MSCO

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Mark Stevens

There has been a sea change...

(Current Employee)

ProsI'm pretty sure I have worked with and can identify everyone who's written a review thus far. And while there may have been varying degrees of truth behind them at the time, I can tell you that it's simply not the case any longer.

For one, management has turned over nearly 100% in the past 2 years. Many of the players that had been creating a toxic culture (I'm not naming any names) have been removed. What's left is a close knit team of professionals that know what they're doing and want to foster better client relationships. The clients have started to respond.

Second, the top-down micromanaging of the past has given way to an open forum of ideas whereby the best get pitched, not just whatever the most senior person thinks. Team collaboration is on the rise and needless delegation is virtually a thing of the past. There is definitely a different energy driving day to day decisions.

Clients are doing better, which means the team receives more positive feedback and wants to do an even greater job in the future. This isn't how it was, but it is now. Also, we have food in the break room again.

ConsNow, this is still a very demanding, very chaotic environment. Clients come in frequently and not having a specialty forces the staff to learn about new industries almost daily. I for one find that thrilling, but it's not for everyone. Scheduling is also something that needs work, but you could say that about nearly all businesses that employ staff.

However, if you want to work at a marketing firm with a unique business development model where clients come to us, not commute into Manhattan every day and never get bored by the work, I definitely recommend MSCO.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe ship has been righted. See that it doesn't veer off course again.

Worst environment and culture you can possibly imagine

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou work closely with the CEO and SVP of the company, but if you're a male, that's not a good thing. If you are well liked, you will learn a lot in a very fast pace.

ConsThe list is endless. The environment is toxic and unhealthy. The kitchen is empty with nothing but water and coffee, they don't supply you your own laptop or computer and if you don't answer emails quickly, including on the weekends, you WILL get reprimanded. You are expected to work 24/7 and the culture is that of whomever can stay the longest is the best. It doesn't matter how great your work is from 9 - 6, it's a competition of who leaves the latest. The employees that have been there the longest are the cattiest - gossip is the norm on a daily basis. The company is full of whiners and complainers. In what other company will a CEO hold a meeting to accuse an employee of something that they didn't do, and then not even apologize for it when he is proven wrong? MSCO is honestly a sinking ship and management is most certainly to blame.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix yourselves instead of pointing fingers and blaming your employees.

Terrible work environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Rye Brook, NY

Prosnice coworkers, good food in cafeteria, high speed internet, entertainment listening to CEO's right-wing tirades

ConsWorking for MSCO is a terrible experience. The "author" and CEO of the agency is a volatile and insecure man who constantly berates and humiliates his employees in order to remain in control. MSCO was recently sold to a very wealthy family who decided to put their two inexperienced sons into Senior VP roles and now are making marketing and business consulting decisions without any experience in the field.

Senior management has no idea what goes on behind the scenes. Run by sycophantic lackeys who are willing to throw even the most honest and menial employees in the company under the bus, they fear for their jobs on a daily basis because of the CEO's volatile and strange managerial style.

This company is on a downward trajectory to destruction and I hope I get out of here before it totally implodes on itself.

Advice to Senior Managementreplace yourselves.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MSCO- A great place to start your marketing career!

Account Associate (Former Employee) Rye Brook, NY

Pros-Hands on learning experience
    -Exposure to many accounts and different mkts

Cons-Smaller firm, which can mean it's less stable and fewer opportunities for advancement

A high-stress environment that can deliver a lot of experience in a short time. But don't try to be strategic.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Rye, NY

ProsAccess to interesting projects, ability to contribute in many different ways.

ConsFiefdom. The CEO is the king and the rules change all the time. On a whim.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire serious management. The CEO is a visionary. He is not a manager.

The Launching Pad

ProsI've been here for some time and I've seen nothing but greatness come from our entire team day after day. Talented individuals walk through these doors every morning and don't leave until the job is thoroughly completed and the clients are satisfied. We do what it takes to build businesses. On any given day, you'll go from website strategy to radio script writing to prospecting. The cross training in so many different disciplines, all backed by a solid company mindset, builds skills it takes years to hone at other larger firms. Personally, I find that the best payout you can receive.

ConsThe hours are long, coordination is tough and the clients are demanding, but that's just the nature of the industry. If you truly love marketing and advertising, truly love building businesses and running them as if your own, the hard work is a rewarding experience.

great to work company to work for

ProsTraining is very good here

Consnone I can think of

Advice to Senior Managementnone I can think of

Worked for MSCO? Contribute to the Community!