MRY Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Matt Britton

1. Best experience! I miss them!

Former Employee - Spotify Campus Influencer in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Spotify Campus Influencer in Columbia, SC

I worked at MRY (More than a year)

Pros

*Large network of people you are exposed to *Chance to really grow as a marketer

Cons

Delays were present in communication.

2. Swimming Upstream

I worked at MRY

Pros

There is so much to like working here, from the perks like paid health insurance (soon to be a thing of the past), a full time barista to service all you caffeine addicts, weekly beer fridge, working with a portfolio of clients with great name recognition, to the amazing people who you'll end up becoming great friends with. There's a lot of potential here for this place to be an amazing force within the industry, but a lot needs to change.

Cons

For a creative agency the majority of the creative is mediocre at best, with ideas seeming to be recycled from more successful and innovative work at other agencies. There is also a strong lack of leadership among senior staff members, at times it seems like everyone has just given up, which affects the morale of the staff. Every year, it seems that the organization is delayed on giving promotions and raises, yet seems to have enough money to throw at parties that are supposed to boost morale, but end up aggravating people by making them think that "as long as we're drunk, no one will care that we're not advancing in our careers." Turnover is high, even for an agency, and there seems to be no rush to try to retain top talent before they're forced to start looking for somewhere else to take their skill set.

Advice to Management

Wake up! People are miserable and underpaid, at least acknowledge that fact as opposed to brushing it under the rug and giving weird perks like "Summer Mondays." Also fix the San Fransisco office, people migrate West, and are gone in 3-6 months. That should be a sign that something isn't working like it should. Champion everyone, not just the creative department. When you're just left with an agency full of creatives, there's no one to execute the actual work.

3. Amazing group of talented people

Former Employee - Creative in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Creative in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at MRY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone at MRY has an intense passion for what they do and they want to have a good time doing it. They are constantly concerned about keeping the culture of the agency exciting and innovative. There are not a lot of big egos here, people are down-to-earth and truly friendly.

Cons

Work/life balance was rough on certain clients. There were a lot of late nights and weekends to uphold impossible deadlines.

Advice to Management

Make sure all departments are properly staffed to handle the large amounts of work. Train account managers on when they can push back on a client's impossible demands.

At best, a bad agency

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MRY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MRY is great for a first agency due to the fact that it does count some household names in it's client roster. For someone fresh out of school or looking to break into the agency world, it is a great resume builder. The MRY office is SUPER nice. The emphasis on binge drinking and partying at the agency is great you love partying hard. MRY has some really talented people working there and some of them are super kind.

Cons

Where to start... Morale at the agency is absent. The main topic of conversation between employees is when they are moving on. Work/life balance at MRY is a complete joke. Due to lack of management oversight, half the agency works half days because no one knows what they do, while the other half works until 11pm every night and weekends. The agency has trouble convincing clients to pay for work, so the agency will do work out of scope, and then tell the lower level employees that their jobs may be jeopardy because they aren't working on enough billable work. Accountability, growth, and culture, is completely missing from MRY due to the high attrition rate. Due to the fact that MRY has been bought, sold, and stripped for parts five times in the last three years, no one at MRY (especially management) seems to know what is going on. Each year, employees are told that, due to the ownership group that owns MRY, no one will be receiving raises or promotions. This is obviously disheartening -- especially when MRY will continue to throw lavish parties and pump money into paid advertising to promote itself and it's executives' pet projects. Management openly says "if you want more money here, the only way you're getting it is by going out and getting a competing offer from another agency" Management openly complains that the company is directionless and says that they will be leaving ASAP. There is a real feeling that once MRY was purchased, the top brass at the company stopped caring about the agency.

Advice to Management

Top management needs to refocus on MRY, or quit. Simply staying around because it's a paycheck has a significant negative impact on employees. Management should begin figuring out who is an asset to the agency and who is a liability -- many managers and department heads are widely regarded as useless but kept around because no one cares enough to fire people.

6. Great Growth Potential

I worked at MRY

Pros

Great team camaraderie and upper management is down to earth, yet focused on results.

Cons

Work/life balance can sometimes be non-existent.

Advice to Management

Pay attention so that great staff members aren't burnt out too quickly.

7. Incredible company and culture.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MRY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In-house coffee house and barista Best-in-class benefits, including unlimited PTO Passionate workforce: work hard, play hard Many opportunities for growth for the motivated Fun ad agency perks: Beer Thursdays, Summer Fridays, etc.

Cons

Can be very long hours, depending on client Decidedly more "corporate" since Publicis takeover - get ready for many unnecessary meetings

Advice to Management

Stronger focus on the work output

8. People, Passion and (Great) Product

I worked at MRY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An amazing company to begin a career with. Entry level positions are given a lot more exposure/opportunities than the norm. Great client roster, awesome company culture, with very forward-thinking and innovative colleagues. I couldn't recommend the agency or the foundation that I gained here more.

Cons

In the earlier stages of the company (Mr Youth), compensation was lower than average when compared to responsibilities and hours. However, the experience and exposure made up for this.

Student Ambassador

Former Employee - Student Ambassador
    Former Employee - Student Ambassador

I worked at MRY

Pros

Great for resume and using marketing techniques

Cons

Very unorganized and unstructured when it came to products and team activities

Advice to Management

College students do not have the means to keep as many products as they send us, almost impossible to keep track of it all

10. Lead Campus Representative

Former Employee - Lead Campus Representative
    Former Employee - Lead Campus Representative

I worked at MRY

Pros

Looks good on resume if you have a household brand you are representing.

Cons

I cannot stress enough how terrible the management's communication is with representatives. My responsibilities were not communicated to me and then I received rude phone calls informing me that my pay would be docked (and it was), even though we addressed the fact that I had never been contacted about an assignment. The company is full of young, straight out of college students who care little about helping representatives in a timely fashion and are extremely disorganized. I understand this all may seem harsh, but working as a Coca-cola representative I couldn't help but feel that Coke would be disappointed with this company. Finally, their social media promotional skills are inadequate and irrelevant to college students.

Advice to Management

Communication is incredibly important in all aspects, especially when doing so long distance. I was so excited to start this opportunity, but deeply disappointed in how I was treated.

11. Love it!

I worked at MRY

Pros

Great social atmosphere, dedication to employees

Cons

Social vs Traditional, Clients, Work life balance

RSS Feed </> Embed