MSC Industrial Direct Reviews

139 reviews filtered by
2.9
MSC Industrial Direct CEO Erik Gershwind
Erik Gershwind

Pros
  • Great co-workers; good benefits; gives back to the communites they are in (in 9 reviews)

• Sometimes I feel customer service people are my closest allies in the company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management was down right condescending on a consistent basis (in 8 reviews)

• Senior Management simply moves the jobs around between themselves (in 7 reviews)

1. Very solid company

Former Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Even in an economic downturn, they never laid off an employee. MSC is a great company for which to work.

Cons

There is limited mobility to other positions.

2. Has changed for the worse

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Overall they make money and pay their bills, benefits are good

Cons

Too many to mention but just to add some color I would say they have changed over the last 5-10yrs. Became Wall Street focused as opposed to customer focused. Unreachable goals, cut loose if sales numbers aren't being met. Stock price lost $20 per share since new CEO. Not keeping an eye on how competitors are consistently beating us.

Make is simple! To many rules, red tape, sea programs that mandate unrealistic outcomes. Stop letting good people get away.

Amazing people and fun career

Former Employee - Account Representative in Garden Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Garden Grove, CA

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Office culture is family oriented, always nurturing and helping each other.

Cons

Too many different goals to hit in order to make commission.

Let your sales people do what they do best SELL. Less admin work.

Good company to work for, but know their expectations before signing on!

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Port St Lucie, FL
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Port St Lucie, FL

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

A lot of freedom to get the job done. A fair salary with good benefits. A manager who doesn't micro manage.

Cons

An extremely difficult commission structure to figure out. Your yearly goal is for one dollar figure, but the amount you need to sell in order to get your whole commission is another, almost double. As the company gets bigger, the more paperwork is required, which you either have to take from your time spent in front of the customer, or take from your family. Someone in upper management comes up with a program they want everyone to focus on each year, and a lot of time is wasted making sure we report on the program so we aren't called out.

Update your commission program for your sales force. MSC is a "what have you done for me lately" company, and needs to recognize the effort it takes to maintain an account, not just grow it...

6. MSC Sacramento, CA is the best run branch with exceptional employees!

Former Employee - Metalworking Account Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Metalworking Account Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

MSC is the most progressive company in product offering and diverse culture of employers!!! Great company!

Cons

I have to say that MSC is a model company and I hope to someday work for them again!

none!

MSC

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

Great team environment the culture is to create and foster new talent in order to develop a strong sales associate force.

Cons

The commission structure is based on profit margin dollars for the total sales in one territory all attainable. One has to keep in consideration you must continue to beat past predecessors as well as your own each month.

Increase base

A Company with Big Plans

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Large Company that invests for the future, opportunities for career growth, culture base company with an aggressive growth strategy.

Cons

Growing pains not being dealt with quickly enough, not all managers are leaders some managers are micro managers, they want to hear you, but they don't always listen.

The best leaders are people who lead by example. Managers who have to micromanage and are only yes people do not truly embrace leadership skills. Don't judge by what you hear, the people you sometimes listen to have hidden agendas so "know the people and interact before you form an opinion."

lots of room for improvement

Current Employee - Associate in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in Melville, NY

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Job stability and new HR leadership. Company is very charitable. I wish i could say more but at this point i don't see anything else that is positive. I hope we see real change.

Cons

no career path for many departments and favoritism and nepotism run rampant. We have some good VP's that acknowledge lower level associates, but many do not. Middle mgmt needs to be held accountable. There are many people in the manager role that shouldn't be managers; or at least get some proper training.

When bonuses are not being paid, look at other alternatives as we are all working very hard. Maybe more vacation days? Comp days? etc..

Every department at MSC has it's flaws, but it seems that IT gets beat up a lot; here on glassdoor and at work. No department is perfect and I've actually seen more incompetence in other departments. It's just not as visible. The CIO is a pretty good guy and actually says hello and is approachabe. We just had a snowstorm and many of the execs left before the associates. The CIO was one of the few that walked around and made sure his people were leaving before him. That's leading by example.

10. Good company to work for

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

CEO has integrity and it filters down to the rest of the company. I always feel that the company tries to do the right thing for all its associates.

Cons

The holiday and vacation policy. I think we only get 7 paid holidays per year and two weeks of paid vacation for the first 5 years. That is less than any company I have ever worked for.

11. AMAZING CULTURE

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

The culture is amazing, very helpful management no matter what level of employment.

Cons

Really have no cons, this company has helped me with my career from day1.

None. keep doing what your doing.

MSC Industrial Direct Photos