MRI Software

Updated November 12, 2014
3.1

MRI Software Chief Executive Officer Patrick Ghilani
Patrick Ghilani

Pros
  • Company is growing, offering many chances for advancement (in 3 reviews)

• Attempts to provide a good work life balance through regular shift bidding (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The parent company, Vista Equity partners, seems to be making all of the decisions, as they have done with all of their other acquisitions (in 8 reviews)

• Over two-thirds of the employees who were at the company prior to the purchase by Vista Equity Partners in January of 2010 are now gone (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Experience

I worked at MRI Software as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed the overall atmosphere at MRI. As an intern, I was given challenging tasks that made me feel like I was actually contributing to the company, whereas some internships just have you make copies and do menial tasks. My bosses were also always available to ask them questions when needed. Great on-site food and athletic facilities.

Cons

As an intern, I was not made available to the PTO, promotions, perks, etc. There was a lot of turnover at the company, however, the new leadership seems very enthusiastic and I foresee long-term growth in the company's future.

Keep communicating with lower levels of workers.

New CEO - Same Ownership and Decision Makers - Ethics

Former Employee - Sales in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Sales in Cleveland, OH

I worked at MRI Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job. You will get a paycheck.

Cons

Draconian non-compete, unethical, poor pay, must take a personality/intelligence exam that determines your future fate with company but the results are not revealed to you. Not pro growth, just pro EBITDA.

Management won't listen. They are directed by Vista corporate who only answers to private investors.

A company once on the cutting edge that has been blown away by its competitors and still can't right the ship.

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive

I worked at MRI Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Relaxed culture, with the right manager.

- The new office is nice.

- Minimal meetings - weekly sales meeting isn't terrible.

Cons

- Tremendous turnover - they test and interview for high-performing, less experienced (cheaper) talent. Once you realize that the OTE dollars are not realistic, it isn't long before you move on. Many of the rank and file along with many director level people have moved on in the last year.

- Anti-sales culture - the company is redefining and reducing territory size geographically while minimizing the portfolio an individual rep can sell. They are also making people either hunters or farmers. The result of this is that any high-performing sales person will be stifled, frustrated, and move on.

- Professional services insists a 3 month back log to start a project is healthy - customers are offended by this and this kills many add-on / training / value-add projects that would lead to happier clients in the long term.

- The product hasn't been updated significantly in 10+ years (pre-Vista). The acquisition products are not integrated to core MRI. The new interface is already delayed.

Focus on the product and deliver what you promise. Cut the salesforce by 75% and have wider geographic territories focused on commercial or residential. Reallocate dollars from reduced salesforce into additional staffing and training for professional services and product development to deliver a superior experience.

Career Excelerator

Current Employee - Account Executive SMB in Solon, OH
    Current Employee - Account Executive SMB in Solon, OH

I have been working at MRI Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

plenty of room for growth, great entry level job

Cons

Pay is below industry standard

Pay top talent to keep them around long term. Company outlook is fantastic and there is the potential for a huge growth in market share

Experienced newer employee

Current Employee - Solution Consultant in Solon, OH
    Current Employee - Solution Consultant in Solon, OH

I have been working at MRI Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent & extensive training period. Creative & relaxed environment. Benefits are comparable to the geographic area. Fringe benefits are excellent.

Cons

Turn over. The largest population of employees are very young & this is there 1st job, I don't think they realize how good it is here vs other companies in the area.

Some of the managers are very young & almost too relaxed. They don't always respond to emails or meeting requests promptly and don't always follow through on staff management issues.

Formalized training for new/ lower level managers.

Great Start for a Programmer

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Solon, OH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Solon, OH

I have been working at MRI Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Laid back environment
    - Great training program
    - Easy communication with anyone

Cons

- Low starting salary
    - Open floor can provide too much distraction

Unorganized Internship

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at MRI Software (less than an year)

Pros

There were a lot of friendly people there who always made the day interesting. There also were a lot of company sponsored events such as happy hours which were cool!

Cons

At my internship I ended up sitting around not doing anything. The manager did not have any tasks for me to work on, and I was just expected to step right in with the team and work on projects they were working on. This resulted in me slowing them down significantly, and me feeling unused. No training was given on using the languages that they used even though they knew that at the time I only had experience with Java (they used everything but). However, I was lucky enough to be forced to sit through a full week of "training" in which case I learned all about what the other parts of the company did.

Create an actu

Great entry level employer.

Current Employee - Software Support Analyst in Solon, OH
    Current Employee - Software Support Analyst in Solon, OH

I have been working at MRI Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Puts a large focus on initial training. Attempts to provide a good work life balance through regular shift bidding . Provides decent benefits including double salary life insurance.

Cons

The micromanagement styles of lower to middle management stifles creativity and overall moral.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Solon, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Solon, OH

I have been working at MRI Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

MRI is a very good place to work. They take care of their employees with good benefits and a very relaxed work environment. The HQ is in a great area with access to some really good restaurants for lunch.

Cons

When things go wrong there is a very quick change in attitude. There could be a little more grace in dealing with some situations.

Recent attempts to have information trickle down have been good, but I think that there is still room for improvement in getting employees up to speed with things going on.

GREAT COMPANY, LOVED MY TIME THERE

I worked at MRI Software

Pros

MRI offers great benefits to their employees and has a great company culture.

Cons

Compensation is slightly lower than competitors

Innovation needs to be a higher priority. Talent is being lost due to work on old products