MSEI

CEO

Great internship experience

Former Employee - Budget and Program Management in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Budget and Program Management in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at MSEI as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

MSEI was well prepared for my first day, already having multiple software accounts set up for as well as my computer and log on information. Everyone I worked with was very helpful and more than willing to help with any questions I asked. My project was well defined, yet still provided me some freedom.

Cons

Sometimes the relationship between MSEI and Biotronik can make things complicated because for most projects/tasks you have to "satisfy two masters". You need to stay within MSEI business procedures in conjunction with satisfying Biotronik operating procedures

Good experience for a recent graduate, but exhausting after some years

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at MSEI full-time

Pros

- Stable industry
    - Knowledgeable co-workers, most of them nice people
    - Small company that allows you to be involved in a lot of areas throughout projects
    - Great experience for a recent graduate. It puts you directly into a demanding work environment that creates good working habits.

Cons

- There is a small number of managers that actually 'run' the company, and if your projects do not align with their agendas, then you are pretty much ignored and/or not supported
    - Promotions into management are fake, the number of 'real' managers remains the same number.
    - Due to its size it is hard to move sideways; not much room to grow in other areas
    - Under-staffed, which causes a lot of work for the engineers (actually for everybody)
    - Projects' priorities change constantly. Sometimes this is really discouraging since you cannot change focus as fast as management changes 'moods'.

Stop making this company work for your personal agenda, and focus on real issues; help engineers.

Don't work for this company in Information Technology. The other departments are fine.

Current Employee - Data Center Engineer in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Data Center Engineer in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at MSEI as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great Company, nice people good benefits

Cons

My advice to you is don't work in the infrastructure department CIN. you will regret it

understand how you people are treating your employees.

Money-wise not a best place to work.

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at MSEI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Less work load.
    Never have to work on weekends.

Cons

Lesser salary.
    They take months to hire, so be patient.

Decent place to work on cutting edge ICDs

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at MSEI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has reasonable time off, good pay, friendly co-workers, there is free coffee daily and donuts on Friday. I enjoyed working with the people there and found engineers to be very competent. Everyone knew what they were doing when it came to the technical concepts. Training was sufficient though rigorous.

They are somewhat invested and interested in new talent. If you fit the requirements they are happy to hire you on.

Cons

Watch your back as there is much micro-managing or watching over your shoulder. Management and tech leaders do not take estimates as good faith based on good engineering principles, they will push their own agenda to meet milestones. This means even if you make a great estimate with high confidence, if it needs to fluctuate, there is no allowance for this in the release schedule. Many late nights and not much thanks for hard work.

Everyone seems to be stretched too thin. Appreciate the depth and breadth of the engineering talent and trust they are using sound engineering principles. Basically, let them do their job to keep moral and enthusiasm up.

Very wise privately-held company, but with a blind spot about training and keeping employees current

Current Employee - Research and Development, Staff Engineer in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Research and Development, Staff Engineer in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at MSEI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wisdom, including an appreciation of the experience of older workers, sizable and achievable bonuses. They don't ask for unusual levels of overtime, in fact, are better about overtime than most engineering firms. Job stability is good, partly because it can take years to learn enough to effectively contribute. People with 15 or more years of seniority are not at all unusual. Benefits are very good. Company's business is doing very well and recession-resistant. Business leaders know what works.

Cons

They don't put any emphasis on training or promoting engineers. Some of the engineering jobs seem dead-end, with no path upward. They never send engineers to trade shows, off-site training, or the like. What little training is done is by PowerPoint presentations, which are inadequate for many things.
    Pay is probably a little below the median, at least until bonuses are figured in. I have a sense of being passed by technologically, becoming obsolete in my field because that is not important to them, and it appears there is no place to go upward in this section.

Take training (to keep employees current in the field) and advancement more seriously. Consider why it's so hard to get and keep young engineers. It could be because of the possibility of becoming obsolete and stuck in old technology.

Great place to Intern with.

Current Employee - Computer Engineering Intern in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Computer Engineering Intern in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at MSEI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, very accommodating for time off and flexible work hours. Can't speak for all of the different groups, but I had a very positive experience at MSEI.

Cons

There are no cons from my perspective as an intern.

Keep up the good work.

Small company, good environment, mediocre pay

I have been working at MSEI full-time

Pros

A family feel, company small enough to get to know most colleagues, yet large enough to have plenty of different people to work with. Fun place to work.

Cons

Poor raises. Some of the systems are archaic.

Pay talent in order to keep it. Be willing to invest in new as well as existing employees. Be willing to invest in infrastructure.

Friendly company, and easy to work for.

Former Employee - Microelectronics Development Engineer in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Microelectronics Development Engineer in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at MSEI as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly staff that are willing to help, plus there is doughnut Fridays.

Cons

Planning and responsibility assignment could be reviewed, particular across my internship experience.

My only advice is referencing my "Cons" statement, and maybe offering an incentive to mentors for doing being a good mentor.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at MSEI

Pros

Medical electronics oriented company that develops and makes products that save lives. Broad technologies, hard core engineering and collaboration with multiple disciplines. Quality and reliability focused but also innovative and creative. Never boring.

Cons

If you are looking for an easy job that allows you to relax this might not be the right place for you.

Keep us more informed about the business, the company and how the company is doing globally. It is good to see the company growing.

MSEI Photos