MSDSonline

Be The First To
Add Photos

Glenn D. Trout

The Blueprint for Business with Millennials

I have been working at MSDSonline full-time

ProsGreat work environment; friendly colleagues; open door policy with HR; hands-on CEO

ConsEntry-level college grads with a frathouse mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiscern maturity levels before hire.

Good opportunity for recent graduates

Sales Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at MSDSonline full-time for more than a year

Pros-This company is a great launching pad to start your sales career after college
-The product is very strong within the industry
-Monthly contests to keep sales people motivated to work towards their goals
-They recently brought in a new sales director who is doing a great job of restructuring the sales team to provide ample opportunities to succeed for all sales reps rather than the select few who had been favored in years past
-Opportunity to move up to senior sales roles as well as management roles within the first few years
-A very fun and casual office environment

Cons-The compensation is not competitive relative to other SaaS firms
-The protocol for account ownership is not clear and it always seems that there are exceptions and loopholes
-The company hires such a high volume of sales reps and the position is somewhat of a revolving door
-While it is nice having a casual work environment, it can be a bit loud and distracting at times

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more emphasis on how to handle dealing with competitors within deals.

Opportunities for the deserving!

I have been working at MSDSonline full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHard work, personal responsibility, and a good attitude are the keys to growth here - I'm not in a "circle" and I don't socialize outside of the office, yet I've seen nothing but opportunities and advancement in my role.

All levels of the company listen and care about what their strong employees have to say.

Change can happen quickly. I love a dynamic environment with movement, this had been a perfect fit for me.

The majority of employees are motivated, dedicated, and intelligent. I genuinely enjoy working with those around me.

The product and company are strong and stable, it's great working for a growing company with a vision.

ConsThere are some immature and entitled employees, they try to drag those around them into their drama. The bad ones can stick out and get more attention than deserved, but they never seem to be here too long.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to enhance the benefits package - the 401K match and floating holiday increases were great news. Have higher expectations, the best will rise to the challenge, the bad will be on here in a month crying about how they couldn't keep up but its someone else's fault. Get rid of the employees bringing others down quicker. Smart and motivated people want to work with other smart and motivated people. No one has ever missed the lazy/dramatic/bad ones that aren't here anymore.

Vibrant, always something new going on

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at MSDSonline full-time for less than a year

ProsLots of incentives, food, fun environment, work goes by fast, they know how to turn up lol

Conscan be slow, gossip in the work place, have to be really friendly to make friends

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more money, put more people on the board get tired of seeing the same names

Typical Sales Company

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at MSDSonline full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRelaxed Work Environment, Young & Rapidly Growing Organization, Great job to learn sales training

ConsToo many sales rep, many sales reps competing with each other and more added all the time. A lot of turnover (typical with any other telesales entry level position). Favoritism among long time employees and upper management is a little out of hand but steps to improve seem to be in the works.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey have changed up the broken sales system of Senior Reps & Team Leads to level the playing field of all of the sales reps. Steps to remedy the situation have been taken and should be a sign of change to come within the organization

Childish and Incompetent

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at MSDSonline full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFun, social atmosphere. Ok place to start if you are willing to overlook the conduct issues.

ConsI worked here as a sales rep for about 3 years, and it's a good place to get some sales experience and training. The culture may not be for everyone, as it was a very frat-like environment. I knew of people who complained about one employee in particular sexually harassing the women, and the employees who complained got into trouble instead of the one doing the harassing. There was definitely nepotism playing into who had the best inbound leads and territories, and there was an in crowd that you wanted to belong to if you were looking to succeed. The managers are incredibly inconsistent with their feedback, praising you for the work you've done one minute and telling you that you need to improve the next. Deal disputes are handled very badly, with it mostly being a popularity contest.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake employee misconduct and harassment more seriously.

Abysmal Management, False Career-growth opportunities

Compliance Services (Former Employee)

I worked at MSDSonline full-time for more than 3 years

Prosupbeat and fun culture, decent job perks, okay office environment

Consabysmal management at all levels of the company: from executive level down, no room for career growth unless working in sales dept, structure and proper process for all levels of operation and service is severely lacking or completely non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire and train appropriate management at all levels of the company and allow for new ideas to move forward instead of disregarding them fully. Appreciate those that you employ outside of just those working in sales for the work they do and the business they bring in and retain. Focus on each and every department rather than solely the sales team, it'll boost morale.

Great Company... Great Culture...

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at MSDSonline full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people, fast growing company with lots of opportunity for advancement. Love the office in downtown Chicago. It's a fun culture with and open work environment. Performers get recognized.

ConsThe fast growing informal culture isn't for everyone. Company is growing fast, so some of the managers are inexperienced and still learning.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep promoting from within. Lot's of great people here.

Terrible

Sales Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at MSDSonline full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of opportunities to win paid time off or half days. Younger group of people so its an easier work environment because everyone is in the age same category.

ConsManagers play favorites based on who attends happy hours or drinking socials. They have standards and rules to follow but if you hang out with your superiors those rules don't apply. Training is not up to par and they need to greatly approve on it.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen people come to you for assistance don't stuff against them if its a question you feel they should know. Every manager has different rules and teaching methods and there should be a universal transparency throughout the company.

An easy place to work if you can suffer through the poor management.

Customer Care/Compliance Services (Former Employee)

I worked at MSDSonline full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey truly took pride in training (at least early on) and the work itself was pretty basic and easy. Culture was fun, growth was promising, and fellow employees were a great bunch.

ConsThe wrong people were kept in the wrong positions for too long. They never could make that leap from startup to mid-sized company with incompetent HR and manipulative managers in place. Year after year career paths were promised but never delivered and salaries were stagnant while the company exceeded sales projections. I am sure the majority of the positive reviews for this company come from the Sales side where it was always a rolling frat party with zero accountability.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the book Toxic Workplace and get the right people in the positions that will foster positive change. Protect employees with real HR.

Worked for MSDSonline? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MSDSonline reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MSDSonline CEO Glenn D. Trout. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by MSDSonline employees.