MSC Industrial Direct Reviews

Updated August 18, 2014

2.6

MSC Industrial Direct CEO Erik Gershwind
Erik Gershwind

Pros
  • Sometimes I feel customer service people are my closest allies in the company (in 6 reviews)

• Great co-workers; good benefits; gives back to the communites they are in (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management simply moves the jobs around between themselves (in 7 reviews)

• Highly segregated feel toward upper management (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Cant Trust This Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than a year

Pros

Potential for growth is good but no on knows how we're supposed to do it. The Davidson offices look nice.

Cons

i haven't been here long and already I feel like I was fed a bunch of lies when I interviewed for my job. Everyone talked about how great our MSC values and culture are but I haven't seen anything close. The CEO keeps talking about how important we all are to our success and then he keeps laying people off. First our head of HR who he said retired but word in the hall is that she was laid off. Then half the marketing team was laid off. Everyone is looking over their shoulder for who is going to be next. the only team that seems to be protected is the sales team even though our results aren't very good People are worried for their jobs. How does that deliver on strong values, culture and a commitment to our associates? I don't plan on staying. Beware.

We are all losing trust in you and your support for our presumed mission statement. You really need to work on it.

Harassment/Hostile Environment

Current Employee - OSA
    Current Employee - OSA

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time

Pros

Great customers, benefits and next day delivery for customers.

Cons

Culture is preached but never followed. Borderline discrimination against women and hostile/harassing environment by Branch and Sales Managers.

Put the policies in place for all branch and sales managers, have HR represent the employees such as OSA's and ISA's. Scare tactics should no be allowed and positive reinforcement should be established.

Run.... Run as fast as you can away..

Former Employee - Sales  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Ummmmm Nothing. Maybe a little freedom as far as working from home. Can't say anything else other then the satisfaction of tour last day of work.

Cons

They will screw you every chance they get. From commission to fill rates, you name it. They tell you to tell customers it's a day to two days for delivery of product....In reality mostly a week at least. Promise everything, deliver nothing.

Can't give them advice, they have all the answers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad Communication

Former Employee - Buyer  in  Davidson, NC
    Former Employee - Buyer in Davidson, NC

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time

Pros

None - the whole experience was very unpleasant

Cons

Scheduled an interview and canceled 30 minutes before the interview. Said to call to reschedule. After several calls and e-mails with no response I gave up. It would have been professional to call back with a reason they were not rescheduling.

If you have someone reschedule their whole day for an interview more notice AND a reason would be the professional thing to do.

Backwards company

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Melville, NY

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than a year

Pros

The satisfaction of resigning and walking out the door.

Cons

Unmanageable work load. Extremely high unrealistic expectations. Upper management was down right condescending on a consistent basis. I was made to feel I had no self worth by my superiors. In short, worst company I've ever worked for. Leaving was the best decision I could have made.

As you might know, everybody in Melville is leaving. Ground has been broken on a second building in Davidson. Melville employees: writing is on the wall, get out and fast. There are companies out there that won't treat you like garbage.

Used to be a great Family Co but now just all about the money. The Soul died with Sid.

Former Employee - Senior Inside Sales Teamleader  in  Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Senior Inside Sales Teamleader in Birmingham, AL

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Many EXCELLENT co-workers!!
     Great product
     Great customer service

Cons

Terminated most people in mid level management that made "too much" money several years ago so they could hire at "local" wages. especially in the South!
    no loyalty to employees
    crappy raises
    top management quit caring after Sid passed and Mitchell left.
    branch managers used HR as a weapon not a tool

Get back to a FAMILY business and the money will come naturally!!

Daily struggle to perform job

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

At one time there was a culture but it is very clear that the culture is long gone.

Cons

The management in place is a boys club and rules with a do as I say not as I do philosophy. A large majority of the leaders are aggressive and unprofessional. The same people keep getting promoted. There is no opportunity for growth. They bleed you dry and give you no praise or recognition for a job well done. If you make a tiny mistake you will hear about it repeatedly for the rest of your career.

Clean house in Melville. Your loyalty to top managers is misguided. Your top managers are the ones ruining the culture and the moral of the associates. Stop talking about culture, your culture is long gone. We may have been a family company at one time but now we are the definition of a "dysfunctional, abusive family".

Nightmare in Melville

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

Free coffee. CoWorkers try to help each other despite senior management.

Cons

The new trend is hire consultants particularly in Melville. I understand wanting to build out the new Davidson facility but at what cost? We are understaffed and when we do get assistance it's a consultant that may have good intentions but is out the door the minute a full time job is available or something doesn't go their way. They are not committed to the culture. They are just place fillers we keep having to train but never really get up to speed. The ownership just isn't there.
    The company is growing head count due to acquisitions but IT senior management has their heads buried in the sand. How can we provide adequate support if they refuse to grow the staff. It's a joke. More and more work and projects with no new hires in IT. Everyone is burnt out from the long hours and having to juggle tasks. Managers spend more time on planes than with their families.

Take a look around. See what you direct reports are up against and get the necessary staff to get the job done. Stop abusing the staff you have.

Proceed at your own risk......

Current Employee - Account Representative  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Account Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible schedule
    No micromanaging
    Work from home

Cons

Poor compensation and commission
    Zero chance of any advancement
    Poor vacation/sick day policy
    No communication between management, VP's, corporate, HR, customer service
    Zero accountability at every management level

Stop looking at the company and employees with rose filled glasses. Can't ship products to the customer in a timely fashion. Customers are fleeing to competitors at a high rate due to poor fill rates and bad customer service. Zero help for the boots in the field. Zero support for outside sales. Get out in the field and LISTEN to the customer.

Fear and Loathing in IT Operations

Current Employee - IT Operations  in  Melville, NY
    Current Employee - IT Operations in Melville, NY

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Job Stability
    The founder, CEO, and Chairman have had a great focus on the business and company growth.
    Some really great people work here.

Cons

I've been with MSC for a long time. I've seen some good people come and go and there are still some good people here.
    The current environment in IT Operations is dismal and has been for a while. The CIO has put his people in charge and they just look out for themselves. It is very miserable in IT Operations.
    The whole IT Department is just very depressing to work in.
    I'm on here looking for a job because of the situation. I have no problems with my work, but the environment is affecting my family life.
    If I could get a job in the Finance or Product Departments where I think people are happy and productive, I would, but I'm an IT person.

My ratings are based on IT only. Especially IT Operations. I like the CEO, although I don't really know him.
    I've read the other postings on here and I think they are the truth. Please listen to them.
    It really makes people's lives miserable when you put Sr. Directors into positions and they focus on looking good to the Vice Presidents and grind a whole department into the dirt.

Worked for MSC Industrial Direct? Contribute to the Community!