MSC Industrial Direct
www.mscdirect.com Melville, NY 5000+ Employees

MSC Industrial Direct Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
MSC Industrial Direct – Maumee – “Branch/Call Center”

MSC Industrial Direct CEO Erik Gershwind

Erik Gershwind

Pros:
  • "Sometimes I feel customer service people are my closest allies in the company"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Great co-workers; good benefits; gives back to the communites they are in"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Highly segregated feel toward upper management"
    in 7 reviews
  • "no room for advancement if you dont play golf with the execs"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Backwards company

Product Manager (Former Employee)
    Melville, NY

ProsThe satisfaction of resigning and walking out the door.

ConsUnmanageable work load. Extremely high unrealistic expectations. Upper management was down right condescending on a consistent basis. I was made to feel I had no self worth by my superiors. In short, worst company I've ever worked for. Leaving was the best decision I could have made.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs you might know, everybody in Melville is leaving. Ground has been broken on a second building in Davidson. Melville employees: writing is on the wall, get out and fast. There are companies out there that won't treat you like garbage.

Great Company - needs to update technology

ProsMany great people work here and training is excellent. I've worked here for nearly 10 years and have never been micromanaged. MSC does a lot of good things in the communities it's in, especially in the two headquarters locations. A lot of change is happening now, which can be uncomfortable, but in a big-picture view, the changes being made are needed for the future. We can't grow the way we want to without making changes to our infrastructure.

ConsTechnology is not cutting edge, or even close. Technology that we have, we don't use to its full potential. Hopefully this will change.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe competitive with compensation - not just when hiring, but when promoting and retaining. We are losing people after a long stretch of low merit budgets.

Very good company to work for.

ProsCulture is very good. Free coffee and tea.

ConsWork can be hard. Very demanding.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent

Sales Operations Specialist (Current Employee)
    Charleston, SC

ProsPromote from within, open door policy, sales tools abound, ect.

ConsIncremental numbers some years are hard to overcome.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorrect the problem.

Stalemate

ProsConsistent hours, benefits, great co-workers

ConsBase pay, commission structure, vending support, advancement opportunities non-existent unless willing to relocate

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter support for company initiatives, listen to the feet on the street!

"A great company that has taken the wrong turn"

Sales (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsThe company has strong focus on the "Boss" our customer.

ConsLimited opportunity, many lost national accounts which penalizes the account executives. Becoming perscriptive in management style, and taking away from time in the field to sell.

Used to be a great Family Co but now just all about the money. The Soul died with Sid.

Senior Inside Sales Teamleader (Former Employee)
    Birmingham, AL

ProsMany EXCELLENT co-workers!!
     Great product
     Great customer service

ConsTerminated most people in mid level management that made "too much" money several years ago so they could hire at "local" wages. especially in the South!
    no loyalty to employees
    crappy raises
    top management quit caring after Sid passed and Mitchell left.
    branch managers used HR as a weapon not a tool

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to a FAMILY business and the money will come naturally!!

Daily struggle to perform job

ProsAt one time there was a culture but it is very clear that the culture is long gone.

ConsThe management in place is a boys club and rules with a do as I say not as I do philosophy. A large majority of the leaders are aggressive and unprofessional. The same people keep getting promoted. There is no opportunity for growth. They bleed you dry and give you no praise or recognition for a job well done. If you make a tiny mistake you will hear about it repeatedly for the rest of your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house in Melville. Your loyalty to top managers is misguided. Your top managers are the ones ruining the culture and the moral of the associates. Stop talking about culture, your culture is long gone. We may have been a family company at one time but now we are the definition of a "dysfunctional, abusive family".

Good stepping stone but no career advancement here

IT Operations (Current Employee)
    Melville, NY

ProsGood starting salary, good people, very easy work, free coffee, regular hours
    Good company for "starting experience" in whatever field your job is in

Cons- Work is too easy and simple due to red tape and policies - boring work
    - Jobs are compartmentalized and you will only learn the materials you directly work with - no chance of expanding knowledge
    - 1-2% yearly promotion cap has lead to long time associates doing bare minimum and slacking off since there is no upward mobility to work toward
    - Highly segregated feel toward upper management
    - HR is feared and open door policy typically gets the complainer fired (unless said complainer is in HR)
    - ZERO room for advancement as all new jobs opportunities are filled by consultants - including job backfilling
    - Shady policies - many positions are not shared with internal associates and secretly posted on job sites only
    - Direct manager determines your company advancement - if they do not actively help you advance you will not
    - Very low amount of internal promotions except at manager and above levels - senior management mostly hired externally from other failing companies (Arrow, Computer Associates)
    - Projects stall and take much longer than they should - mostly driven by senior management probably busy counting stacks of money

Advice to Senior ManagementCame into the company with tales of grandeur and stories that "working hard will get you seen by management and good people will promoted" - have seen zero of it. The conspiracy theories of people in management hiring friends from old companies are very true.

Why do we keep leaders that are failures?

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsI've been working in the Sales organization at MSC for years. I'm happy. I understand the frustrations, but it is part of a career in sales. Despite some of the commission struggles I've always been able to grow financially and in my career at MSC. It is not easy.

ConsI have no issue with most of the company. Recent purging in HR was well overdue, but is a good sign.
    I work closely with IT and recently had lunch with a person I work on projects with in IT. That person is always positive and optimistic, but when I asked him how things were he said miserable. Apparently he feels the need to say nothing but positive things because the CIO is on a witch hunt to find anyone who speaks out against him and he makes their lives miserable. As I've seen in other postings, the CIO surrounds himself with Arrow people and "yes" people.
    While there are some good people in IT, doing good things, the CIO has a string of failures since he started with the company and seems to be rewarded for them.
    With an executive crushing an important department in the company, I'm very concerned. Morale in IT apparently is horrible and there is fear and people being abused. I know the head of the Infrastructure for years and he little more than a bully to his team and suck up to executives.
    With leadership like this in IT, we'll continue to over spend and under deliver. I guess the CEO is happy with that sort of performance and building that kind of sweatshop reputation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTurnover isn't a bad thing. I would bring in some new blood with proven experience in IT. We're not catching up to the competition.

Worked for MSC Industrial Direct? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MSC Industrial Direct reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MSC Industrial Direct CEO Erik Gershwind. All 86 reviews posted anonymously by MSC Industrial Direct employees.