MRC

MRC Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

MRC President Bob Leone

Bob Leone

Energetic company with the feel of a start up

Pros- Growing company where certain individuals can make a real career for themselves. They fast track folk.
    - In sales, service, or the other departments I see people getting promoted al the time. I see the sales folks who have been around 2+ years and they are pretty successful and have learned to maneuver around the systems.
    - I also love the people. It is fun to come to work and it can be a little intense. Basically, my team mates and my boss are an exciting bunch and it's never boring.
    - Since it is a growing company there is always some new project or urgent need and it keeps me on my toes. The new challenges they throw my way keeps it real for me in terms of my development and learning. I also get to work with other teams on projects.
    - There is a clear vision and you know that it is a growth company v. those other ones laying people off or startups that don't know if they will be around in a few months.

Cons- It has some old antiquated systems that really need automation. We need to automate more so that each of us is being utilized to our potential. The company has a start up feel and energy, but now that it is getting bigger, the workload can be overwhelming. Sales reps need helps with administrative tasks, other departments need new systems and processes. The old school systems cause so much miscommunication and a little tension at times between departments. The good thing is that they are working on solutions - just need it to be faster.
    - You have to be tough, this group works hard and can be intense, but also can run you ragged if you let them. The key is to be focused and mentally strong and not take the emotions or yourself too seriously.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is time to make some investments in systems and also administrative support in sales that works with operations. I here a lot of negative comments about the big boss. I can't imagine how these folks would do if they ever worked in the east coast or Chicago. Once you get to know him, he is not so bad - just a driven individual that has good and bad days.

Tone down the comparisons in sales, not every body is motivated by folks getting called when they don't do something or your numbers aren't as good. It is cool if you have a relationship, but in general it doesn't promote positive motivation when someone is having a bad month in sales.

To sum it up, I've worked in other big name companies. I prefer actually liking the place I work at where I get to work with good people to being bored out of my mind in some cubicle in a no culture company which was my last job. Every company has pros and cons.

Jul 21, 2014Director of HR

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a fairly detailed review it shows the effort taken to be thorough. We are also optimistic about the future and looking forward to implementing some ... More

Good experience for first job

ProsGreat overall experience for a career in sales. Reps do every aspect of sale cycle, which future employers love.

ConsLow base pay. Company always seems to find a way to screw reps out of their comission. Also the most expensive in the industry

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make promises you can't keep. Lots of rumors of growth, but it never really happens

Jul 21, 2014Director of HR

I'm sorry that there is a discrepancy between the communication of the compensation plan and the actual commission paid. A way to solve this may be to ensure the comp plans are better explained in ... More

Work hard play hard

Prosthere are tons of young people

Consnot a fun corporate culture, they really expect you to work your butt off.

Jul 21, 2014Director of HR

Thanks for your review, we appreciate your feedback and if you have any suggestion on how to make MRC a more engaging corporate culture, please let us know via our anonymous internal survey through ... More

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worse job I've ever had

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsFreedom to be out in the field, that is it.

ConsYou get beat on as a sales rep. You are held to ridiculously high expectations. The pay is horrible. Bad training. No sales support. Turnover is ridiculous even for people from previous coper sales positions and other sales positions.

May 19, 2014HR Generalist

Thank you for your response. We are sorry to hear your experience wasn’t the best. Working for MRC, we are excited to change and grow as a company, that being said we know there are things that we ... More

MRC needs a wake-up call

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsGood people. The co-workers and people MRC hires, are great. Unfortunately they manage them terribly.

ConsNO resources. You're given a computer and phone on the first day and told to just GO.

GO GO GO 110%. As long as you are peddling fast (regardless of whether there are wheels on the bike) they will be happy.

You make almost no margin on the copiers you sell. "Technology consulting firm specializing in work-flow automation" is a complete joke. You sell copiers- Door to door, in a suit, and get treated like a leper.

Meeting after meeting. Success plans. Attack plans. Goal settings. THE NOISE NEEDS TO STOP.

MRC needs to:

A) Get rid of BOB. The President is old and way out of touch. Copers are NOT the future.

B) Re-imburse premium Linkedin accounts and give the employees the tools to succeed. Pony up, and buy Salesforce. Using 2 CRM's which don't communicate is inefficient and backwards.

C) Stop making fake positive reviews on this site.

D) Figure out contracts. Managing your customers is completely reactionary. You won't get a set list of customers, what they own, where they are at in the contract, etc. The entire process is convoluted and backwards.

E) Re-vamp training.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up. Your turnover has to be around 70%

The employees you keep aren't trying to better themselves. They look for the bi-monthly paycheck and have no care for their career development or the future of the company. If they did, they would have left by now.

Get rid of Bob, spend some money on marketing (OUTSIDE OF SAN DIEGO), Buy some decent sales tools (linked in, salesforce, tout app, etc), CHANGE THE COMPANY CULTURE.

GROW. SHIFT. EVOLVE.

May 19, 2014HR Generalist

We agree that our best asset is our people. They do a great job with the resources they have and truly have a winning approach. We try to continue to invest in them and in our managers so that they ... More

great place to work if your into deceiving customers (if you dont know how mrc will train you)

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsIF YOUR LUCKY YOU WILL GET REIMBURSED FOR OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES

Consyou must do and say what ever it takes to get the customer ,after that customer gets the runaround and on the hook for a contract very disappointing and sad especially when the customer look to you and trust you

Advice to Senior Managementmight want to think about having a special office for "the mid-day sexual misconduct " that was witnessed on more than one occasion in the stairwell , there are people in sales,mgmt, and h.r that need to be fired

May 19, 2014HR Generalist

Thank you for your honest response anonymous, current employee. Feedback, both positive and negative is necessary for individuals, groups, and companies to grow and improve. I would like to respond ... More

Hard to get a word in

Administrative (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsMost managers are amazing people and are always willing to help.
    Get lots of over time.
    Co-workers are a blessing to work with.
    If you are in Sales, awesome company to work for.
    President club trips: Palm Springs, Cabo, Hawaii, and Las Vegas

ConsPresident, Executive VP, and VP rule by fear. This mainly is said for the President of the company. The VP will flat out ignore your requests for help, questions, or even guidance.
    In the billing, operations and accounting departments you can work a good amount of over time, HOWEVER if you work to much over time they do request to have you go from hourly to salary, they request you provide the same quality of work and obviously the same amount of hours but they never compensate for the loss of money you received working overtime. Most of the admin staff works 50+ hours a week.
    The company was asked to do a survey on the work environment at MRC, this would then go to an award given by the Union Tribune, MRC did win the award but this is hard to believe when I know most of the admin staff answered truthfully how we are treated at MRC.

Note: Some reviews made on this site are employees that are part of the LDP group (a management training group). They were asked to go on to this website and put in a good word for MRC. If you are in sales you would have a good experience with this company, since MRC is sales driven the executives forget to think about their admin staff that close out the deals.

Advice to Senior ManagementA supervisor was asked on a scale from 1 – 10 how is the morale? They answered 1 the president thought this was unprofessional and was extremely mad. My advice to the president, don’t asked the question if you don’t want the honest answer. You could have learned from this and asked the supervisor what we as a company need to do to boost morale.

May 19, 2014HR Generalist

Thank you for your response. Your feedback is essential for MRC to continue to grow, develop, and learn how to be the best for employees and customers. You made some excellent points and they were ... More

Most unprofessional company I have ever worked for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThere are managers in the field offices that are pleasant, decent leaders and care about their subordinates.
    It is a quick job in San Diego, where the market is pretty tough
    Some staff in SD is pleasant and fun to be around

ConsTerrible and outdated training
    Poor leadership--negative, lead by fear, unethical work practices. Most of the top leadership have spent their careers at MRC and only know how to lead in a toxic environment.
    HR Staff conducts themselves inappropriately, including leaking information that should be kept confidential, to non pertinent staff.
    Sexual harassment is common and tolerated.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your staff and stop tolerating inappropriate behavior in the workplace, in particular from the administration support staff-catty and disrespectful to most. Work on the culture, it is the only way to stop the bleeding.

Good Compensation, Micro-management, & Long Work Hours

Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsThe company is great positive environment to learn, and make mistakes. There is also a lot of upside to the job if you can work around the culture (micromanagement, tons and tons of meetings/goal setting, administrative work, lots of energy almost to a fault, and long hours) It is a tough industry, and the company has a wide offering of products. However, you can make decent money, and win a lot of cool competitions. Upper management is very engaged in the day-to-day of the company and are relatively down-to-earth. The company is also growing very fast, and has a lot opportunities for growth. They also do a very good job of reiterating the companies values, and you see reps daily closing business, and making a decent amount of money.

ConsMicromanagement is the culture. They do tons and tons of goal setting, training, and meetings, which is nice, but it ends up distracting employees from executing in their real jobs at least on the sales side of things. It is very hard to get your job done sometimes when you have sometimes 7-10 meeting per week between company trainings, blitz kick-offs, goal setting reviews, etc. The company means well, and has had year over year success. However, it can be very draining trying to get work done and close business in the culture. Good for a starter job, but makes it difficult for you to want to stay.

Advice to Senior ManagementGoal setting, meetings, company competitions, micromanagement, long hours, and administrative work are all necessary for a company to be successful. However, in this instance, it actually hinders sales people from doing their jobs effectively. Generally, sales people should be self motivated and given the autonomy to go out and take on new and current business. All the extra work doesn't help learn an industry and job that is by nature very tough.

May 14, 2014Human Resources Coordinator

We really appreciate your feedback; your honesty is what aids us in improving our day-to-day business. As a fast growing organization, it is important for us to constantly evolve both in employee ... More

Tough sell in a tough market

Sales Representative (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat people, good promos, very talented management, great vision from exec. Team

ConsCompetition offers comparable equipment and services at a lower price. Low base salary, no car package. This is an entry level position unless you are a major account rep.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to be more competitive in the market in regards to pricing.

May 19, 2014HR Generalist

Thanks for all your feedback. We appreciate your positive feedback about management and our vision. We will take your feedback on compensation into consideration. We are starting to look at market ... More

Worked for MRC? Contribute to the Community!