MSCI

www.msci.com

MSCI Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
MSCI – UK – “A RiskMetrics legacy!”

MSCI President, CEO, and Director Henry A. Fernandez

Henry A. Fernandez

Pros
  • Great work-life balance - all-nighters are uncommon;(in 21 reviews)

• Some very smart people at the top of their games doing some great work(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Very-very weak middle and senior management(in 16 reviews)

• One person expected to perform the duties of several employees or an entire team because of cost cutting(in 9 reviews)

Gives its blessing to dirty politics and bad systems

(Current Employee)

ProsThe ever changing middle and lower level staff from all over. More and more are leaving unfortunately, when they realize no great advances unless connected or brilliant manipulators.
    A potential for good mix of companies, but too many alienated and deceptive things.

ConsReally inefficient systems, and old original offices never easy to work in. Inconsistent and Adversarial office management. Too many VP's and even a few more senior staff running around doing very little except dressing up and smiling when head honchos are in town. Severley technically deficient managers esp in project managing. Severely untrained other managers/officers in general office management, who are stubborn and stressed, at times, even abrupt and unpofessional to outside and inside. A lot of bad promotions past couple years, coming where politically calculated. Hard to really see how the company can go forward with so much bad behavior and morale. Unrealistic deadlines in general for new product, and with terrible home office management and lack of consistency, even crazier atmosphere.

Compensation

ProsIs good because you have good opportunity to learn

ConsThere is no salary scheme.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave better understanding in career development.

Sr Associate

Senior Associate (Current Employee)

Prosgreat company in growth mode with plenty of interesting development areas

Consbusiness lines could be more integrated

Advice to Senior ManagementShould have an employee rotation program across business lines

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, weird culture, YMMV

Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prossome interesting work being done, flexible work schedule, low stress

Consweird culture because of many acquisitions, terrible computing infrastructure, business is facing tough competition, internal politics is huge and firm really needs to be structured to align different business groups.

Advice to Senior Managementmy managers are pretty good for the most part. by your mileage may wary since there are some bad managers that i have heard about

Overall a benevolent employer with high focus on cost saving and sales

ProsVery flexible work schedule, good pay and benefits.

ConsToo many managers and very few people who do the real details work.

Good substitute for typical Wall St. firm

ProsGood culture and interesting work

ConsTop heavy employee structure, relatively bad career path potential

A Corporate Environment That Values High Achievers

ProsMy career was taken to the next level at this company and I will be forever grateful for this opportunity. In my experience, hard work and a demonstrated results will get you places. In recent years the company has really worked hard to improve the career development of its employees -previously it was sorely lacking. There was some good training sessions that I found very valuable.

ConsThe culture and soul of the company is lacking. Make no mistake, it's a corporate environment with strict security and compliance guidelines. At times it can be stifling. Also, the perpetual chasing of countries with lower cost employees doesn't help the morale of those in developed markets. You can either hate it or get ahead of the curve. The company pays decent salaries but it is by no means generous with the perks. Flying internationally in coach for 15 hours gets old. It's possible to fly business class but good luck finding that for under $5k as required by policy. As I said, it has more of the traditional corporate culture.

Also, the Sales teams clearly run the company. It's probably like this at many other companies but I don't find it a positive characteristic of working at MSCI.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to find ways to bring teams together. Offsites or other meaningful investments to bring teams together would go a long way. Globally dispersed teams makes building meaningful professional relationships and rapport much harder. It's just not as much fun coming to work if you never see your co-workers.

Excellent Employer

Vice President (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsVery comforble and warm working environment. Very rich culture. Lots of learming opportuniies. Benifits are reasonable good. Nice and right business models.

ConsCareer developmet. Hard to see and talk to very senior managers.

OK, but needs to admit it's a tech company.And replace tech leadership.

Vice President (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsDynamic workplace. Some awesome people and culture in certain offices.

ConsToo much outsourcing. IT/Tech leadership is laughably bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a CIO/CTO so current tech leadership cannot snow senior management about how out of their depth they are.

Not to many opportunity to grow

Associate (Current Employee) Norman, OK

ProsWork Environment (Most people in Norman are great)
    Vacation and sick leaves
    Benefits
    Fun Days
    Location (cheap living cost thus low salary I guess)
    College Town thus College Football

ConsSalary and title variation among employees with same experience (Sometimes less experience)
    Politics
    Lack of career growth
    March April and May Tornado season

Advice to Senior ManagementShould also communicate with the non-officer level employees regarding the projects rather than just managers.

Worked for MSCI? Contribute to the Community!