MSC Industrial Direct

Updated December 13, 2014
2.9

MSC Industrial Direct CEO Erik Gershwind
Erik Gershwind

Pros
  • Great co-workers; good benefits; gives back to the communites they are in (in 9 reviews)

• Sometimes I feel customer service people are my closest allies in the company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management was down right condescending on a consistent basis (in 8 reviews)

• Senior Management simply moves the jobs around between themselves (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Erik and Mitchell. Please read this twice

Current Employee - Senior Leader
    Current Employee - Senior Leader

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Revenue growth, niche industry, lack of metalworking competition, bonuses & stock

Cons

Career pathing is non-existent, constant propaganda by top management, lack of accountability & discipline at all levels

Wow, what a tumultuous time at MSC. I've been with the company for a large part of my professional career and part of the Director and up "group." First the pros; we are a growing company and there is a lot more potential in our space. We have a great metalworking sales and tech team and very knowledgable product owners. Nobody is better than MSC in the metalworking industry. Our outside sales team is heads and shoulders above our competition and our product team is definitely one of MSCs biggest assets. Our ecomm business is growing and although it is true the leader of that department is a used car salesmen, results have been good and I've seen MSC make investment in this area. Bonuses were very strong this year and they continue to give us stock, stock options, and a discount on associate stock purchase. Many of us have a very vested interest in how the company performs. It's our retirement and out kids futures. MSC is not going anywhere and the job stability is high.

Our CEO and the Senior CEO, his uncle, have made some dramatic personnel decisions in the past year. First they fired the EVP of HR who everyone knew was poisoning the culture at MSC. That's an old story. They also have purged a couple other execs that were not up to par, in marketing and HR. These have been positive moves and the majority of the associates saw it needed to be done. They have made an attempt to reach out more and communicate better with the masses through town halls and emails. Our CEO has discussed differentiating compensation based on performance which if he means it, will make a huge difference in morale.

We just found out that our EVP of Sales was fired. I, along with many others was completely shocked. He has been around for a long time and is one of the biggest reasons we have been so successful. He is intense and passionate about MSC and many of us were taken aback by this decision. I know by talking to many on his team, they are crushed. Our sales are up and business is growing so why fire the guy that's behind that? I myself worry that this is the beginning of the end. I even think our CEO is having regret as he continues to communicate how much he will miss him and what a great contribution he made. If he was so great, why fire him??

On top of that and in my opinion, even worse news, the one VP that most of us would follow is leaving the company. When the email came out Friday that he was resigning most of the people I talked to were really disappointed. He talked to everyone no matter what level or who they were and genuinely cared. He was in charge of the companys executive committee and supply chain. He had a big influence and he could have run this company someday but now he will do it somewhere else. Hopefully not at Grainger or Fastenal! He and I actually had a couple battles in the past few years but I really respected him. Both he and the Sales EVP are huge losses and I hope the CEO and his uncle have a plan.

I'm not going anywhere. I have stock that is needed to vest and pay for college. I like the people I work with and I don't work crazy hours. I get a car with a gas card and free insurance. I'm treated fairly and not micro managed. I just want the CEO and other leaders to know we are worried about the future here. It doesn't seem like anyone is in charge at times and even the execs are concerned. I know the survey that was just done showed the execs are more disengaged than the lower level associates and that's frightening. I don't get why our sales EVP was fired. I don't know why we have two corporate headquarters. I don't undertand why our class C business is called class C. I don't know why our CIO still has a job and I don't know why we call the basement the garden level.
    I'm not leaving but I'm also not signing up for more until I know our company, my company for the last 15ish years, has it's act together.

Great opportunity to grow as a professional.

Current Employee - Finance in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Finance in Melville, NY

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

My manager. The culture is amazing. Excellent facility.

Cons

Vacation package is a little weak. Other than that, I've got 0 complaints.

Eric is our leader, let him lead. We must evolve as a company, get behind Eric's decisions and support him.

Overall, a good company to work for.

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time

Pros

MSC provides competitive wages, annual bonus, and career advancement opportunities. Hard work is generally rewarded and you can build a career if you are willing to put in the work.

Cons

The day-to-day operations of the organization is too complex; its very hard to get something done if there's not an established procedure. Too many of the supervisors and managers are task masters versus problem solvers and do not give enough consideration to the big picture.

MSC is disconnected to a large portion of the market primarily due to pricing. Get list prices in-line with the rest of the market and you could really dominate.

Hard Job. Great Customers

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

Good Salary.Great deal of flexibility in schedule. Very interesting job seeing the inside of factories and utilities etc and to see how various products are made.

Cons

Extremely Difficult to makes sales plan year after year because of unrealistic growth goals.

Be more Realistic

The post below for Erik and Mitchell is exactly what is wrong with company

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growth Company, Excellent Industry, Great Projects

Cons

Many long term employees feel entitled, resist change and behave terribly. Culture promotes back stabbing as opposed to teamwork. Anyone that tries to bring change will be under attack.

To the poster of the message, if you have that many complaints about the company, you should leave. You probably will not because you have stayed in a comfortable position so long that you have no marketable skills (do you work in Product???). If you are going to stay and you have issues, address them with the individuals at work and act like you are on the team. Stop running to Erik and Mitchell. MSC is not a small company anymore, so stop behaving that way. Leadership needs to stop allowing this complaining to happen.

The Experience at MSC Direct depends on your Manager.

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

I have had experience at other companies and MSC Direct is a more pleasant place to work.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive if you've been here a while and there is little/no real career pathing.

Great company with lots of room to move

Current Employee - Customer Support in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Detroit, MI

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good place to work, benefits are good and you know what is expected of you.
    The location I work at there is plenty of room to move around, the salaries are better than most call centers and everyone treats you well. The call center manager Kathy Green is a fantastic manager, you know what is expected of you and her door is always open. Been here under a year and already promoted because I work hard and take pride in my work. If you don't, you probably won't succeed here.
    They care about their customers and employees, they make decisions as a company based on what is good for everyone.

Cons

Better raises would be my only con

Pay is decent, however pay your top performers like top performers or they will eventually stop performing at such a high level because they can work just as hard as the slacker next to them and still get the same raise.

Good experience at MSC

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

Fellow associates and perks to job

Cons

None at the moment

Advance associates based more on performance

Commission structure impossible to calculate

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

Company car. Insurance benefits. 401 K. Stock.

Cons

Too many products. Too many initiatives added monthly so making commission becomes very difficult. National accounts are negotiated by national sales manager and pricing is at a low GP that hurt your sales in other accounts each month.

Change the way commissions are paid out.

Out of there over a year, my observations...

Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in Melville, NY

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I did call this 'out of there over a year' didn't i?

Cons

Well, about 14 months since my resignation, I've kept in close contact with many associates. I mean several associates. I mean a few. Actually, now, none. They did an amazing job of chasing talent out the door. What a miserable place to work when your own CEO looks you in the eye and says 'we will always be a Long Island company.' Yeah sure Erik. From what I'm told, Melville is a ghost town. For 2 individuals who made my life hell at MSC and are still on the sinking ship, all I can say is...karma.

Cut the NY associates off of live support so they can find a real career. Stop wasting their time!

MSC Industrial Direct Photos