MSC Industrial Direct

Updated February 24, 2015
2.8

MSC Industrial Direct CEO Erik Gershwind
Erik Gershwind

Pros
  • Great co-workers; good benefits; gives back to the communites they are in (in 9 reviews)

• Sometimes I feel customer service people are my closest allies in the company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management was down right condescending on a consistent basis (in 8 reviews)

• Senior Management simply moves the jobs around between themselves (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work for, but know their expectations before signing on!

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Port St Lucie, FL
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Port St Lucie, FL

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

A lot of freedom to get the job done. A fair salary with good benefits. A manager who doesn't micro manage.

Cons

An extremely difficult commission structure to figure out. Your yearly goal is for one dollar figure, but the amount you need to sell in order to get your whole commission is another, almost double. As the company gets bigger, the more paperwork is required, which you either have to take from your time spent in front of the customer, or take from your family. Someone in upper management comes up with a program they want everyone to focus on each year, and a lot of time is wasted making sure we report on the program so we aren't called out.

Update your commission program for your sales force. MSC is a "what have you done for me lately" company, and needs to recognize the effort it takes to maintain an account, not just grow it...

Great for the time I was there

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

Great Benefits, and pay for entry-level positions

Cons

Little chance for advancement unless you are at the HQ

MSC

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

Great team environment the culture is to create and foster new talent in order to develop a strong sales associate force.

Cons

The commission structure is based on profit margin dollars for the total sales in one territory all attainable. One has to keep in consideration you must continue to beat past predecessors as well as your own each month.

Increase base

MSC Sacramento, CA is the best run branch with exceptional employees!

Former Employee - Metalworking Account Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Metalworking Account Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

MSC is the most progressive company in product offering and diverse culture of employers!!! Great company!

Cons

I have to say that MSC is a model company and I hope to someday work for them again!

none!

A Company with Big Plans

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Large Company that invests for the future, opportunities for career growth, culture base company with an aggressive growth strategy.

Cons

Growing pains not being dealt with quickly enough, not all managers are leaders some managers are micro managers, they want to hear you, but they don't always listen.

The best leaders are people who lead by example. Managers who have to micromanage and are only yes people do not truly embrace leadership skills. Don't judge by what you hear, the people you sometimes listen to have hidden agendas so "know the people and interact before you form an opinion."

AMAZING CULTURE

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

The culture is amazing, very helpful management no matter what level of employment.

Cons

Really have no cons, this company has helped me with my career from day1.

None. keep doing what your doing.

Outside sales- Facade is great! The core not so much!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Bridgeport, CT
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Bridgeport, CT

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

Growing company, good benefits. Low debt company

Cons

Arrogant in thinking they are the only ones customers can buy from. Unrealistic goals, micromanaged, you can make your number and still not get commission if profit margin is low. In order to compete with locals, nationals and web including Amazon you NEED low margin. Some reps are exempt from goals. You will be on a PIP and walked out if you don't meet the numbers !! While other reps aren't held to same goal pressure. No matter if you're there 2 or 25 years, loyal and in good standing, as soon as sales slip you're OUT!

Have achievable goals, make sure that ALL associates have the same goals. P

lots of room for improvement

Current Employee - Associate in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in Melville, NY

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Job stability and new HR leadership. Company is very charitable. I wish i could say more but at this point i don't see anything else that is positive. I hope we see real change.

Cons

no career path for many departments and favoritism and nepotism run rampant. We have some good VP's that acknowledge lower level associates, but many do not. Middle mgmt needs to be held accountable. There are many people in the manager role that shouldn't be managers; or at least get some proper training.

When bonuses are not being paid, look at other alternatives as we are all working very hard. Maybe more vacation days? Comp days? etc..

Every department at MSC has it's flaws, but it seems that IT gets beat up a lot; here on glassdoor and at work. No department is perfect and I've actually seen more incompetence in other departments. It's just not as visible. The CIO is a pretty good guy and actually says hello and is approachabe. We just had a snowstorm and many of the execs left before the associates. The CIO was one of the few that walked around and made sure his people were leaving before him. That's leading by example.

Best decision I ever made....

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In reading some of these negative reviews about MSC, I wonder If these people work for the same company that I have been at for the past 15+ years, because for me, it was the best professional decision I've ever made. Goals are set and achieved, tools to succeed are provided and the customers, associates and company reap the rewards. Not every day is fantastic, but it's all in your approach and how you handle frustration or disappointment. Having worked in places that had very inhospitable cultures, I know a good culture when I see it, and MSC has one. The change that is happening in the company is for the best and has re-energized people. A company cannot afford to remain the same when the world around us is changing! It is an exciting, transformative time to be here and the team I manage gets to contribute and be a part of it. I'm proud to work for MSC.

Cons

The 'cons' are toxic people who feel a sense of entitlement and have nothing positive to say or add to the company, but rather are chronic complainers. If you are unhappy with MSC, either work collaboratively to change it or consider going somewhere else.

Continue the transparent communication, but it needs to come from more than the top of the organization. All leaders should contribute to communication and let people know the benefits that will come with change.

Good company to work for

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

CEO has integrity and it filters down to the rest of the company. I always feel that the company tries to do the right thing for all its associates.

Cons

The holiday and vacation policy. I think we only get 7 paid holidays per year and two weeks of paid vacation for the first 5 years. That is less than any company I have ever worked for.

MSC Industrial Direct Photos