MSC Industrial Direct
www.mscdirect.com Melville, NY 5000+ Employees

MSC Industrial Direct Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
MSC Industrial Direct – Maumee – “Branch/Call Center”

MSC Industrial Direct CEO Erik Gershwind

Erik Gershwind

Pros:
  • "Sometimes I feel customer service people are my closest allies in the company"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Great co-workers; good benefits; gives back to the communites they are in"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Highly segregated feel toward upper management"
    in 7 reviews
  • "no room for advancement if you dont play golf with the execs"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Nightmare in Melville

ProsFree coffee. CoWorkers try to help each other despite senior management.

ConsThe new trend is hire consultants particularly in Melville. I understand wanting to build out the new Davidson facility but at what cost? We are understaffed and when we do get assistance it's a consultant that may have good intentions but is out the door the minute a full time job is available or something doesn't go their way. They are not committed to the culture. They are just place fillers we keep having to train but never really get up to speed. The ownership just isn't there.
    The company is growing head count due to acquisitions but IT senior management has their heads buried in the sand. How can we provide adequate support if they refuse to grow the staff. It's a joke. More and more work and projects with no new hires in IT. Everyone is burnt out from the long hours and having to juggle tasks. Managers spend more time on planes than with their families.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look around. See what you direct reports are up against and get the necessary staff to get the job done. Stop abusing the staff you have.

Proceed at your own risk......

Account Representative (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsFlexible schedule
    No micromanaging
    Work from home

ConsPoor compensation and commission
    Zero chance of any advancement
    Poor vacation/sick day policy
    No communication between management, VP's, corporate, HR, customer service
    Zero accountability at every management level

Advice to Senior ManagementStop looking at the company and employees with rose filled glasses. Can't ship products to the customer in a timely fashion. Customers are fleeing to competitors at a high rate due to poor fill rates and bad customer service. Zero help for the boots in the field. Zero support for outside sales. Get out in the field and LISTEN to the customer.

Has been a good company to work for.

ProsMost associates are friendly and a pleasure to work with.

ConsCareer opportunities and promotions are limited to specific departments.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lackluster growth opportunity

Inside Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsManagement at the branch level tends to be non micromanaging which is nice. They will work with you as you need flexibility in your schedule if you have family needs. Job training is decent, but very scripted. Wish I could give more pro's, but really can't come up with more.

ConsGrowth opportunities within the company is abysmal at best. They will continually change up job descriptions in order to prevent people from changing job positions within the company. They have recently made changes that are going to end up hurting their customer relationships and how the customer depends on them to help them with their business. Customers will now be going to their competition (Grainger, Fastenal, etc. ) who will provide the services that MSC once did. If you try to look for growth opportunity within the company but it's not available, they tell you that you can become different levels or grades of the job description that you are now, but fail to ever tell you how to become that. They are way too heavy on the outside sales area and need to get back to the fundamentals of listening to the inside sales staff who are the ones who constantly speak with their customer. Worse part of this company is that I have never in all my years been associated with a company that encourages "tattling" on one another. This company needs to start listening to their "workers in the field" rather than the bean counters and lawyers who make up the rules. Management is always talking about the culture of the company and how we should be obeying it, but will turn around and do exactly what they just told you not to do. Pay at the company is okay, but far below what the hard workers should be paid. This is why the people who will work hard will leave the company and they will be stuck with the ones who find the job to be comfortable and be able to get by.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to the "peons" in the company. Believe it or not, they are telling you the truth and only really want the best for the company. I worked there for 2 years and during that time watched it slowly deteriorate from a helpful to the customer company to a we just need to save money and work for the shareholders company.

Not too shabby just too easy.

Inventory (Former Employee)
    Elkhart, IN

ProsPopsicles, no micromanaging, pretty good pay

Consboring, repetitive work, lots of smokers

Advice to Senior ManagementOutlaw smoking

Great Place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Salary, Good staff, Good Benefits.

Conslittle room for advancement at branch.

A Terrible Experience Working in the Internal Audit Department as a Senior Auditor

Senior Auditor (Former Employee)
    Davidson, NC

ProsThe only positive thing were the people I worked with throughout the company to perform audit testing. Everybody was friendly and easy to work with.

ConsThe salary left much to be desired but worse than that was the type of work assigned. I was hired as a Senior Auditor and was performing work that would have been suitable for a Staff Auditor. Almost all of my assignments were performing SOx 404 testing. Aside from that I performed quarterly review for the quarterly Management Call and a Branch Audit. Everything I did was very simple and there was no challenge. There were times when I would have nothing to do for days. I have never been more bored than when I worked here. Also, after being there for a couple of months it was obvious that there was virtually no room for advancement and would be stuck in that position. On top of all of this, the leadership within the department did not seem to understand that Internal Audit reports to the Audit Committee and not Senior Management of the company. The Internal Audit department leadership seemed to fear Senior Management and how they would react to issues raised from testing performed
    . I would never work for this employer again!!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure to have people in the Internal Audit department leadership that are qualified with adequate experience to perform their job adequately.

Old Barnes Distribution Rep

OUTSIDE SALES (Current Employee)

ProsUsed to be many as a Barnes rep, finding it harder and harder to see any pros in the MSC world. I've always done very well in new business sales but finding it harder and harder to believe in company anymore with the lack of information, low pay and terrible fill rate. Sometimes I feel customer service people are my closest allies in the company.

ConsThis used to be a great company to work for before MSC bought us out. We used to have flexible schedules, make your own route and schedule. See customers as you see fit. Now management decides how often you see your customers and on which days (at least in my market).
    Huge quota increases, unrealistic for smaller territory reps.
    Highly micro-managed now that we are a part of MSC.
    Have no idea where us Barnes reps stand or what we are going to be called or what will change tomorrow, if anything at all.
    They claim we are to be selling reps now vs the old way which was service reps but this is probably one of the lowest paying outside sales jobs in my experience. And we've always had to sell new accounts. The activity they are asking us to deliver requires higher base pays as the commission levels are pathetic.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize good SALES reps wont stick around long with the low base salaries, low commission rates and high micro-management.

hopeful for the future

Administrative (Current Employee)
    Melville, RI

Prosgood foundation and history, great market, encouraging prospects for change

Constough time right now...mgmt must execute on the change they are talking about and execute on the strategic plan to return company to growth.

Advice to Senior Managementdeliver on the promise of change.

Fear and Loathing in IT Operations

IT Operations (Current Employee)
    Melville, NY

ProsJob Stability
    The founder, CEO, and Chairman have had a great focus on the business and company growth.
    Some really great people work here.

ConsI've been with MSC for a long time. I've seen some good people come and go and there are still some good people here.
    The current environment in IT Operations is dismal and has been for a while. The CIO has put his people in charge and they just look out for themselves. It is very miserable in IT Operations.
    The whole IT Department is just very depressing to work in.
    I'm on here looking for a job because of the situation. I have no problems with my work, but the environment is affecting my family life.
    If I could get a job in the Finance or Product Departments where I think people are happy and productive, I would, but I'm an IT person.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy ratings are based on IT only. Especially IT Operations. I like the CEO, although I don't really know him.
    I've read the other postings on here and I think they are the truth. Please listen to them.
    It really makes people's lives miserable when you put Sr. Directors into positions and they focus on looking good to the Vice Presidents and grind a whole department into the dirt.

Worked for MSC Industrial Direct? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MSC Industrial Direct reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MSC Industrial Direct CEO Erik Gershwind. All 86 reviews posted anonymously by MSC Industrial Direct employees.