MSC Industrial Direct
www.MSCdirect.com Melville, NY 1000 to 5000 Employees

MSC Industrial Direct Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014
MSC Industrial Direct – Maumee – “Branch/Call Center”

MSC Industrial Direct CEO Erik Gershwind

Erik Gershwind

Pros:
  • "Consistent hours, benefits, great co-workers"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Sometimes I feel customer service people are my closest allies in the company"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "no room for advancement if you dont play golf with the execs"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Highly segregated feel toward upper management"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Proceed at your own risk......

Account Representative (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFlexible schedule
No micromanaging
Work from home

ConsPoor compensation and commission
Zero chance of any advancement
Poor vacation/sick day policy
No communication between management, VP's, corporate, HR, customer service
Zero accountability at every management level

Advice to Senior ManagementStop looking at the company and employees with rose filled glasses. Can't ship products to the customer in a timely fashion. Customers are fleeing to competitors at a high rate due to poor fill rates and bad customer service. Zero help for the boots in the field. Zero support for outside sales. Get out in the field and LISTEN to the customer.

Fear and Loathing in IT Operations

IT Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than 10 years

ProsJob Stability
The founder, CEO, and Chairman have had a great focus on the business and company growth.
Some really great people work here.

ConsI've been with MSC for a long time. I've seen some good people come and go and there are still some good people here.
The current environment in IT Operations is dismal and has been for a while. The CIO has put his people in charge and they just look out for themselves. It is very miserable in IT Operations.
The whole IT Department is just very depressing to work in.
I'm on here looking for a job because of the situation. I have no problems with my work, but the environment is affecting my family life.
If I could get a job in the Finance or Product Departments where I think people are happy and productive, I would, but I'm an IT person.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy ratings are based on IT only. Especially IT Operations. I like the CEO, although I don't really know him.
I've read the other postings on here and I think they are the truth. Please listen to them.
It really makes people's lives miserable when you put Sr. Directors into positions and they focus on looking good to the Vice Presidents and grind a whole department into the dirt.

No compassion

Account Representative (Former Employee)
Manchester, NH

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for less than a year

Prosgood internal support system and lots of training material

Consno compassion.. will fire someone to replace them with a low wage worker in a heartbeat.

Below Average

Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt's a job, not a career

ConsCompany is run by an out of control HR department. They are so busy that it takes several days for them to even follow up with you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo executive management, the company was recently downgraded, your in trouble, the market knows this. To HR: You are rife with paranoia and drunk with power. To investors: Showing profit through multiple acquisition is not turning a profit and is not growth. MSC uses outmoded tactics and out dated equipment (AS400). It is behind the curve. Decisions move at a snails pace lathered in multiple level approvals, dozens of senseless emails and the worst examples of corporate doublespeak that I have ever seen. Bad=Good, Black=white etc.

Nothing has changed for the better I see.

MW Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than a year

ProsBig catalogs help with snow traction in rear wheel drive vehicles. They also make great door stops or hold up furniture with missing legs.

ConsI have been gone from this Gulag of a company for nearly two years. I see the reviews have continued the downward spiral. I should have sued them for a hostile work environment, but their pockets are deeper than mine and why continue the misery of "associating" with them.

42% growth to make commission? Really? BSM and MM can go.....themselves.

I was in Metalworking sales and I was told my MRO sales were not up to snuff...let me guess, MRO people...you're Metalworking sales aren't up to snuff.

I was told (often) about how crappy Grainger and Fastenal were. Now that I am out of the Kool Aid tent, I see that MSC isn't a pimple on the back side of these two power houses.

What poetic justice it would be if one of these two comapnies bought MSC...not likely though.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou now have the classic 3rd generation management that kills companies.

Meat Grinder

Rather Not Say, I'll BE Fired (Current Employee)

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUpper Management is well compensated.
The Coffee is free.

ConsIf you aren't in upper management you'll be underpaid and over worked.
Human Resources is dysfunctional and is going to wreck the company. If you are a male in Human Resources, you will be limited in your options.
Human Resources will lie to the associates, managers, and each other to get what they way.
They manipulate and retaliate against people who may object to their control.
The top three people in HR are corrupt. So, if you work there or are looking for a job there, DO NOT TRUST THEM. They will abuse you. If they aren't abusing you, then they are lying to you.
IT is run by people who do not understand current technology. The CIO is in over his head and has cost the company quite a bit of money by only hiring and buy from his circle of friends.
The Coffee doesn't taste good.
When I went to post this I saw a number of other reviews with very similar comments. If you're looking for a job here, take notice of the trend. That is the best advice I can give.

The head of HR always says, "The Fish stinks from the head". They would be well served to look at the top management of the two most dysfunctional departments in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementErik Gershwin needs to stop letting others run his grandfather's company. His Uncle and his Grandfather would clean house. Clear out the VPs that are holding you back and ruining your family's legacy. They made tough decision in the past that paid off. Learn from them and you'll be well respected and you'll see a better running company with improved morale.

Very Disappointed

OSA (Former Employee)
Albuquerque, NM

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than a year

ProsCompany car, gas and expense reimbursment

ConsUnbelievable amount of redundant paperwork and online training that take away from selling time unless you want to put in 14 hour days. Having a branch manager that is a paperwork queen, gender biased and apparently so afraid of management above, she takes everything literally and has no imagination outside of company. Culture is a joke and HR is not there for you. Have no idea and do not want feedback from "feet on the ground". They already know better from their "research". Way top heavy on managers for everything and they all have their agenda that gets dumped on field sales in the end. Try going to the field for once and see what real work is.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit the fascination with Fastenal already. You can't stay in the fast lane constantly looking over your shoulder. Not every area is CAP machine capable. Get out of New York and see the rest of the country. Not all "research" by desk jockeys is accurate. It is usually just a best case scenario, not real life. Let your sales people do what you hired them for, not what a ladder climbing BSM needs to fill her bonus bag.

MSC Industrial Direct - Not a happy place to work

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPay for senior management and above.
Location. If you live close to the office.
CEO is a smart and likable guy.

ConsI don't want to rant here, but HR tends to be abusive, don't follow their policies, and has a track record of lying. There are suites against the company for firing as retaliation for complain. The CIO has a reputation for giving business to his friends.
It is possible to work here and stay away from the Drama. The drama (aka HR Dept) does tend to come to you.
I would recommend only working here if you can't find another job. This is not a happy place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the CEO would focus on who he has in charge and putting the right people in place on his executive team, I'm sure he could increase productivity and cut out the low moral.
Culture is a big word. If you mean it actually hold VPs and Directors accountable to it long before you expect your front line to be.

Breathing down your neck management, crap pay

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than 3 years

ProsM-F schedule...paid vacation, sick time

ConsPay is horrible. Constant absent management, they abuse there privileges by taking 3 hour lunches, coming in late, leaving early, talks on phone with friends family, never around. But if you are ONE minute late because of traffic you have to sign all these forms, get spoken too, possibly written up. It's very micro managed, management does not lead by example. They have favorites. they have attitudes and act as if since they are managers/supervisors, that exempts them from doing any work what so ever. Extremely stressful. Gained 30lbs since working there, and currently on anti depressants. I make just a little above minimum wage...so I don't know why they other people reviewing are saying they make $60,000 because that's a lie. It's more like $25,000. My building I work in is disgusting and falling apart, I have a mouse trap underneath my desk(I did not put it there, it was there since I started), there's ant traps in the bathroom, kitchen and more rat traps scattered around the place. Buckets around the building because I roof leaks. Management would rather use budget money to re due there offices instead of fixing building. They take advantage of the young, computer savy associates, giving them more work and responsibilities then others, rather then the more experienced higher sales associates. I can't stress enough how horrible it is. I'm a current employee but not for long. Also there is no advancement, this is not a "stepping stone" job as they describe, the associates who work there all have been there for 10, 15 & 25 years..and there counting down the days to retirement !!!

Advice to Senior ManagementActually do some work and don't sit behind closed doors all day pretending your working but instead chit chatting on the phone or sleeping (yes my managers sleep at work too)

Weak Company Leadership

Sales Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time

ProsDecent Pay
Can have decent bonus
Customer Service Focused Organization
Some really wonderful people do work there.

ConsErik Gershwin is a nice guy, but lets HR walk all over him and run the company.
CIO provides underperforming systems. Hire cronies and and is not up to the challenge.
HR VPs are dishonest, run the company like the Gestapo, and run the risk of major law suites.

Advice to Senior ManagementErik Gershwin needs to become his own man. He needs to fire the senior people in HR and the CIO. MSC needs to have management that have done this before successfully.
MSC should learn from its competitors. Trust the field people more and listen to their advice.

Worked for MSC Industrial Direct? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MSC Industrial Direct reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MSC Industrial Direct CEO Erik Gershwind. All 72 reviews posted anonymously by MSC Industrial Direct employees.