MSC Industrial Direct Reviews

Reset
2.8
MSC Industrial Direct CEO Erik Gershwind
Erik Gershwind

Pros
  • Great co-workers; good benefits; gives back to the communites they are in (in 9 reviews)

• Sometimes I feel customer service people are my closest allies in the company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management was down right condescending on a consistent basis (in 8 reviews)

• Senior Management simply moves the jobs around between themselves (in 7 reviews)

Horrible place to work

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

nothing to really speak of

Cons

restrictive, slow to react to market trends, culture-bound, whistleblowing is actually encouraged with a Hotline. Creativity is discouraged. Multiple layers of admin makes it hard to get anything accomplished. VERY slow to move on anything, including the hiring process.

Advice to Management

Be more responsive to your people. Stop encouraging tattle-taling and backstabbing.

Terrible company to work for

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I honestly cannot think of any reason to possibly want to work for this company. And that is to bad because the company has good products and a good value basket, but the greed is noticeable every hour of every day.

Cons

All the company is interested in is the bottom line. commission structure is the worst in the sales business. Turnover is very high in management as well as sales executives.

Advice to Management

Take a look at some of the exit interview comments if you already have not, and maybe listen to a few people and make some changes.

Please read ...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job security - They didn't lay off in 2008 and pride themselves that they don't.

Cons

It's a controlled structured culture with a lack of trust. If you're the creative, think out of the box type, then it's not for you. First year, you only accrue 1/2 vacation day per month. And save them, MSC isn't generous when it comes to snow days. Company policy is opposed to work from home (unless it's overtime) and flex time. Be prepared for overtime. Management will pick a due date and expect you to do what it takes. Your personal time isn't your own. The Melville building is in need of a major renovation and there is no talk whatsoever of fixing the building. Dirty carpets, dirty walls, outdated furniture, cramped cubicles, ceilings that leak when it rains, no sunlight. Beware the interview rooms, they are beautiful. They're supposed to be co-locating with a brand new office in North Carolina. Then why not fix the Melville building? Unless of course the truth is that eventually it will be shut down?

Advice to Management

Renovate the Melville building or fess up that you intend to ultimately shut it down.

Weak Company Leadership

Current Employee - Sales Management in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Management in Melville, NY

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time

Pros

Decent Pay Can have decent bonus Customer Service Focused Organization Some really wonderful people do work there.

Cons

Erik Gershwin is a nice guy, but lets HR walk all over him and run the company. CIO provides underperforming systems. Hire cronies and and is not up to the challenge. HR VPs are dishonest, run the company like the Gestapo, and run the risk of major law suites.

Advice to Management

Erik Gershwin needs to become his own man. He needs to fire the senior people in HR and the CIO. MSC needs to have management that have done this before successfully. MSC should learn from its competitors. Trust the field people more and listen to their advice.

Breathing down your neck management, crap pay

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

M-F schedule...paid vacation, sick time

Cons

Pay is horrible. Constant absent management, they abuse there privileges by taking 3 hour lunches, coming in late, leaving early, talks on phone with friends family, never around. But if you are ONE minute late because of traffic you have to sign all these forms, get spoken too, possibly written up. It's very micro managed, management does not lead by example. They have favorites. they have attitudes and act as if since they are managers/supervisors, that exempts them from doing any work what so ever. Extremely stressful. Gained 30lbs since working there, and currently on anti depressants. I make just a little above minimum wage...so I don't know why they other people reviewing are saying they make $60,000 because that's a lie. It's more like $25,000. My building I work in is disgusting and falling apart, I have a mouse trap underneath my desk(I did not put it there, it was there since I started), there's ant traps in the bathroom, kitchen and more rat traps scattered around the place. Buckets around the building because I roof leaks. Management would rather use budget money to re due there offices instead of fixing building. They take advantage of the young, computer savy associates, giving them more work and responsibilities then others, rather then the more experienced higher sales associates. I can't stress enough how horrible it is. I'm a current employee but not for long. Also there is no advancement, this is not a "stepping stone" job as they describe, the associates who work there all have been there for 10, 15 & 25 years..and there counting down the days to retirement !!!

Advice to Management

Actually do some work and don't sit behind closed doors all day pretending your working but instead chit chatting on the phone or sleeping (yes my managers sleep at work too)

MSC Industrial Direct - Not a happy place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Melville, NY

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay for senior management and above. Location. If you live close to the office. CEO is a smart and likable guy.

Cons

I don't want to rant here, but HR tends to be abusive, don't follow their policies, and has a track record of lying. There are suites against the company for firing as retaliation for complain. The CIO has a reputation for giving business to his friends. It is possible to work here and stay away from the Drama. The drama (aka HR Dept) does tend to come to you. I would recommend only working here if you can't find another job. This is not a happy place to work.

Advice to Management

If the CEO would focus on who he has in charge and putting the right people in place on his executive team, I'm sure he could increase productivity and cut out the low moral. Culture is a big word. If you mean it actually hold VPs and Directors accountable to it long before you expect your front line to be.

Very Disappointed

Former Employee - OSA in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - OSA in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company car, gas and expense reimbursment

Cons

Unbelievable amount of redundant paperwork and online training that take away from selling time unless you want to put in 14 hour days. Having a branch manager that is a paperwork queen, gender biased and apparently so afraid of management above, she takes everything literally and has no imagination outside of company. Culture is a joke and HR is not there for you. Have no idea and do not want feedback from "feet on the ground". They already know better from their "research". Way top heavy on managers for everything and they all have their agenda that gets dumped on field sales in the end. Try going to the field for once and see what real work is.

Advice to Management

Quit the fascination with Fastenal already. You can't stay in the fast lane constantly looking over your shoulder. Not every area is CAP machine capable. Get out of New York and see the rest of the country. Not all "research" by desk jockeys is accurate. It is usually just a best case scenario, not real life. Let your sales people do what you hired them for, not what a ladder climbing BSM needs to fill her bonus bag.

Meat Grinder

Current Employee - Rather Not Say, I'll BE Fired in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say, I'll BE Fired in Melville, NY

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Upper Management is well compensated. The Coffee is free.

Cons

If you aren't in upper management you'll be underpaid and over worked. Human Resources is dysfunctional and is going to wreck the company. If you are a male in Human Resources, you will be limited in your options. Human Resources will lie to the associates, managers, and each other to get what they way. They manipulate and retaliate against people who may object to their control. The top three people in HR are corrupt. So, if you work there or are looking for a job there, DO NOT TRUST THEM. They will abuse you. If they aren't abusing you, then they are lying to you. IT is run by people who do not understand current technology. The CIO is in over his head and has cost the company quite a bit of money by only hiring and buy from his circle of friends. The Coffee doesn't taste good. When I went to post this I saw a number of other reviews with very similar comments. If you're looking for a job here, take notice of the trend. That is the best advice I can give. The head of HR always says, "The Fish stinks from the head". They would be well served to look at the top management of the two most dysfunctional departments in the company.

Advice to Management

Erik Gershwin needs to stop letting others run his grandfather's company. His Uncle and his Grandfather would clean house. Clear out the VPs that are holding you back and ruining your family's legacy. They made tough decision in the past that paid off. Learn from them and you'll be well respected and you'll see a better running company with improved morale.

Nothing has changed for the better I see.

Former Employee - MW Account Executive
    Former Employee - MW Account Executive

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big catalogs help with snow traction in rear wheel drive vehicles. They also make great door stops or hold up furniture with missing legs.

Cons

I have been gone from this Gulag of a company for nearly two years. I see the reviews have continued the downward spiral. I should have sued them for a hostile work environment, but their pockets are deeper than mine and why continue the misery of "associating" with them. 42% growth to make commission? Really? BSM and MM can go.....themselves. I was in Metalworking sales and I was told my MRO sales were not up to snuff...let me guess, MRO people...you're Metalworking sales aren't up to snuff. I was told (often) about how crappy Grainger and Fastenal were. Now that I am out of the Kool Aid tent, I see that MSC isn't a pimple on the back side of these two power houses. What poetic justice it would be if one of these two comapnies bought MSC...not likely though.

Advice to Management

You now have the classic 3rd generation management that kills companies.

Below Average

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job, not a career

Cons

Company is run by an out of control HR department. They are so busy that it takes several days for them to even follow up with you.

Advice to Management

To executive management, the company was recently downgraded, your in trouble, the market knows this. To HR: You are rife with paranoia and drunk with power. To investors: Showing profit through multiple acquisition is not turning a profit and is not growth. MSC uses outmoded tactics and out dated equipment (AS400). It is behind the curve. Decisions move at a snails pace lathered in multiple level approvals, dozens of senseless emails and the worst examples of corporate doublespeak that I have ever seen. Bad=Good, Black=white etc.

RSS Feed </> Embed