of departments lacks leadership. The senior/upper management is not engaged and therefor miss out on a lot of opportunities within their staff. Pay is low and usually promotions are based on who you've made friends with. Middle management staff are constantly recycled.

Solid company that cares about its employees

Current Employee - IT Professional in Mattawan, MI
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Mattawan, MI

I have been working at MPI Research full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I believe that at the top, there is a genuine understanding that employees are the lifeblood of the company; productivity is a derivative of your people, efficiency... people, quality... people. That anything gets done at all... people. At the top, they honestly get that.

I believe they try to be fair in compensation. If you want to get paid more than you are worth, go somewhere else (the "other" place will soon go bankrupt). But if you want a place that respects hard work and rewards it. This is the place.

Lastly... who doesn't like to win? MPI had a slump during the recession, but we're back! MPI is building a solid foundation, and is a force to reckon with in the pre-clinical CRO space.

Cons

So no place is perfect. You may have noticed I kept saying at the top they get the importance of people. I mean the very top. The owner gets it. There are a couple of those in the ranks below him that don't get that, and are more than a little hard to get along with. Pins and needles. Everyone knows it, yet it is ignored, I think, because they are performers. They get stuff done. A great deal gets tolerated because they are otherwise valuable. Lucky for most, they are so far up the food chain most typically don't have to deal with it.

But enough about that. MPI had some rough times through the recession and some of the frills had to go with it. But I was here in the days when MPI was on a rocket trajectory, and that owner I mentioned takes care of his people... when they are delivering. But, when they aren't delivering? Let's just say we're still in that "tight ship" mode, and we have to run pretty lean. You aren't going to get a ton of "perks" here right now.

My advice to management?

First, there may be some "adjustments" to be made near the top. I don't live up there, so I can't really say, but it feels like that may be the case from down here.

Stay focused on your people. Everything you want to get done, depends on your people. Its simple logic. Don't ignore the fact that the one single thing, that can have the greatest impact towards productivity, quality, and efficiency, is your people. Don't just give it lip service. Preach, train, and practice from the top of the management chain down, that learning how to take care of and motivate people in a positive way is a manager's #1 job.

Solid foundation; there are foundational improvements yet to be made. Sometimes there are pieces of the foundation so convoluted, and bent out of shape, you just have to start over. Don't be shy to re-write some processes, to re-think some things.

But I really don't mean to be negative. Overall, I'm happy with management. I feel that most have the best interest of the company and their people in mind. Keep it up.

One of the best companies I have worked for.

Current Employee - Research Specialist in Mattawan, MI
    Current Employee - Research Specialist in Mattawan, MI

I have been working at MPI Research

Pros

Decent upward mobility if you use your mind and follow the career pathways. Good insurance and benefits. Great coworkers. Good hours and usually the opportunity for overtime.

Cons

Sometimes the overtime is intrusive and unwanted. Upper management doesn't seem to understand the concerns of the lower level workers. Recently the wages are not up to standard.

Speak with and listen to your lowest level people. They can give you some insight. Please work hard to improve public opinion to increase the level of awareness and caring in our company.

Good place to work, the hours were great and the pay was within industry standards. I would recommend them to others.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mattawan, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mattawan, MI

I worked at MPI Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really liked the job. The work was interesting and I learned a lot. The industry is important to healthcare research, and most employees are there trying to do a great job.

Cons

Upper management does not have any idea what they are asking employees to do. This is a high stress position and the rewards are limited. Direct management plays favorites which is very discouraging for the moral of the departments.

Limited opportunities to advance, they have really good benefits and time off is adequate, in fact it is fairly generous compared to most places.

Excellent people but demanding work.

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Mattawan, MI
    Former Employee - Research Associate II in Mattawan, MI

I worked at MPI Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent people, social atmosphere, great learning opportunity. Great vacation and decent health benefits.

Cons

Work life balance can get extremely skewed toward the work side. The industry is difficult to predict and workload fluctuates wildly with hiring often lagging way behind. Can be blacklisted for other opportunities within the company if you are good at your job and your department wants to keep you. Pay is barely competetive and was the main reason for leaving. Often went several years without a raise, and shown "hypothetical raises" that we never even got. Intense allergen exposure, and job could be dangerous and extremely physical unless you work in the office setting.

Far from perfect, better than nothing.

Current Employee - Research Associate in Mattawan, MI
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Mattawan, MI

I have been working at MPI Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are lots of training opportunities. Usually if you hate your job after a year you can transfer to a new department. PTO is okay. Generally the people are very nice.

Cons

Don't expect to be rewarded for doing well or taking on more responsibility. Promotions and raises are rare. Leadership is constantly changing at all levels. Turnover due to lack of career advancement is hurting the company.

Learn from the past and reward people for good work.