MSC Industrial Direct

Updated January 22, 2015
2.9

MSC Industrial Direct CEO Erik Gershwind
Erik Gershwind

Pros
  • Great co-workers; good benefits; gives back to the communites they are in (in 9 reviews)

• Sometimes I feel customer service people are my closest allies in the company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management was down right condescending on a consistent basis (in 8 reviews)

• Senior Management simply moves the jobs around between themselves (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Best decision I ever made....

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In reading some of these negative reviews about MSC, I wonder If these people work for the same company that I have been at for the past 15+ years, because for me, it was the best professional decision I've ever made. Goals are set and achieved, tools to succeed are provided and the customers, associates and company reap the rewards. Not every day is fantastic, but it's all in your approach and how you handle frustration or disappointment. Having worked in places that had very inhospitable cultures, I know a good culture when I see it, and MSC has one. The change that is happening in the company is for the best and has re-energized people. A company cannot afford to remain the same when the world around us is changing! It is an exciting, transformative time to be here and the team I manage gets to contribute and be a part of it. I'm proud to work for MSC.

Cons

The 'cons' are toxic people who feel a sense of entitlement and have nothing positive to say or add to the company, but rather are chronic complainers. If you are unhappy with MSC, either work collaboratively to change it or consider going somewhere else.

Continue the transparent communication, but it needs to come from more than the top of the organization. All leaders should contribute to communication and let people know the benefits that will come with change.

Good Company overall

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

Good working environment, not micro managed and you don't work late too much. Stable company, no layoffs that I am aware of

Cons

Even though management says it, there is very little growth opportunity within the company. Feels like in order to be promoted you have to go to another company. Compensation isn't great.

Solid company, slow to adapt

Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely reliable, almost zero layoffs in company history. Company has a good culture and the management believes in the vision of the company.

Cons

The company is sometimes slow to react and adapt. Some projects and initiatives take ages to complete and are no longer cutting edge when they're finally completed.

Some positions have few options for advancement, narrow career paths.

Become more agile with rolling out new features, technologies, etc.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Large company, company car good benefitss

Cons

Managers promoted by tenure not skill set

Dig in and really find out what is going on

Great company, great values!

Current Employee - OSA in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - OSA in Reno, NV

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

Great company that is growing. Great values.l
    Wonderful leadership from Erik Gershwind down.
    Diverse workforce including older workers
    Great training and salary. Outside sales associates even get a very nice company car

Cons

None that I can think of.

Continue to follow Sid's foundation. Continue doing the wonderful job you're doing.

Msc and the vision

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

Great benefits most are not willing to change however those that understand and see the vision of Erik and understand to be better we must change will thrive

Cons

All dont understand Eriks vision and that will be our downfall if all levels are not aligned.

Continue to seek great talent and listen to your people that perform the tasks on a daily basis. Understand that you have associates that care and bleed MSC. Erik know that your team cares and that the CFCS want to meet and exceed your expectations, we need the tools to make us better on a consistent basis. We believe in you and this company. Don't forget about us and the daily efforts that do provide positive results.

Weak Upper Management; No Career Management; Don't believe what they tell you

Current Employee - Product in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Product in Melville, NY

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Growth Potential, Sales Leader Left (change needed)

Cons

Leadership team has no focus, no clear strategy, too many priorities, no career management, culture is awful (back stabbing politics and games); the nicest people get promoted (doesn't matter if you're effective)

None. They don't listen anyway as they don't know how to deal with conflict. They just ignore it.

A company with high integrity.

Former Employee - Branch Sales Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Branch Sales Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

MSC has a very strong code of ethic and try's to be fair to all associates while not discriminating against anyone.

Cons

MSC is run from the top down with high expectations to roll out various programs, leaving little room for autonomy.

Listen more.

Manager Positions: Many tasks outside of the job description are required in order to be successful

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time

Pros

Autonomy with strategy. Flexibility with schedule. Fantastic reputation in industry as MSC is the leader in metal working products. Logistics are very reliable as customers will always get what they ordered next day-take pride in that. Company culture is somewhat positive and conducive to longevity with company. Free company car which spouses are allowed to drive.

Cons

Managers-manage-through delegation, even if associate is not qualified to complete the tasks. Total lack of accountability among associates. Field Sales & National Account Sales Department operate as seperate companies ( silo effect). Account Managers are primarily base salary (98% base) with a departmental bonus-so not a huge desire to over-perform. Departmental bonuses are laughable generally under $2,000-10,000 annually.

The review process is too subjective. Change the review process to actually measure someones performance AND Skills not just how your supervisor thinks you should be rated. Fire those people who are repeat offenders of not performing to expectations! Too many people delegate and no one taking action. Create a monetary incentive with a compelling compensation package to motivate and promote the right people.

Erik and Mitchell. Please read this twice

Current Employee - Senior Leader
    Current Employee - Senior Leader

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Revenue growth, niche industry, lack of metalworking competition, bonuses & stock

Cons

Career pathing is non-existent, constant propaganda by top management, lack of accountability & discipline at all levels

Wow, what a tumultuous time at MSC. I've been with the company for a large part of my professional career and part of the Director and up "group." First the pros; we are a growing company and there is a lot more potential in our space. We have a great metalworking sales and tech team and very knowledgable product owners. Nobody is better than MSC in the metalworking industry. Our outside sales team is heads and shoulders above our competition and our product team is definitely one of MSCs biggest assets. Our ecomm business is growing and although it is true the leader of that department is a used car salesmen, results have been good and I've seen MSC make investment in this area. Bonuses were very strong this year and they continue to give us stock, stock options, and a discount on associate stock purchase. Many of us have a very vested interest in how the company performs. It's our retirement and out kids futures. MSC is not going anywhere and the job stability is high.

Our CEO and the Senior CEO, his uncle, have made some dramatic personnel decisions in the past year. First they fired the EVP of HR who everyone knew was poisoning the culture at MSC. That's an old story. They also have purged a couple other execs that were not up to par, in marketing and HR. These have been positive moves and the majority of the associates saw it needed to be done. They have made an attempt to reach out more and communicate better with the masses through town halls and emails. Our CEO has discussed differentiating compensation based on performance which if he means it, will make a huge difference in morale.

We just found out that our EVP of Sales was fired. I, along with many others was completely shocked. He has been around for a long time and is one of the biggest reasons we have been so successful. He is intense and passionate about MSC and many of us were taken aback by this decision. I know by talking to many on his team, they are crushed. Our sales are up and business is growing so why fire the guy that's behind that? I myself worry that this is the beginning of the end. I even think our CEO is having regret as he continues to communicate how much he will miss him and what a great contribution he made. If he was so great, why fire him??

On top of that and in my opinion, even worse news, the one VP that most of us would follow is leaving the company. When the email came out Friday that he was resigning most of the people I talked to were really disappointed. He talked to everyone no matter what level or who they were and genuinely cared. He was in charge of the companys executive committee and supply chain. He had a big influence and he could have run this company someday but now he will do it somewhere else. Hopefully not at Grainger or Fastenal! He and I actually had a couple battles in the past few years but I really respected him. Both he and the Sales EVP are huge losses and I hope the CEO and his uncle have a plan.

I'm not going anywhere. I have stock that is needed to vest and pay for college. I like the people I work with and I don't work crazy hours. I get a car with a gas card and free insurance. I'm treated fairly and not micro managed. I just want the CEO and other leaders to know we are worried about the future here. It doesn't seem like anyone is in charge at times and even the execs are concerned. I know the survey that was just done showed the execs are more disengaged than the lower level associates and that's frightening. I don't get why our sales EVP was fired. I don't know why we have two corporate headquarters. I don't undertand why our class C business is called class C. I don't know why our CIO still has a job and I don't know why we call the basement the garden level.
    I'm not leaving but I'm also not signing up for more until I know our company, my company for the last 15ish years, has it's act together.

MSC Industrial Direct Photos