MSC Software Reviews

Reset
3.1
MSC Software President & CEO Dominic Gallello
Dominic Gallello

1. It was good. I liked the company culture.

I have been working at MSC Software

Pros

Flexibility to work, great team to work with.

Cons

Salary was not up to the mark. It has to be different for different job functions.

Advice to Management

Increase the benefits and salary for the interns together with opportunities for full time positions.

2. Former marketing analyst

I have been working at MSC Software

Pros

MSC.Software has great people, agreeable work family life conditions and realistic about what is suppose to get done in a day.

Cons

Seemed like some duplication of roles while I was there. Some folks seemed to be skating by.

Advice to Management

A lot has happened since I was there; 3 CEO changes and some biG restructuring of departments.

Moral is low

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at MSC Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

MSC has some great software assets.

Cons

MSC has been unable to successfully integrate the various software packages they own together, and they have been moving development and support overseas to lower costs. This brings down moral in the US, and makes the development work harder due to too many new people in development in different time zones.

Advice to Management

Focus on integrating the solvers and the user interface products, and stop letting key people go.

5. Good group

I worked at MSC Software

Pros

Good working environment, great coworkers. Office layout a bit dated. Good location in Woodland Hills. Matrix management structure. Extremely bright coworkers that helped me improve my game.

Cons

Little interaction with client. Work request filtered through account exec who had little understanding of analytics and its use business. Little involvement with onsite meetings. End result was for the contract not to be renewed at the end of its term.

Advice to Management

Look at the account structure and revise it to allow more interaction between those that fulfill the request and the requestor. Account teams had difficulty working together. Infrastructure was split between server and mainframe worlds with no integration of the two technologies.

Smart people can only do so much

Current Employee - Senior Development Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Development Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at MSC Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get to work with some really smart people, and there are always new challenges to solve. There is always something new to learn (if you have time). Pay is pretty decent, and they give ample holidays (week after Christmas for example). Very loyal customers. Flexible work schedules.

Cons

Low morale among employees. Management has gotten better but there still isn't much support for training in the budget. Very focused on the bottom line, without much vision for the future. Products are outdated, and there is a tendency to "reinvent the wheel" instead of upgrading the current products. Too much micro-management. Not very quick to adopt new technologies.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees instead of always thinking you are right.

Horrible Management equals Horrible Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at MSC Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

With 20+ years, I worked with some of the best people in the business. People cared about products and customers. Too bad they were regularly betrayed by management.

Cons

Moved from one horrible CEO to another. Each one said they had a vision. None were ever wrong. No integrity in management. They do what ever they need to survive in their own careers No integration of technologies after acquisition created silos in every part of the company Current CEO is a shill for private equity

Advice to Management

Fight for your people and products and you will create a culture that produces excellence.

8. A company in transition, getting better every day.

I have been working at MSC Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The CEO has a clear direction and dedication to returning MSC to its former glory. The culture seems like it was pretty bad in the past but a few years of cleaning house is starting to create a better culture and a more healthy outlook.

Cons

It is a privately held company run like a public company with high emphasis on quarterly returns. As may be typical with larger organizations there is a certain amount of politics and blaming that can take place.

9. A view from a former employee

I worked at MSC Software

Pros

Fellow employees are experts in their field and fun to work with

Cons

No vision for development. Each product area is an independent kingdom with little shared between the areas.

Advice to Management

Decide on who you wan to be and move everyone to that vision

Good salary and benefits. Upper management constantly changing focus.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at MSC Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to work on a variety of finite element analysis tools. Middle managers were usually very good. Helpful but not overbearing. Salary and benefits are good. Paid week off between Christmas and New Years was nice. All time off comes from one pot. Bad if you get sick a lot. Great if you don't. Coworkers are great. Lots of smart people willing to help.

Cons

Management does not strongly promote personal growth. I worked for them for 20 years. I made a lot of contributions and my reviews were always excellent until the last year or 2. I was assigned to a project using a technology that I had no experience with. I floundered a lot and did not produce enough. I knew it and often commented on it, but no one suggested corrective action. Then I was laid off. They gave me 60 days notice and 11 weeks severance, but I am still looking. I feel there should have been more training offered to keep skills current. Instead they are hiring offshore or more recent grads at lower rates.

Advice to Management

Push skills training and make it easily obtainable.

Once a global leader continues its downward spiral

Former Employee - Marketing in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at MSC Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Skilled and dedicated employees. Interesting work with a wide variety of customers and customer problems.

Cons

Complete disconnect between the relentless focus on maximizing profit by the private equity owners and the desire of employees to build careers with a company that is respected by its customers. Once world class products have lagged behind to the point that they are almost a joke. Customer defection continues despite "Happy Ears" of executive management.

Advice to Management

Stop thinking that you are the smartest guys in the room.

RSS Feed </> Embed