MSCI

Updated January 23, 2015
3.1

MSCI President, CEO, and Director Henry A. Fernandez
Henry A. Fernandez

Pros
  • Great work-life balance - all-nighters are uncommon; (in 24 reviews)

• Some very smart people at the top of their games doing some great work (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Very-very weak middle and senior management (in 16 reviews)

• Aggressive offshoring to emerging market cost cutting strategies with no evaluation in its effectiveness (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Usual corporate atmosphere with better than usual benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MSCI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- There are great benefits at MSCI. Women get 16 weeks of maternity leave and men get 2 weeks of paternity leave. There are discounts to local gyms, yoga in the office, etc...
    - Office has amazing views.

Cons

- Usual politics
    - A lot of staff in "emerging market centers" where salaries are low
    - Focus on sales people and not much career growth for non-sales positions
    - Management is out of touch with junior level employees

Horrible Compensation Structure

I have been working at MSCI full-time

Pros

People doing the actual work are very smart.

Cons

Very vague and unfair compensation structure. Everything is know at the end of the year so there is uncertainity for full year for employees.

Please reward the employees in the US. They are worth every penny. Just focussing on low cost workers in India and China is not going to help the company long term.

MSCI should not be trusted.

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at MSCI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You will have an opportunity to meet people from all over the world, especially people from India and the Phillipines, as you train them to do your job.

Cons

MSCI uses all forms of trickery to extract as much work from employees as possible. The company will tell you one thing and then do another, all without offering a reasonable explanation.

Employees in developed markets are very valuable and worth their cost. Someday you will learn this lesson.

Some very good people and some very odd decisions

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at MSCI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Intelligent people at just about every level. High degree of technology though the environment is locked down a bit. Indexing business makes money without trying and is thus the prized group. A sales company disguised as a financial tech company.

Cons

Lot of in-house applications which is ok but lead to random bugs. Tech decisions are all done out of the cadre in London while the implementation is done by a team in Budapest. Service Desk based in Mumbai can often lead to frustration. Hope you're looking for a position with the indexing side, otherwise look out.

At least one local office support person would help a lot, i've seen people be without a computer for 3 days at times. Cost cutting of personnel leads to higher turnover on those thinking they're next.

Unfocused driving, no accountability and tired, paranoid culture

Current Employee - Client Coverage in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Client Coverage in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MSCI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Highly skilled associates

Average to decent salary

Resources from the hybrid of organizations

interesting projects

Cons

Senior management care only about themselves. Local office heads and senior veterans not motivated to really help underlings. Often make it known they despise their role.

in tricky market we know not where we're going. Fragmented data, models and meetings.

Clannish, devisive behavior interfering with client mtgs, conference participation and trust.

Favoritism, etc.

Guidance and accountability seriously lacking in the Coverage, Project Management and Facilities units. Particularly in the New York and SF Bay offices. Good luck getting any emails answered. Or seeing any consistent meetings out of them.

Outsourcing so much that we've chopped off our own feet and it's a challenge to go forward. Especially without vision, communication, trust and fairness.

There's a lot we would like to give, but we've seen others shot down for nicely doing so. What is clear Is that leadership needs to change and vision needs to be clarified. After that, professionalism re-instilled in what used to be a great company. Pay attention to your product formation teams, new sales and upsells. Also to local office management and HR, to help with these areas. We can really hit walls when we need basic questions answered. That wastes even more time and productivity. Also look at who actually has shown up to work through the years instead of working remotely and not findable. Then keep telling us where we're going so we can actually do our jobs.

Stay far far away!!!

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Rockville, MD

I worked at MSCI

Pros

New technology to learn deal with. Hmm having a really hard time comming up with pros for this company after working for them for 8 years.

Cons

No respect from sinior management. Lack of communication. What sinor management decides goes no matter how wrong it is. You are nothing but a number to them. All they care about is the buttom line. I miss the good old days of RMG :(

Communicate and trust your employees and you will find that they will work twice as hard as if you keep yelling and screaming at them as you do now.
    Your quality of service will greatly suffer as you migrate to “Emerging markets” I would suggest against pushing for this.

Hectic but rewarding

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Berkeley, CA

I worked at MSCI

Pros

Challenging job and worked with a group of very smart individuals. Company planned some fun team building events such as "Fun Day" and "Friday drinks"

Cons

Upper management can be a bit tricky and people are overworked. Too many things going on and not enough resources.

Try to make sure you have appropriate resources in order to complete the jobs without rushing them out the door.

A good company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at MSCI

Pros

MSCI is a leader in the risk management and index business.
    The company has been growing steadily via strategic acquisitions.
    Management is very approachable and open.
    Benefits are attractive.

Cons

There is limited potential for professional growth and there are not that many perks for employees. Also, the tendency is to lead people into becoming very specialized in a specific area, to the point where certain groups seem isolated form the rest of the business units.

satisfied

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at MSCI

Pros

Working to collaborate across businesses, learning a lot from colleagues, open to smart ideas

Cons

outsourcing jobs is a concern

MSCI is changing for the better

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at MSCI

Pros

The company has a very strong braintrust among its employees and does a good job attracting talented people (many employees have advanced degrees, impressive backgrounds at others companies and overall are very bright). The culture is pretty relaxed, but everyone works hard - probably around 50-60 hours a week.

Mid-level managers are empathetic that career paths at the company are opaque, as they face same advancement problems.

Senior management has copped to being aware of general dissatisfaction with the way the company is structured/run in the past and just completed their company-wide engagement survey. The onus is on them to take action in response to employee feedback.

Cons

The company has difficulty keeping its most talented employees - it's efforts to consolidate a leading market position in investment support related businesses has not been flawless and created tension both internally and with some of MSCIs clients. How this will affect the reputation and performance of the company in the future yet to be seen. Prepare for another big bout of turnover after the 2012 bonuses are declared.

Keep working hard towards realizing the synergies from the acquiring your last chunk of companies (ISS, Riskmetrics, FEA, Measurisk, etc) and maintaining the service quality our clients are accustomed too.
    Pay your top performers generously so they stay at the company.
    Be open to employee feedback
    Let the management teams do business their way

MSCI Photos