MRA - The Management Association

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Susan Fronk

1. A great place to work!

Current Employee - Non-management Employee in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Non-management Employee in Waukesha, WI

Pros

What I love about MRA is that I have the pleasure of working day to day with some of the brightest, intelligent, most curious, and driven professionals I have ever known. It’s a delight to work somewhere where each day I learn something new, either here at work or outside working with a member company. Having worked at MRA for seven years and I could not disagree more about the prior posts about management. The management team is at all levels approachable and straightforward. The organization’s mission is clearly known and carried out by not only management, but by everyone. If you are considering a career with MRA, I want to say that no organization is perfect – but MRA is as close as I have ever seen in my 20 years of work experience! Sometimes difficult management decisions need to be made, but when that happens it is done with grace and respect. There is a great deal of collaboration in projects, but I have not seen evidence of micromanaging in the ones that I have led.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. MRA is a great employer.

2. Great place, great people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at MRA - The Management Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MRA offers a great working environment with an even better set of co-workers and leaders within the Company. Customer Service is a passion of mine, and MRA places emphasis on working hard for and taking care of their members (customers), above all else. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here and strongly recommend.

Cons

None - I'll list another pro instead - great benefits that kick in quickly.

Advice to Management

None.

3. Great People, Great Experiences

Pros

The employees at MRA are some of the most kind and helpful people I have ever met. Everyone is so hardworking, but is never too busy to take a few minutes to stop and see how you are doing. There have been some negative reviews about the senior management, and I personally do not understand the complaints. I have had the opportunity to interact with most of the senior team, and they have all been incredible, knowledgeable, and friendly. They always give credit where it is due, and are never too shy to praise someone for their work.

Cons

Although it did not happen to me personally, I think the amount of work and stress they place on their employees could be lowered. All employees seemed to be constantly busy and taking work home in addition to their 50+ hours a week. Senior leaders in particular could each use their own admin to help them. They are all extremely talented individuals that I feel are being limited by their obligations to keep up with the constant inflow of emails and papers coming into their laps. From a personal standpoint, the only con I see is that there are not any opportunities for anyone who does not have prior HR experience. Because of this, I feel they are not bringing in enough fresh perspective from recent college grads. Having smaller roles where students can earn that experience would be helpful both to the individuals and to the organization as a whole.

Advice to Management

Believe in your employees - MRA hires the best of the best. Take action where needed, but trust your employees to do their job. Senior team - fight for your admins! You deserve them.

5. great place despite leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at MRA - The Management Association (Less than a year)

Pros

great people. They work hard to hire the best

Cons

Once they hire the best, they are not trusted to do their job. The president's picture is next to the dictionary definition of micromanager.

Advice to Management

You hire good people...let them do their job without questioning every step they make.

6. good

I have been working at MRA - The Management Association full-time

Pros

good working environment with good employees

Cons

none i can think of

We don't practice what we preach

Pros

Peer group, location, classes are practical.

Cons

MRA's leadership style by some of the senior leadership is more of a bullying style. If the executives would attend and learn from the leadership classes, there would be an improvement. However they would need to check their egos at the door and learn. It should be a requirement for all senior leadership to attend and participate in leadership classes.

Advice to Management

Attend classes...learn from the classes...practice the lessons.

leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

Pros

The employee group is amazing and serving members is everyone's goal. There is some flexibility with work schedules in some departments more than others and the pay and benefit packages are fair.

Cons

Employee engagement seemed stronger in certain departments and appeared to be based on the strengths of the department manager, more than on upper management direction. Skilled at advising member companies MRA didn't always practice what they taught.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the employees performing the job and take action with inept individuals in management positions, even if they have tenure. Sincerity and genuine concern can't always be taught. Growing pains in the organization need to be addressed and communicated more clearly. The bottom line should not always be the deciding factor. Sometimes the long term impact should be considered.

The CEO and upper management are a joke. More into "playing CEO" than actually doing anything but talking about inane c

Pros

Peers are great to work with.

Cons

The CEO and top management don't understand how to be real or authentic or how to Lead others effectively. The knowledgeable people on the front lines are never asked how to do things better and when feedback is given they will act like they appreciate it but never follow through. Nor do they respond. You are consistently ignored when you raise real issues. A lot of talking and cheer leading and nothing effective is getting done. It gets really annoying after awhile. Decisions are made in a vacuum with no explanations given while they talk about how well they effectively communicate. People in the organization huddle up and talk about whats really going on because of the lack of honesty from the top.

Advice to Management

Start really listening to people who know their jobs and quit focusing on and espousing corporate values (FACE) when you come across as inauthentic and dishonest.

MRA - The Management Association Response

May 29, 2015 – CEO

MRA encourages employee feedback so we can continue to strengthen our organization. It is unfortunate when someone feels that individuals with management responsibility are not responsive to input or ... More

10. I really like working at MRA

Current Employee - Human Resource Professional in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Human Resource Professional in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at MRA - The Management Association part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really like the variety of work I have, the friendly, knowledgeable co-workers and the opportunity to continuously learn (working with MRA members - aka customers - drives me to stay on top of changes). MRA has options for great work/life balance, you can be in a truly professional role and be less than full-time. MRA is really focused on its members.

Cons

This isn't really a con but something candidates should be aware of, if you're an HR Partner (aka Consultant) you should be comfortable with change as you'll be moving to different assignments from time to time.

Advice to Management

Make sure MRA walks the talk. If you'd tell members to X, Y and Z because it is best practice, MRA should do it too.

Stifling environment that despises true initiative and can't follow a strategic plan.

I worked at MRA - The Management Association full-time

Pros

Friendly, talented staff which expertly supports members' needs.

Cons

Not a place for people who like to follow through on meaningful contributions to the growth of the organization.

Advice to Management

Develop, commit to, and communicate a real strategic direction.

RSS Feed </> Embed